Tom Tom rider problem? Make an informed decision before you buy!

SomersetJohn

Post by SomersetJohn »

Ladies and gents If your considering purchasing a new Tom Tom rider maybe on the strength of articles in ABR, before you part with £299 PLEASE STOP and do a bit of research, because I wish I had!!! Check out Tom Toms own forum for a kick off.
The punchline to this sorry tale is that the screen reacts to the slightest amount of rain, as soon as a drop or two hits the screen it goes off into some menu or whatever it feels like doing, anything but showing you the actual route your taking. I've done everything suggested angled it at ten degrees, tried to shelter it behind my windscreen etc but as soon as a drop of water touches the screen it just throws a fit.
Now for a motorcycle sat nav screen that doesn't work in the rain, to me that's a pretty big fundamental flaw, obviously none of the design engineers were motorcyclists, because as an engineer myself one of the requirements I would have added at the design review would have been:- 1) Display sceen must remain stable during rain.
I know one of Garmins engineers is a motorcyclist, because their sat navs don't f@cking do this.
I am on my second brand new sat nav and guess what, yep still the same. Tom Tom seem to be in denial that they have a problem as far as they're concerned it passes all their tests. My guess is they know they've f@cked up big style with the screen but have produced thousands, sold thousands, so let's keep quite until the twelve month guarantee runs out, deny everything. They're obviously into this for quite a lot of cash just look at the amount of advertising in ABR.

So here's my extra test, Tom Tom can have this one for free, it can be an addendum to their test spec.

a) Plan a thrill (really)
b) ready to ride route is displayed 'let's go'
c) prop it upright on the kitchen sink ( preferably near a window to maintain satellite reception) angle at 10 degrees (critical)
d) run a tap (cold preferably.....like the f@cking rain)
e) place up to four, but no less than two fingers horizontal under the running tap maintain that position for no less that two seconds.
f) once you have decided on a number and maintained your two seconds move your hand smartly but smoothly across to hover over your sat nav and turn your hand vertical (fingers down) shake gently at a height of about 30 cm.
g) should the screen react to the slightest drop of water, take a big f@cking sledge hammer to the whole batch, then adopt commercial company procedures and sack the f@cking person that built it, promote the f@cking person that designed it and give the manger a big fat f@cking bonus.

As a postscript don't bother using Tom Toms website contact form ring direct and vent on 02079490132
Ginger

Re: Tom Tom rider problem? Make an informed decision before you buy!

Post by Ginger »

John - is this the newest model (400? the slim line looking one) or the TomTom Rider 13?

I have the 13 (and the original before that) and it has never been a problem. However, I am considering an upgrade.
SomersetJohn

Post by SomersetJohn »

Hi Ginger, It's the swish new rider 400 with the metallic sides the one you can orientate vertically. I used a car Tom Tom in a givi bag for years, thought I'd upgrade to a "proper" motorcycle sat nav :S
drdaveboy

Post by drdaveboy »

can't say I've had that problem with mine and I'm very happy with it
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

SomersetJohn wrote:Hi Ginger, It's the swish new rider 400 with the metallic sides the one you can orientate vertically. I used a car Tom Tom in a givi bag for years, thought I'd upgrade to a "proper" motorcycle sat nav :S
Thats really crap and sorry to hear about it. You've been unlucky, but honestly a proper motorbike sat nav with a screen which works is worth it.

Take it back, not fit for purpose.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Tourider

Post by Tourider »

I've had one for about a year and haven't had an issue in rain but it is mounted in an area protected by a screen.
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

I've got a Rider 2013 and it's been fantastic
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Sorry I use Garmin units so dont know,does the Tom Tom have a screen sensitivity setting [possibly in a hidden menu]?
ZX Raziel

Post by ZX Raziel »

I have not tested mine in the rain yet , thank you for the heads up (thumbs)
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

See if you can find the diagnostic screen.....possibly keeping the power button down as it boots,on some differnt makes it may be activated by pressing on one corner of the screen during boot up.

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”