Garmin Montana/Oregon Thread

Simon_100

Re: Garmin Montana/Oregon Thread

Post by Simon_100 »

Tramp wrote:Back on track please you bimbling baboon,s....lol

Its a montana thread not bloody spanish food..
Hey Russ, remember that 'joke' test paper that said, "Read all of the questions before starting to answer? :whistle:
The Spanish Biker wrote:Back on topic - at last I hear you cry! - you can find it here is you have a Garmin: N41 07.080 E1 15.497 :whistle:
Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
WillS

Re: Garmin Montana Thread

Post by WillS »

Simon, the wine was well spotted, but no comment, wine and riding? These really do not go together, well not for me anyway, these Spanish & French are reared up on it from an early age!! At my age I need all the concentration I can get on and off-road :whistle:
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Battery cover issue??

I have picked up one of the Go Outdoors price match -10% deals on a Montana this week. I'm happy with the price, but the build of the unit seems questionable to me.

The battery cover has a small gap all round it and the cover moves when pushed from the side or top. I think the seal is probably OK, but it is very disconcerting to have this level of movement on a brand new unit and concerns me as to the long term fit!

I should say that the battery is firm in the case, so I doubt it's the issue reported in early Montana's 2-3 years ago...

Is it normal or do I send the unit back?
MHsnowy

Post by MHsnowy »

No movement in the battery cover on mine.
Although I do put 3 old foam earplugs in there to stop the battery moving.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

MHsnowy wrote:No movement in the battery cover on mine.
I've seen that tip elsewhere too ;) However, on a brand new machine with what appears to be quite a lot of rubber padding in the battery compartment already, this seems a bit OTT.

I am more concerned on the long term implications for the units waterproofing....
DoctorFeelgood

Post by DoctorFeelgood »

1st post so be gentle :P .

Just picked up a brand new Oregon 550t for the bargain price of £125. The seller was given it as a present, but never even took it out the box as he was self-admittedly a technophobe.

Its just the boxed GPS without any map bundles, so will get about downloading a few maps onto a uSD card and have a play with the routes and tracks on my KTM 640Adv over the festive period.

Just a heads-up that I'll no doubt be re-reading the entire 56 pages of this thread, and posting up some basic questions.

Also need to sort out a secure clamp above the clocks tucked in behind the windshield.....pics to follow no doubt (thumbs) .
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

had a problem with my montanna ..wouldnt connect to the computer...

rang them up and posted it last thursday ..recieved a brand new unit yesterday no quibbles ..i even gained a extra battery as ididnt send mine with the unit

the unit worked fine ..just woudnt comubicate ??

anyway its good to find such exelent back up ..cant knock them for their service

good to know (thumbs)
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

SteveR wrote:
MHsnowy wrote:No movement in the battery cover on mine.
I've seen that tip elsewhere too ;) However, on a brand new machine with what appears to be quite a lot of rubber padding in the battery compartment already, this seems a bit OTT.

I am more concerned on the long term implications for the units waterproofing....
I gave up in the end as I just wasnt happy and sent the unit back to Go Outdoors, they screwed up the replacement device I requested so I had to through Customer Services and jump about a bit to get another at the same discount rate (thumbs) :angry:

The replacement is a transformed beast, nice tight fit. (thumbs)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Doctor Feelgood, there are numerous sellers with DVD's of European mapping that have been produced to give an easy experience in getting them to work! (thumbs) Also some hooky versions of City Navigator that might work with the 550?

I got the Iberian Peninsular, France and the Low Countries for under a tenner.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

minkyhead wrote:had a problem with my montanna ..wouldnt connect to the computer...

rang them up and posted it last thursday ..recieved a brand new unit yesterday no quibbles ..i even gained a extra battery as ididnt send mine with the unit

the unit worked fine ..just woudnt comubicate ??

anyway its good to find such exelent back up ..cant knock them for their service

good to know (thumbs)
Agree with that view, I found them excellent with my Zumo when I dropped it late 2013 and tried to get it fixed. Garming provided a complete "new" refurb unit for less that a fix from the GPS Doctors AND it came with new battery and fully updated mapping and speed camera database.. (thumbs) .

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”