new laptop and mapsource

bikenav

new laptop and mapsource

Post by bikenav »

Recently obtained a new laptop so been spending a really great time trying to setup similar to old one. For route planning etc I use mapsource much prefer it to basecamp, loaded new machine with BC easily and MS second try so far so good. My old files are mostly in GPX format and a few in GDB, this laptop windows10 I beleive, opens all Gpx with BC I even uninstalled BC and still seems to reinstall it itself and open in BC! Tried to change the Default opening setting to MS but in settings by file type for GPX it is BC with no apparent way to choose MS as an alternative whilst the default for GDB is MS so it does see MS. Hope that makes sense to somebody who can help. Please help me get back to mapsource!! :(
I am no computer expert but surely there must be a way.
Thanks Paul.
frenchy3

Re: new laptop and mapsource

Post by frenchy3 »

I tried to use mapsource as i used to find it easy on my old computer. Although it will still function with certain platforms you cannot update it(it is obsolete) and it now defaults to basecamp. I have learned to live with it and use basecamp just as a route holding area to easily upload and download GPX files. For UK routing i plan the routes on here http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php and you can either send the files directly to your GPS unit or save them as a file to Basecamp. I use firefox and had to install Garmin communicator as well to let the GPX files become compatible with Basecamp. I am sure there are many other ways of achieving this but i am not very computer savvy and it took me ages to get as far as i have.
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

What version of mapsource you using? Latest and last was 6.10+ and apparently works on windows 10. Althougn new garmins dont work with mapsource but as you said use gpx or convert gpd to gpx...mapsource can use gpx....
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Hi Paul. out of interest why not just go with BC?

Regs

Simoj
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

The Spanish Biker wrote:Hi Paul. out of interest why not just go with BC?

Regs

Simoj
Probably because the learning curve is so steep it's practically vertical.
Having said that I've persevered with it.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

vRSG60 wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:Hi Paul. out of interest why not just go with BC?

Regs

Simoj
Probably because the learning curve is so steep it's practically vertical.
Having said that I've persevered with it.
I've hear this comment before but honestly cabin's understood it. I'm notoriously the worst computer user in the world - comes from never, ever reading the instructions! :whistle: - but I find BC totally intuitive and work masses with it, including organising my HISS events which is probably a much more complicated use than most folks would us it for.

The only PITA is creating routes that go where you want them to rather than what the machine 'thing's is best, but all you have to do is set up intermediary waypoints and put them in the right order and Bob's yer uncle.

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

ello all and thanks sorted it GPX now defaults to MS, Frenchy I also use bikehike very good for UK trail/small road/mtb stuff if you are running widows10 and want MS back I could try and make a list of what I did and post. Bywayrider my MS and CN is the one that came with my zumo 2008 dont see that this update millarchy has any real importance myself would like the Balkans on my version of CN though, planning a trip there started all this my old comp was crashing.Simon spent a good few years now with MS so pretty conversant with it, I am not the best with this sort of thing by the time I learn BC that would probably be as obsolete as myself too, although I do dabble with it on occasion.
Quick questions while here
What practical advantage does BC have over MS then? Adventures, on screen route/track database something else?
Where can I acquire cheaply CN complete with the Balkans for the laptop -I have (a copy) that runs on my montana OK but make do with OSM outside W Europe on the laptop.
And Frenchy in return for the BikeHike tip have a look at this looks usefull I especially like the many mapping options not really tried it yet.
https://kurviger.de/en?point=56.99741%2 ... =Omniscale
Thanks All
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Bc is far superior fo ms for trail riding in its ability to cut join and alter waypoints

Ms is far easidr to plan a road ride...

Have a look on ioffer for latest cn mapping whole of europe inc balkans on a sd card unlocked, so copy and use one in pc other in satnav...store cuztom gpx files in a folder inbyour computer simples...

I use both ..

http://www.ioffer.com/c/Software-100791 ... +navigator
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Thanks,i do use windows 10 hence why i had to go to basecamp. I will give the alternative mapping site a go :) :) :)

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”