Garmin Montana planning your route question

Kinioo

Re: Garmin Montana planning your route question

Post by Kinioo »

I used/tried plotaroute.com - I use it for my MTB - and it worked well.

Exported the route to Montana no problem, then used it in City Navigator.

Great!

Thanks guys!

C.
GB

Garmin Montana planning your route question

Post by GB »

Kinioo wrote:I used/tried plotaroute.com - I use it for my MTB - and it worked well.

Exported the route to Montana no problem, then used it in City Navigator.

Great!

Thanks guys!

C.
That is a great website, very easy to use, really intuitive. Thank you.
Finally back on a GS :D
WIBO

Re: Garmin Montana planning your route question

Post by WIBO »

Hi

For what it's worth I use Basecamp only for saving any routes I've ridden.

Of course depending on the route you want to take,I go into the settings,route and click what to avoid,i.e. autroutes,U turns or main roads etc.

From here I use Route Planner in the actual GPS and mark where I want to go to and from. Either use names, waypoints or the map itself..e.g. to arrive at a crossroads for a rendevous etc.

When traveling I find this method useful as the night before I leave I can look at wikepedia for any bigger towns/places en route the next day and see what there is that may or may not interest me.

The GPS will do it for you with out the need for a PC. If you experiment with the Route Planner it works really well..you can remove any places..move them up or down in the list and when you have a route planned you can click Map.

If you give it a minute it'll show the route first as a straight line then it'll work it out showing the route and if you click further it'll give the ride time along with other details

I use this to such a degree that I've never used Basecamp to plan routes.

As an aside this works also if you have Open Street Map....it'll route between your place choices off road if trails are shown.....I use this method extensively in Morocco when off tarmac..it'll also give ride times in this application most times.

:)

Will It Buff Out?

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”