What does this sign mean?

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
Womble

What does this sign mean?

Post by Womble »

Out today to check out some of the lanes around me, I came across two which are marked at UCRs on the councils highways map, definitely there as UCR's , not that you'd have any idea on the ground, each has this signage, which sounds ambiguous...

apologies for sideways view, some able to rotate it? I've no idea how!

Enfield Himalayan... apparently they're Marmite... not keen on Marmite, but like Vegemite
YBR125... the little adventure steed of awesomeness
Tonibe63

Re: What does this sign mean?

Post by Tonibe63 »

IMG_20211217_175415.jpg
IMG_20211217_175415.jpg (122.93 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
Looks like a made up sign to me rather than official Council sign.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I think it says "Public route to public path"...?
If so, I'm guessing that the person who owns that land has put up the sign and made the route available to the public so that users don't go down, say, the other side of the field...?
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

new one to me
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Before there were byways there were Roads Used As Public Paths....the signs look newer than that though.

In Cambridgeshire there used to be signs saying Drift Road on some rights of way. I think they were originally drove roads for cattle, but I used to ride them and no one ever complained.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

my guess is that the farmer is saying `ok, this is a legal route through my field, si cant stop you going through, but it dont go anywhere legal, just a footpath ... so eff off and find somewhere else ro rip up,`
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

It's a legit Dorset County Council sign, they are in my opinion misleading. What they should say is public road leading to a public bridleway. The route is a UCR and part way along it there's a Bridleway branching off.
Rights of way law requires public rights of way to be sign posted from the nearest paved road, hence the "To" used in this sign.
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.7403308 ... 312!8i6656
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Route marking and signage can be very confusing as councils and highways authorities like to play by their own rules, bit like F1 really :!:

One way to protect yourself with route planning is to join GLASS and use their mapping solution Trailwise2, TW2. There are maps which show the route plus providing information about the legislation and characteristics of the route.

https://www.trailwise2.co.uk

Around the Peak District there are numerous footpath and bridleway finger post signs causing confusion but there are additional waymarker discs; black arrow on white background for Unclassified highways (UCR) and red arrow on white background for Byway Open to All Traffic (BOAT).

TTFN

Hugh.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

I know it’s off topic…
161CF009-4F83-4A83-AEFB-302D1E448587.jpeg
161CF009-4F83-4A83-AEFB-302D1E448587.jpeg (275.3 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
Womble

Post by Womble »

Thanks all, as snaf mk2 pointed out it is an official Dorest County Council sign, but I wasn't sure of the meaning, thanks for the clarification, makes sense to me as in it leads to another RoW with an access change. I could join GLASS or rejoin the TRF (from many years ago), but I really just want to ride a few accessible local lanes on my Himalayan, nothing gnarly like the TRF boys enjoy. My interest in green roads has been largely just riding an old lane, not the technical challenge, very much green lane riding instead of trail riding, in the Ian Thompson tradition :)

Thanks again all

PS I do like the sign above, can only assume the rider took it quite literally!
Enfield Himalayan... apparently they're Marmite... not keen on Marmite, but like Vegemite
YBR125... the little adventure steed of awesomeness

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”