Peaklife vs Rage gps systems

TomBoyNI

Re: Peaklife vs Rage gps systems

Post by TomBoyNI »

jasext wrote:Yes i still do the cards.They come with full easy to follow instructions or you could send me the device and i can do it for you.
And can you give me an idea of cost please, PM me if you'd prefer.
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
jasext

Post by jasext »

PM sent.
xpt666

Post by xpt666 »

Hi All,

own a Rage GPS for several months now with Navigon(7.7.5) running on the SD card with no issues.

Now I want to try it running using the internal memory of the GPS without succes.
The program starts way faster than before but i get the message "no maps found".
Been editing the file "applicationsettingspatches" but still get this error message,

Any help appreciated,

Thx,

Xavier.
africanik

Post by africanik »

Hi all,

I want to share some info that may come handy to Rage owners...

I recently bricked my Rage while trying to uninstall MioPocket. MioPocket installed smoothly and was working fine, but one day I decided I did not need it anymore... I did something wrong and in short, I ended up with a digital photo frame showing just the horrible boot picture for 20" and then shutting off. The reset button on the back didn't help.

After a lot of search I eventually managed to find a working firmware specific for the Rage. It's linked here:
http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/threadid.1396622
The file (http://m5.img.dxcdn.com/CDDriver/CD/sku.250570.zip) contains directories named in Chinese so they show up with funny chars. That is no problem, one just has to copy all files from the innermost directory into the root dir of a freshly-FAT32-formatted SD. It worked perfectly for me. After flashing, the System Information page shows:
Rom Version: V.912C.710001.121205.4G
App Version: V.1.0B-NUI19-SD-USA-07.20

The ROM version seems to be newer than what my unit arrived with (I had V.912C.710000.120723.4G), but the app is the same and there's no visible difference in the interface.

I hope this can save hours of searching to others in a similar situation - at least, for me it was not easy to find a specific firmware for the unit.

Of course I do not recommend flashing the ROM unless you have bricked your device and have no other way to boot it!

Nicola
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

This thread has every attribute of why I switched from Windows to Mac.

I prefer things that "just work." Life is too short to be messing around like this.

(On the other hand, I do run Windows XP in a VM on my Mac so I can run a native mode version of Garmin's Mapsource rather than that bastärd of a Mac program called Garmin Basecamp.)
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
akendall1966

Post by akendall1966 »

Great find africanik - copy downloaded and stored away just in case (thumbs)

@Tim - "I prefer things that "just work." Life is too short to be messing around like this." Don't disagree with the sentiment, but as you have found with Mapsource, sometimes the mass-market just don't deliver a viable solution. Then you have to mess around, or as I prefer 'get creative' ;)
Vujeva

Post by Vujeva »

Hello,
recently I bought Rage GPS. It is second generation with 8GB internal memory
It arrived with IGO software and maps.
Unit works fine, but problem came with Bluetooth connection to my helmet headset.

I have Cardo Scala Rider Teamset PRO and Cardo Scala Rider Teamset

I couldn't connect neither of those with GPS device.
When "SEARCH" is turned ON unit sees and finds Cardo Scala Rider but pairing doesn't works.
It looks that Bluetooth hardware works, but software doesn't.

So far I didn't made any software changes and unit is in same shape I received it.

Help, please! :( :( :( :( :(
pieterv

Post by pieterv »

There might be some useful info here:
link
Charliebrm

Post by Charliebrm »

There are two different Regedit.exe programs being linked in this thread. The one that matches the instructions from akendall 1996's original post, as its functions are described, is more like this other one linked by someone else - http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... =10#287526

That has a version of v.011 for WindowsCE
Copyright 1997, Eiichiro ITO

However, it is buggy on my Rage and comes to a dead end when I select Export, as the screen prompts for entry in two fields: Name: & Type:
At that point the next screen to appear is not displaying correctly anyway and I have to power down the Rage and restart.
africanik

Post by africanik »

I also got confused by the multitude of different regedit versions (from MS or otherwise), most of them seemed to be broken one way or another.
I can however suggest a couple of tricks I found after I updated the firmware, and that are a bit simpler than the original recipe. Both use stuff that is packed with MioPocket - download and unpack it on your PC - but don't be tempted to install it on the rage!

Method 1:
Among the stuff you find in MioPocket, you find a keyboard app, JOTKBD.EXE , as well as a Regedit.exe app. Copy both on your SD; then set the navi path to JOTKBD.EXE. When you launch it, it stays on top, but does not capture the screen; so that you can move it a bit aside and reset the navi pat to regedit; launch regedit and now you have it open with a keyboard. Voila'! Of course, if the regedit packed with MioPocket does not work for you, you can do the same with any other regedit app that works on your device.

Method 2:
This works if your rage firmware lets you switch between USB and ActiveSync mode, or if it comes with ActiveSync as a default mode (as I think it was in my case), and you have a Windows PC.
Connect the Rage to the PC; On the PC, establish the ActiveSync connection. In Win 8.1 this is done with Windows Mobile Device Center. (As by MS tradition, it sometimes connects smoothly, sometimes requires some fiddling). Then, locate and run the Mobile Registry Editor in your MioPocket download (under ExtrasWin32Mobile Registry EditorMobileRegistryEditor.exe). This reads the Rage registry through ActiveSync and lets you edit it. It is much handier than modifying it on the device.

HTH... let me know otherwise

BTW, I have been testing the Rage on a short offroad trip in Morocco in Feb. I was using OziCE loaded with IGN maps. Testing conditions included rocky trails, some sand, a lot of dirt and also quite some rain and mud (!). The Rage worked flawlessly. The only (obvious) problem is the screen luminosity: with plenty of sunlight (even indirect) the display is barely readable, and it gets even worse with dust and rain. I found it almost impossible to use for offroad navigation, at least without slowing down to look at it - not fun. I ended up relying on my old B&W Garmin GPS V (which I luckily had kept mounted on my cockpit). However, I still found it useful to have detailed topo maps at hand to look at, for track logging, etc.
I had put an anti-glare (matt) film on the display, that reduces direct glare a lot but I have the impression that it makes the screen less visible with diffuse light, especially when it gets dusty.
At the end, I will keep the rage as a gadget for the next trips, but I won't consider relying on it for navigation. A pity, let's hope for an improved model with a much brighter display and maybe with Android...

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”