Introduction to Green Lanes

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
tuftywhite

Introduction to Green Lanes

Post by tuftywhite »

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I'm not sure where to post.

Harvey and I are trialling a new venture to guide folk on rides out, on road, off-road or a combination of both.

We're aiming this for people who are either new to riding, aren’t yet confident planning routes or for those who just want some company guiding them on a ride where the planning is already done. We’re offering single days out to multi-day trips, tailored to your requirements, alternatively, we can suggest areas to explore around Great Britain.

To start off we're proposing a day's introduction to green lane riding. The lanes will be small and big bike capable, so if you've always wanted to give it a go, now could be the time!

For these dates we’ll be operating in the Grantham/Boston area. If you're interested then email us for further information: [email protected]

Dates available: 8th/9th/15th/16th/17th/18th October.

Pricing for this is £60 for the day with a maximum of 3 people each day. You don't have to organise the group, but if there are two other people on the day you want to go, your price would be £20. If your group has two people, it will be £30 each.

Thanks for your interest.

Tufty
tuftywhite

Re: Introduction to Green Lanes

Post by tuftywhite »

As it has been a week since I posted this, I thought I would comment.

This has to be the most polite forum of all forums. Which is partly why we chose to post our first 'toe in the water' here.

However, we were expecting comments. Even if they were suggestions that our services weren't needed.

So, is this a totally bad idea? I realise that most people on here are experienced and can do stuff for themselves, but any comments or suggestions, good or bad would be welcomed.

We look forward to reading your comments.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

I'm a little surprised that nobody has piped in so here's my take on it.

Great idea as there is a call for this.
What you're offering is a commercial enterprise, are you proposing liability insurance, correct insurance for yourselves, risk assessments etc which will be needed to keep yourselves legal.
For the money your asking I'd suggest offering your services free on here and you'll most likely find that people will buy your lunch and fill your bike up if you stop for fuel at the end of the day. In my own experience I've found from taking strangers out that you gain much more than the money you're proposing.
I've also found that charging for anything makes a hobby a business, this has the effect of changing not only your perception but also the clients.
A commercial rate for this would be £60-£140 a day per person based on a minimum of four and there's plenty of people who will pay that.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

What Snaff said is about the best advice you'll get.

A mate of mine in the building trade said to me: "As soon as you set up a business, you find you are surrounded by men in suits with their hands out."
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I think, to be fair, most forum members here know enough about greenlaning to be able to do it anyway.
There are people out there who know nothing other than they would love to give it a try, but generally they will need to hire a bike, and the gear, and need a bit of at least basic instruction on private land before you set out.
That starts to be serious money...and for that they will probably want more predictable weather and a higher range of dirt to tar than anyone can offer in the UK
tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

Brilliant comments so far.

The original post was a bit of a feeler to start things off, hence the price. You're spot on with pricing etc. Have also taken advice on insurance so that's understood.

Also a good point about offering it for free on here. We'll have a chat and possibly sort something out.

I've noticed on other forums that there are quite a few people who are waiting for someone to organise a ride out somewhere so they can tag along. It was decision to post here, where most people are competent at all aspects but we'd get the least abuse, or post on sites where we know some potential customers are, but possibly get slaughtered by others.

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming. :)
biker

Post by biker »

It's a good idea and hope it works for you, trouble is you're competing against more scenic areas. Years ago used to do some from Nottingham to Grantham and Sleaford but a lot of them were RUPPs so don't know what the the currant situation is in those area apart from north Nott's. However my wife want to give gentle greenlaning a try so when our building work is done we'll be in touch.
All the best
Jim
I AM THAT I AM
PeteDuke

Post by PeteDuke »

I personally think you have a great idea here. However may I suggest you have a link to your website, if you have one. Its the way forward.
Geecee68

Post by Geecee68 »

Its a good idea and you wouldn't be the first;

https://surreygreenlanetours.co.uk/

They seem to do good business and I see them out and about around my local (rural) area.

They tend to be smaller groups, bike provided or not, kit provided or not. Pub lunch usually...a bit more hands on that a TRF beginners ride (remember money is changing hands).

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”