Any one use Tomtom rider sat nav?

ColKay

Any one use Tomtom rider sat nav?

Post by ColKay »

OK so planning my first EU trip for the summer. I live up North along the Moray Coast in bonnie Scotland. Want to do some England shire warm up runs, any one use the tomtom rider? what version? im thinking tomtom as i have one for the car and i already know the operating system. Tried Garmin and hated every interfaced minute of it. At the moment i am using my smart phone and google maps which is OK but then i havent had to rely on it yet and not 100% sure it will be up to the task in the middle of open country where a phone signal is a mere rumor!

by the way using quadlock phone mount, Sena SMH5 head set, and my Samsung S7 is a great set up.

I will also be going along to the MCN motorbike show in Edinburgh, first bike show for me, will they sell satnavs there? get a demo of one / explanation of the features?
Be careful, if you cant be careful be lucky!! :D :D :D
Helicoptermanr22

Re: Any one use Tomtom rider sat nav?

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Got the 450. Very easy and straightforward to nav
jonesthesteam

Post by jonesthesteam »

Used a 400 for my first Euro trip and it was perfect, never failed me and always put me right very quickly when I took the odd unintentional detour, like you I find the TT interface a lot easier to use than Garmin

Trouble is they are quite pricey new, I picked mine up second hand off this very forum, may be worth posting a wanted ad

Jonesy
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

Mine's the 2013 model

Love it

Plan routes in Tyre

Planned all the way to Poland via Rotterdam, Germany and Austria then back via Czech Republic

Use it to go to ABR rallies in the UK as well

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

ColKay

Post by ColKay »

All good news, the car version has been pretty good, i use it with common sense as it is one of the very first XL models not sure how old but must be a good few year now, cant even update software any more as tomtom stopped the update packages.

Will wait till i been to the show, see if they sell there or even better if they have any deals on them, like you say here "bit pricey" but im hoping well worth the readies
Be careful, if you cant be careful be lucky!! :D :D :D
Benson-1215

Post by Benson-1215 »

Have on of the the last V5 riders and use Tyre to travel never had a problem and good off line planning
only downside its no use on Mac's so have to get the old laptop out.
"I came into this world with nothing and with careful management
I still have most of it left'
ScottHeyden

Post by ScottHeyden »

Used a Rider on my last Euro tours, no problems at all.
simonw

Post by simonw »

I'm using a Rider 400 with no problems. But, if you're used to the "old" style interface on your car sat nav (tap the screen, tap "Navigate to..") then the new interface will drive you nuts till you get used to it. And then you'll calm down and it'll be alright :-) The new functionality is better, but it takes a while to appreciate that.

I've used it with Tyre and other open source route planners, but currently use MyRouteApp, which is the successor to Tyre. You can sign up for a free account here: https://www.myrouteapp.com/en. It's really easy, and in many respects better than Tyre, especially if you pay for the Gold version. Route planning is really easy. What gets a bit more complicated (and I'm still trying to get my head around it) is the difference between a route and a track, and how the TomTom deals with deviation from your planned journey. This is more a question of interpretation and getting your head around which is best for you (route or track) rather than a problem with the device.
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

It's not perfect (2013 model)

If you plan a detailed route and then when travelling miss a way point it will try to get you back to the missed way point. So you have to delete the way points to where you are then you can carry on.

Easy solution when travelling is to just put your end destination in and choose the type of travel - fastest, scenic etc - and then it will always recalculate from wherever you go allowing you to wander off wherever you choose

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

chrisjk

Post by chrisjk »

Use the TomTom app. On Android it's just like the Rider 450 satnav. On IOS it lacks the saved preplanned routes option which is a shame however a cheap rugged Android phone can be had for less than £100 and makes an excellent nav device.

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”