Quite impressed

GB

Quite impressed

Post by GB »

My mate who lives in ibiza has just bought one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-GP ... Ciid%253A1 for his VFR he has stored in my garage until he gets a chance to ride it back to the island.

I'll be honest its quite an impressive piece of kit for the money and thats from an avid Montana user! It has profiles so you can set different routing options, like a montana, it came with European mapping, blue tooth, FM, MP3 player, photo and video viewer, microsd card slot, car mount and car charger, handlebar mount, the mount is powered so you don't have to plug in everytime, light weight and the batter life seems ok. There is also a thumbscrew a the back to lock it in place, fully waterproof and seems pretty tuff.

Not quite sure what maps or mapping it uses so no idea if you can update etc (but if I recall there is someone on the site who is familiar with these units)

This all sounds awesome and for £85 it is, but would I buy one, no I wouldn't and the only reason is I'm a Mac user and it doesn't support IOS if not I probably would.
If you are looking to tour Europe and want a budget bike satnav, and use a windows Pc yeah this will do it.
Finally back on a GS :D
Kebabmonster

Re: Quite impressed

Post by Kebabmonster »

I've been hunting for a review of one of these for a while now, and never found one.

I know the purists will say go Tom Tom or Garmin, but for how much I would use one (maybe twice a year), this review makes it just what I'm looking for.

I think the same company (or similar) are now doing a 5" one for about £93 iirc.

Cheers for the info.
Milo Tighfield

Post by Milo Tighfield »

I used to have one. For the price its good VFM. It used Igo8 map/route. I never plannned a route like you can add waypoints with a garmin but it could be done, however I typed in where I wanted to go and it got me there no problem. Eventually upgraded to a garmin
samfan

Post by samfan »

I have been using one for about 3 years in my my car and on bike, It has blue tooth and a helmet speaker plug , It does the job for me with no problems and cost about £80, I am not prepared to pay rip of prices for things that are no better.
GB

Post by GB »

Kebabmonster wrote:I've been hunting for a review of one of these for a while now, and never found one.

I know the purists will say go Tom Tom or Garmin, but for how much I would use one (maybe twice a year), this review makes it just what I'm looking for.

I think the same company (or similar) are now doing a 5" one for about £93 iirc.

Cheers for the info.
My only grip is it doesn't use IOS if not I would have one, not sure about speed cameras either.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Igo8 is tomtom based...lots of truck satnavs off ebay use the same software, ive one and its as good as garmin for heights etc...but for bikjng i prefer garmins
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Are these any use for green landing? I much prefer using maps but I am thinking of plotting a route from Derbyshire to South Wales in the summer using as many lanes as possible, which would require a lot of OS maps to purchase and carry. If this unit would do this it could be worth the money.
Cheers Jak
deksawyer

Post by deksawyer »

GB wrote:
Kebabmonster wrote:I've been hunting for a review of one of these for a while now, and never found one.

Cheers for the info.
My only grip is it doesn't use IOS if not I would have one, not sure about speed cameras either.
Macs don't use iOS though.....but there are various ways to get Windows software working on a Mac.

D.
GB

Post by GB »

deksawyer wrote:
GB wrote:

Cheers for the info.
Macs don't use iOS though.....but there are various ways to get Windows software working on a Mac.

D.
Yes, I know what you mean but I don't want to install or use a partition etc so unless it can use apple software its not for me.
vRSG60

Quite impressed

Post by vRSG60 »

I had one of the older Rupse units running Igo8 great unit. The Igo 8 got me out of a spot when the TomTom so called Western Europe maps stopped at Belgium, no Germany Austria or Switzerland
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”