Garmin GPS 60CSX help

stubbs

Garmin GPS 60CSX help

Post by stubbs »

Can any one help me with the set up of this unit to read TRACKS? When I upload a track I have been sent, how do you get to follow it? I can get the track on the screen but the pointer does not follow the track you have to manually move the screen. Within the settings I have "Track Up" and when I get near a way point within the track I can hear the bleep and get a circle around the black filled arrow head on the screen, so the unit must be reading the track just not following it ? The "route" navigation works fine. Is the only alternative to open the track in map source click around it using the route tool and thereby convert it to a route? As you can gather I am not that GPS savvy so if you can reply then please keep this in mind, thanks.
g00ner

Re: Garmin GPS 60CSX help

Post by g00ner »

You may find the problem is one of reception. If you aren't 'seeing' the satellites (or not enough of them) your device won't respond in the correct and required manner

A simple way to increase reception is to line your helmet with foil, thus increasing signal gain strength

Try it this weekend and report back.

Note: Don't go out if it's looking like a storm is coming. It'll ruin the electrics on that 690 (again) (thumbs)
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Not used mine for a while but I think you have to select it in menu and then select "track back "
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
stubbs

Post by stubbs »

redbikejohn wrote:Not used mine for a while but I think you have to select it in menu and then select "track back "
Tried the track back option but did not appear to work. Having selected the start point on the track and thinking it would track back to end it just drew a straight line to the end ?

Gooner : Do some work !!!
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

The track back function on the 60csx only works for the track your device is currently recording. Tracks you've saved in the past or have loaded from someone else are only lines. You will have to watch your screen and turn where there's a kink in the line/ a junction. If you leave the line, the device won't prompt you. The turn by turn function only works for routes.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Have a look on youtube, there are some very good tutorials on there by a guy called jobybyme
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

if you want to follow an arrow, load your track into basecamp, add some waypoints to it, convert it to a route, hey presto. then your arrow will point to the next waypoint (remember when you active the route it will ignore waypoint one, so put in a superfluous one.

Set your offroad transitions to "auto" then it will just flip to the next point when you reach one.
stubbs

Post by stubbs »

thanks all, will take a look at You tube and try converting on basecamp/mapsource
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

it will probably give you far too many waypoints than the device can handle and when you try to upload it will say "route truncated" and beep at you.

download GPS Babel and put it through that, choosing the max waypoints option and setting it to say, 20

or, an easier way is to plot a new route with the track open in basecamp. just drop some waypoints on top of it at relevant turns or whatever and save as a route. Simpler.
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

What's the trouble with looking at the screen every now and then and follow the line on the screen ? Yes it can be difficult at times but that's a bit like life I'd say.
It'll end in tears I tells ya.

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”