Garmin Zumo 590LM

viince

Re: Garmin Zumo 590LM

Post by viince »

Horizonti wrote:Lairyskippy, do please give us a short review once it is set up and running on what you think of it. I'm considering investing in one myself.

Cheers. Horizonti.
lots of info here
http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?action=forum
if that helps

I have upgraded to a 590lm from a 550
550 blew the screen on holiday in Germany /austria
3 days in to a 2 week break
so had no choice really
did try a tom tom rider for a few days
couldn't see the screen
so when I passed the shop on return leg
in innsbruk
they exchanged it for a 590lm
first impressions it is as easy to use as the 550
few new features like lane assist
check all the features and posts on above link

the jury is out
need to use it for a while longer

cheers viince
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

Thanks for the link.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Hi, the advise I got once in a similar situation was "when all else fails RTFB" (read the ***** book) good luck much as I love my Garmin it is a love hate relationship. I have found the best way by far is to give it to the wife to do, she is at the moment updating the 660 (read)pulling hair out lol :laugh:
Horizonti

Post by Horizonti »

Thanks for the link viince, have just registered and am awaiting approval so I can browse.
Cheers.
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

Homer wrote:Hi, the advise I got once in a similar situation was "when all else fails RTFB" (read the ***** book) good luck much as I love my Garmin it is a love hate relationship. I have found the best way by far is to give it to the wife to do, she is at the moment updating the 660 (read)pulling hair out lol :laugh:
I've got no chance then as my missus hated my 550 with a passion so I'm on my own wih the 590!
pegasso650

Post by pegasso650 »

Hi I just updated to the 660LM as it was a lot cheaper than the 590 (some good deals on Amazon) the 590 didn't seem to do much more than the 660 other than control the verb and has a different screen and doesn't play audio books. Had a problem with the audio on the 550 only played in one speaker and was very distorted. The 660 certainly sounds an awful lot better. Haven't been on a decent trip yet off to Spain & Portugal next month will be able to give a better report when I get back
exrm193

Post by exrm193 »

There is a switch just inside the battery compartment that you need to change from "Normal" to "retarded, work shy, techno knobber"
That may help.
exrm193

Post by exrm193 »

Lairyskippy wrote:
I've got no chance then as my missus hated my 550 with a passion so I'm on my own wih the 590!
HTF could she see it from the kitchen??
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

exrm193 wrote:There is a switch just inside the battery compartment that you need to change from "Normal" to "retarded, work shy, techno knobber"
That may help.
Tried that but it seems that it can only be accessed by a useless ginger twat so you'll have to show me how to get into it...........and it's amazing what she can do from the kichen :lol:
Horizonti

Post by Horizonti »

Since posting have been busy researching the Zumo forums and other sites and have now invested in a Zumo590 and a Touratech locking mount...
Handlebar mount for Garmin ZUMO 590 LM *lockable* black - Touratech GPS brackets - GPS accessories - Navigation | Touratech Ltd
...to hopefully keep it secure!

First impressions are very good, using it in portrait mode in the car and landscape on the bike is handy. Seems to recalculate your route within a few vehicle lengths if you divert. Not got audio set up on the bike yet or had time to play with basecamp or other mapping options yet but will get around to this when time allows.
The Touratech mount is a work of art and seems to hold the unit nice and steady. It wouldn't take long for someone to unbolt the whole thing off the bike but at least it will prevent a quick grab while you are paying for fuel etc.
Am off on a tour of Britain next week so will be looking at loading up some routes before I go and giving it a decent test. Fingers crossed!

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”