Motorcycle sat nav

Whippet

Re: Motorcycle sat nav

Post by Whippet »

Question- Can a BMW Navigator 1V be used as a gps for tracks (off road) as something like a montana if the correct soft ware id downloaded on it, I believe the Nav 1V is the same as a Zumo 550 ? I'm trying to save myself a few quid (thumbs)
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Depends if you can load the maps really I have my doubts but try installing the freeware talkytoaster map which will have trails on it.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Having never owned a satnav, I'm somewhat out of touch with what is possible with what these 'trail' models. I know a lot of what I want can be done with a smartphone, but not everything. I'd like to be able to track where I've been, but also be able to mark impassable routes for future reference. I'd also like to be able to find a route from a to b using just unsurfaced trails. I also want to be able to mark favourite off-road places. So which devices can do this?
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
herman

Post by herman »

osmand on a smartphone will do all that.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

herman wrote:osmand on a smartphone will do all that.
I'm not impressed so far, whatever mode of transport I select, even walking, it keeps to the main roads and misses all the tracks.
herman

Post by herman »

make sure snap to road is disabled :)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

OK, it's still sending me across some farmland to the road instead of down our track, but that could be because our track is private, not public. I'll have to try it out on the bike to know for sure how good it is.
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

sprintster wrote:I'm not sure which satnav is best but you won't need one for the NC500.As long as the sea is always on the same side you're heading in the right direction! :silly:

:laugh: :laugh: You'd be right there!

That said though reference Morocco, there's more for me to think about here but, I would look at doing some light off-roading, I'm by no means a dirt god but some dirt / gravel trails would be my kind of thing, rather than anything more technical.

I'll have to do more research but at the same time I don't want to fork out an absolute shed load of money on a brand new unit. I'd rather have a slightly older unit that works well etc.

Does anyone have recommendations as to software? Does it have to be garmin specific or are there others out there?
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Theres a few phone apps been mentioned on here recently for trail riding
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

I have a Garmin Nuvi in a waterproof case can use it in car and on bike use that for all my road work and then have a garmin Etrex 20 for the off road bits.

both are mounted on the dash of my 950Adventure so on big day out can take both and "I never get lost :whistle: :whistle:

I use the ramball mounts with penny washers under to keep them secure.

this might help
http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/adventure/125 ... t-nav.html

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”