Claerwen Reservoir Trail

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
bikenav

Claerwen Reservoir Trail

Post by bikenav »

Hello there, Many are probably familiar with the Claerwen trail the one that runs along the northern shore of the res, it is very popular and I have ridden it many times myself, unfortunately there is a short bit to the West of the Claerwen Farm that apparently has no Right of Way, A couple of weeks ago this fact was being enforced by the Police by turning people around. Making people aware in case your making a big plan centred around riding it, also I noticed it featured in the recent ABR Green lane guide probably elsewhere too. Its a long way to go around especially on a little bike on cold winter day..If you have not done it its probably worth riding the legal bits and turning round where they end. See map below. Sorry about the resolution (Discoverer) Its the red bit that has no R.O.W apparently.
:( :( :(
Screenshot (75).png
Screenshot (75).png (865.69 KiB) Viewed 3071 times
dibbs

Re: Claerwen Reservoir Trail

Post by dibbs »

Thanks, im hoping to ride that part before the year is out!
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

My understanding (no longer up to date) was that the farmer was OK if people asked permission and were respectful

Sadly, once a route has been 'featured' a few times, that goes out of the window.

I've had a number of encounters with landowners that have concluded with "Oh, you're OK, ride where you like."
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Well !!!! ... if the trail has been `featured` in a top magazine, and called `favourite`, photographed endlessly by all sorts of adventurers .. wot dyoo espect :lol:

People are eternally looking for great places to ride, cycle, walk etc etc .. just read a few sites on fb !!

It was believed that the farmer owned the land the ((illegal)) trail is on .. but he only owns the bridge, apparently .. so must have been quite bemused with people asking him permission ? :)

then people thought the owner was the water board .. but the latest thought is that the `elan valley trust` own it 8-)

they seem to be causing a stir now with police on the scene and threats of prosecution, and gatherings of landrovers with cameras .. possibly
Last edited by garyboy on Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
GFJ1

Post by GFJ1 »

I looked into it a couple of years ago after it had been incorrectly described in the initial ABR publication.

Yes, the Elan Valley Trust either own or manage it, and no, they wouldn't give permission for a group of us to ride it.

We've just come back from a couple of days around there. We chose not to ride it. The bizarre consequence of not allowing riders along it, is that we had to ride both up and down the Elan valley to ride the trails near the dam, whereas had we been allowed to ride it we would have done it in one pass.

You pays your money and take your chance I guess.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

The local police were requested to spend a day 'enforcing' that 100 metre non-Byway portion.

They were not best pleased, having more important things to do but it shows the clout that the Elan Valley Trust has. As mentioned, the farmer doesn't give two hoots as long as people slow down, leave the gates as they find them etc.

I'll still always go for it, after all the Plod will only ask you to turn around and retrace your steps-it's a lovely ride both ways :)
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

I intend to ride it all the way through next week, if I get stopped by the plod I'll be polite and turn around but in 35 years of riding it I've never had a problem before.
one-legged adventurer
richeyroo

Post by richeyroo »

Assuming we're not talking about the rarely seen phenomena of the overweight middle aged adventurebikerider on 300kg of BMW GS with massive Touratech panniers I wonder what the legal position is on pushing a switched off trail bike along the 100 yard stretch of troublesome land?
richeyroo

Post by richeyroo »

For example....

Does a person on foot pushing a motorcycle (not mechanically propelled at the time) constitute vehicular traffic or pedestrian traffic? A little legal research may be required to find the correct answer. Pushchairs and wheelchairs are vehicles but would we class them as "vehicular traffic"? It may be that the same principle can be applied to a motorcycle being pushed.

As for signs that convey "No Motor Vehicles" it would seem (unless regulations specify to the contrary) that a pedestrian pushing an inert motorcycle would not be guilty of any offence due to

S.140 RTRA 1984 and s.189 RTA 1988
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

richeyroo wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:39 pm For example....

Does a person on foot pushing a motorcycle (not mechanically propelled at the time) constitute vehicular traffic or pedestrian traffic? A little legal research may be required to find the correct answer. Pushchairs and wheelchairs are vehicles but would we class them as "vehicular traffic"? It may be that the same principle can be applied to a motorcycle being pushed.

As for signs that convey "No Motor Vehicles" it would seem (unless regulations specify to the contrary) that a pedestrian pushing an inert motorcycle would not be guilty of any offence due to

S.140 RTRA 1984 and s.189 RTA 1988
I think that you're missing the point that it has to be "implement for cutting grass"

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”