Sarn Helen

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
PaulinBont

Sarn Helen

Post by PaulinBont »

Been out for a spin and passed the start of the 'Upper Sarn' road from Heol Senni -Mountain Centre. The ' No Motorised Vehicles' sign has been there for some time now ( possibly erected illegally by the Brecon Beacons National Park). The signs have had the desired effect of deterring Trail Riders from riding Sarn Helen, now suprise suprise ' Road Closed' signs have gone up.

Well seeing as no-one is using it......., why maintain it?.............
Last edited by PaulinBont on Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyboy

Re: Sarn Helen

Post by garyboy »

`road closed`? ... so they are admitting that it is a road?

apparently, when i looked into it a few years back, the bbnpa have the authority, given by the government (secretary of state) to nation parks, to write their own laws, as to road use?

I keep wondering where this closing of trails, paths, roads, will end? ... will they simply be lost? ... or will they all be reinstated by a popular rebellion in the far distant future?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I had the Welsh Finance Minister and the policeman in charge of 'off-roading' in the BBNPA both agree the TRO signs were not legally placed.
The finance minister wrote to the BBNPA on my behalf asking that the signs be removed.
They fobbed her off, saying they could do what they liked.
I still have copies of the letters, if anyone is interested...the TRF appear not to be and ran a white flag up on this some time ago.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:06 pm I had the Welsh Finance Minister and the policeman in charge of 'off-roading' in the BBNPA both agree the TRO signs were not legally placed.
The finance minister wrote to the BBNPA on my behalf asking that the signs be removed.
They fobbed her off, saying they could do what they liked.
I still have copies of the letters, if anyone is interested...the TRF appear not to be and ran a white flag up on this some time ago.
Id like a copy please
Its a trick............get an Axe
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

a lot of trail riders left the trf because of this .. no support for welsh matters from the trf.

several people tried to engage with the authorities .. with am's, mp's, councils, police, locals, bike clubs, etc etc ... but nothing came of it all ... too small a biking base, not many votes involved, big walkers base, powerful parks authorities backed by government .. and many incidents of yobs on bikes doing antisocial things and going illegal, emphasised by the media.

but the fight continues ... perhaps now with new leaders willing to commit to the cause?
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

I rode that section a few weeks back Paul, and the evidence is it's being used despite the sign. I was surprised to find the lane taking you off the trail toward the xroads had been graded, last time I rode it there were deep ruts down there !
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

The Sarge wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:56 pm I rode that section a few weeks back Paul, and the evidence is it's being used despite the sign. I was surprised to find the lane taking you off the trail toward the xroads had been graded, last time I rode it there were deep ruts down there !

Echoing Richard’s (and Gary’s) response on the TRF’s lack of willpower to fight the BBNPA, it was my main reason not to renew my TRF membership . As you quite rightly point out Sarge, riders will just stick two fingers up at the National Park and right it anyway:)

This time last year, sadly, someone riding a MX bike up the high street was killed when he wheelied into a tree ( illegal, unregistered off-road bikes are a major problem and annoyance here)-whilst the Police Off-Road Team sit on Sarn all day hoping to catch someone riding Sarn. Shows the power and influence of the National Park Authority.
Last edited by PaulinBont on Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

IMG_20201212_144306.jpg
IMG_20201212_144306.jpg (84.69 KiB) Viewed 2514 times
Daithelimp

Post by Daithelimp »

Hi, im looking to dip my toes into some off road riding (green lane/TET type stuff appeals) .

I've been been riding road bikes/track days for years but not so keen on that anymore but the reducing amount of places to ride is really concerning and putting me off getting a bike.

Interested in off road years, did a little bit as a kid and done the dave Thorpe enduro day but no other experience off road (apart from mountain biking).

Is it really getting that difficult to ride legally these days? I don't want yo buy a bike then get it confiscated. Especially interested in the South/mid Wales areas
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Daithelimp wrote:Hi, im looking to dip my toes into some off road riding (green lane/TET type stuff appeals) .

I've been been riding road bikes/track days for years but not so keen on that anymore but the reducing amount of places to ride is really concerning and putting me off getting a bike.

Interested in off road years, did a little bit as a kid and done the dave Thorpe enduro day but no other experience off road (apart from mountain biking).

Is it really getting that difficult to ride legally these days? I don't want yo buy a bike then get it confiscated. Especially interested in the South/mid Wales areas
Well it’s not getting any easier and some of the Moronic 4x4 destruction isn’t helping off-road leisure use

Last weekend on a BOAT in Yorkshire

Can’t even be arsed to open gates now, so blast through fences now
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”