Basecamp Help

Cone

Basecamp Help

Post by Cone »

So I have plotted out a number of trails local to me (within a 20 mile radius) I have 36 of varying lengths and difficulties and plan to try and ride these all in a few weeks time on a long day.

So my issue.

I plotted the tracks and converted to routes and made a long track... too many points Garmin said NO!

No I have fought with it and decided the best way to proceed was to plot waypoints at the start of each trail so the garmin would navigate me to the start of each trail and then redirect me to the start of the next trail and so on. Will this work? Are there any other ways!!

Currently it looks a little bit of a mess of a route! :lol:

But base camp want to make me shoot myself!
Cone

Re: Basecamp Help

Post by Cone »

A picture of the mess!
84EC3FEA-B3D6-4156-A57F-1F3278DA68C1.jpeg
84EC3FEA-B3D6-4156-A57F-1F3278DA68C1.jpeg (198.88 KiB) Viewed 8246 times
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

Well I'm certainly no expert with basecamp but you could try filtering the track if it's saying there's too many waypoints.

There may well be other options but I think your waypoint at the start of each track (trail) idea is fine and is what I would do.

In my experience if it looks a bit messy in basecamp on a largish laptop screen it's going to be a nightmare trying to make sense of it out on the trail on a small Montana screen ( if that's what you're using ) so better just do it stage by stage navigating to start waypoints and tracks.

I don't bother with the route function for trails, if the track is loaded in the Montana I locate it in track manager, hit 'view map' then 'Go' and it will highlight it in a nice visible purple line , it won't have navigation prompts but you don't need them for dirt.

Just my 2 centimes worth anyway... :)
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

There doesn't look to be too many waypoints to me. Why not change the colour of each track then you see each individual track clearly.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Cone

Post by Cone »

vRSG60 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:46 am There doesn't look to be too many waypoints to me. Why not change the colour of each track then you see each individual track clearly.
That’s not the issue, currently there are about 38 waypoints. I want a routeable map that will do a circular trail ride (ish) so plotted it with way points. Once I get to the trail I can follow it on the map.

I do intend once I’ve ridden it without getting lost to convert the track to a route, that’s the only way I can understand really to do it. I’d like to understand this better for the taffy next year !
~ACP~

Post by ~ACP~ »

There's no two ways about it mate. If you want to use the GPS for trails / green lanes you HAVE to use Tracks. Once you've got the track you have to stick with it.

When you convert to Route, the GPS always tries to take you the way it thinks is best to get from Waypoint A to Waypoint B. Which, invariably, is not the way which is best for the user. Hence the mess you've got on Basecamp.

The only way to do it is the rather laborious method of creating a Track. A Track is a non-deviating line which will show on your GPS unit. It doesn't go waypoint to waypoint but track point to track point. You can have thousands of track points - the limit is massive. If you deviate from the track the unit will not try to recalculate your journey.

You could use a start waypoint. Use the GPS to navigate you to there, then use the Track from that point on...

Lots of tutorials on youtube, Garmin etc.

HTH, Andy
Last edited by ~ACP~ on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

I used to use Waypoints but found them a bit inflexible and also tended to bung up "my collection" with loads of "road 1" etc which my OCD said was too untidy.

What I do now is use the function in "tools" which is a pencil with a + at it's tip. I think it's called edit (I'm not at my Basecamp computer at the moment). If you select it and click on the route it allows you to drag and add a point and then it updates the route accordingly. These points are added to the route direction but don't appear anywhere else (to my knowledge). Similarly the eraser allows you to take out any spurious directions (like double backs, strange routes round housing estates or off ramp excursions in the middle of a long motorway stretch) that Basecamp occasionally adds :roll:

Also with Waypoints you can zoom right in, right click on them and select move position to refine the Waypoint location, which can sometimes make a big difference.

Circular routes are a problem because your start point is the same as the end point so "You're already there". I plot these as an out route and a return route.

Hope that's of some help ;)
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

As ACP said
Tracks are better for off road. never had any issues with too many points. (some of his tracks have literally millions of track points :lol: :lol: )
you should be able to convert your route into a track if not start new track and just trace over your route.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

zimtim wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:53 pm As ACP said
Tracks are better for off road. never had any issues with too many points. (some of his tracks have literally millions of track points :lol: :lol: )
you should be able to convert your route into a track if not start new track and just trace over your route.
I agree,i always use tracks. I plot my journey on bikehike.co.uk or viewranger then save it as a GPX track to basecamp. I then download the track to my GPS. As GPX tracks dont tell you which way to go and you are only following a line on a screen(this can be complicated if your track crosses itself a few times) I will then add a few numbered waypoints over the t,op number ascending so i can see which waypoint i should be at next. There are probably better ways but it has worked for me. I don,t plot on Basecamp because the map is too basic unless you download a detailed map to it. Tracks can usually handle 500 points per track and you can formulate a few different tracks and have them all showing on the map so a long trip becomes seamless.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Gonna try your method Frenchy, I find Basecamp a bloody nightmare even with the detailed maps it just seems to have a mind of it's own.
I have spent a couple of hours at a time working out a large loop only for Basecamp to throw it's toys out the pram at the final stretch..it's bloody awfull software.
Its a trick............get an Axe

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”