Quite impressed

V-Rider

Re: Quite impressed

Post by V-Rider »

Have to say based on GB's review I bit the bullet and bought one of these.
It's a brilliant little bit of kit, the mapping is IGo mapping - which I understand can be easily downloaded onto your smartphone, but its mainly the sat nav unit you're paying for.
It's ruggedly built, fully waterproof (tested in Scotland's very changeable weather!), easy to navigate and use with gloves on. The powered mount is brilliant, clamped straight onto my KTM Adventure bars with no issue and even came in orange trim colour to satisfy that little vain need to match a little orange with the bike!
The software itself is brilliant, easy to use and link up with bluetooth, instructions are clearly displayed and the unit tracks well. Prior to purchasing a sat nav I was looking at software I could plan a multi-stop trip on and transfer it to the sat nav. With this one there's no need, its very intuitive and easy to add extra stages to your trip, so you can plan it, save it as a favourite trip and pop it in its holder and off you go....
Would I recommend it? Thoroughly! If you're after a basic sat nav that will do all you need it to, great. If you're after one with OS mapping and for off roading and gnarlier stuff, this isn't for you. But then, its an £85 sat nav. For the money it works very well and you can't ask for more than that!
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

All of this sounds OK....what is the screen like for quality and in direct sunlight?
OSM don't work on it or is there a way to get them to?
:)
Will It Buff Out?
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

The screen is OK in direct sunlight, just have to turn up the brightness to counteract it.
With respect to OSM maps, I guess it could be loaded onto a micro SD and loaded onto the sat nav, you just have to tell the sat nav where to look for it and it should load. The sat nav itself runs on Windows CE so even the mapping you're provided with is like an 'app' within the software.
But then again, I'm no expert! I could be wrong but having looked through it, I think it's possible. (thumbs)
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
STRATARIDER

Post by STRATARIDER »

Hi, i bought a RAGE 4.3 a few years ago and it appears to be the same as this.... I have memory map on it loaded from a micro SD card. I can use it like a "live map". but i am unable to upload a plotted out route on to it, or download a route that has beed tracked on the device, but it is useful to make sure you are on the byway UCR etc

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”