Do you use TYRE TomTom Software?? I am having issues!

Africa John

Re: Do you use TYRE TomTom Software?? I am having issues!

Post by Africa John »

Not had a problem using the version that came with my TomTom Rider 2013

Registered it with Tyre and it's been fine. Speed can be a bit slow but that is because I am on a desktop PC using powerline connectors (ethernet through power sockets) and it will probably be the same using a laptop over wireless

Once I realised that the TomTom recalculated the route between each Tyre waypoint I got cleverer at determining where the waypoints should be for the route I wanted to follow. You can't be too specific in Tyre with loads of waypoints to plot an exact route due to the waypoint limit in TomTom. It's either waypoints further apart for lomg routes or break it up into multiple routes.

Once I'd learned this I've been happy ever since!

John
adventuredon

Post by adventuredon »

never got on with tyre as it was so slow to recalculate routes and more. Motogoloco was also a child of the app generation and i gave up on that. I use google maps for general overview, then plot it in basecamp (garmin) and it works. Tom Tom are tooprone to change what they want their software to do -loss of lifetime updates, different mapping etc-. If I need to I use ITN converter to view/edit google maps and then send to my garmin device. and itn is free. I think tyre now charges. motogoloco seeems clunky so gave that a miss after trying once
sven

Do you use TYRE TomTom Software?? I am having issues!

Post by sven »

I have no real problems with Tyre and it's really quick, although I have an i7 laptop and fibre optic broadband.

You're correct about the routing being different between Tyre and whichever GPS device you're using, so it's important to test the route on the GPS and add additional waypoints as necessary.

The other issue is pre-planning Alpine routes in winter when the passes are closed as Tyre won't plot routes over them, although the routes do go over the passes when you run them on the GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MotoGoLoco

Post by MotoGoLoco »

sven wrote: The other issue is pre-planning Alpine routes in winter when the passes are closed as Tyre won't plot routes over them, although the routes do go over the passes when you run them on the GPS.
This one's a result of Google Maps and it's API being too clever for it's own good. We have the same issue on our mapping system, and are waiting on a reply from Google to see if can be disabled.
KtmRy

Post by KtmRy »

I have a old tomtom rider but if i want to put a gpx file on it (i don't know if this has already been mentioned i've had a quick look through but i can't see owt) then all i do is plug the tomtom in and open it up in windows explorer, find a folder labeled gpx2itn and put your gpx file in there and it converts it for you and shows up on the tomtom

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”