Trails around Lambourn Wilts

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
petecam

Trails around Lambourn Wilts

Post by petecam »

Evening all

Heading down to Somerset this week on the GS. As well as maybe doing some trails on the plains I noticed a nice collection of byways a bit further north around Lambourn and towards Marlborough.

Does anyone know this area and are any of these lanes not big bike friendly? I’m always careful on my own and don’t want to get stuck somewhere! Was thinking of spending a few hours exploring.

Many thanks
Pete
Snaf MKII

Re: Trails around Lambourn Wilts

Post by Snaf MKII »

Hi Pete
The last time we went there was on the XR200's with trials tyres. It was only damp but the clay was very slippery, we had a laugh but picking up XR200's is a lot easier than a GS.

There might be some suitable ones but obviously it's easier to remember the tricky ones, I wonder if the TET takes the easier lanes in the area or take a look at this Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/c/WiltshireBywa ... arlborough

Do you visit the area often and still have a trail bike, we visit the area with work and family and are planning to take the trail bikes given the opportunity.
petecam

Post by petecam »

Thanks !

Hope you are well?

My sis lives near Frome so I often visit on the GS coming down from Cambridge...

The great thing about a bigger bike is I can cover vast distance on the motorway and then pick off a few interesting lanes where i fancy it. I dont currently have a trail bike but looking to get something for the end of the year!

I have experienced the wet chalk before (there are some lanes in the east with this) so I know how slippy it can be but it seems pretty dry at the moment.

Pete
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Oh yes I was forgetting where you come from, the only group to ever keep up with me and actually enjoy the lane of pain in Devon.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

You'd be fine on most of the trails around there as long as you don't mind ruts, don't bother if it's wet as the chalky bits can be lethal on a big bike.

Salisbury Plain perimeter track and some of the permissive byways might be better on a big GS, even if the red flags are flying you can still ride a fair bit of the perimeter track (which is gravel).
one-legged adventurer
petecam

Post by petecam »

Snaf MKII wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:38 am Oh yes I was forgetting where you come from, the only group to ever keep up with me and actually enjoy the lane of pain in Devon.
Ha but dont forget I grew up in Bovey and Steve (Lily) from Cambs grew up in Chudleigh... so the Dartmoor lanes are home really ;-)
petecam

Post by petecam »

boboneleg wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:49 am
Salisbury Plain perimeter track and some of the permissive byways might be better on a big GS, even if the red flags are flying you can still ride a fair bit of the perimeter track (which is gravel).
Thank you. Herman from this Parish gave me some routes around the plains and I have done a few of them now. Was all ok on the GS. There are a few closed byways at the moment around Stonehenge though.

I do have a quesion though.... there are 00's of tracks on the plains but I assume you have to stick to the ones marked Byway or permissive byway? THis is what I have done so far but seen bikes head off down tracks that were un marked????
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

petecam wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:04 am

Thank you. Herman from this Parish gave me some routes around the plains and I have done a few of them now. Was all ok on the GS. There are a few closed byways at the moment around Stonehenge though.

I do have a quesion though.... there are 00's of tracks on the plains but I assume you have to stick to the ones marked Byway or permissive byway? THis is what I have done so far but seen bikes head off down tracks that were un marked????
Don't get me started, I have seen twats on the wrong side of the fence in impact areas, you wouldn't believe it. As someone who used to deliver ordnance to the Military on the Plain just do what you're doing and stick to the byways and permissive routes. It's not a joke, there is definitely stuff lying about out there.
one-legged adventurer
petecam

Post by petecam »

boboneleg wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:09 am

Don't get me started, I have seen twats on the wrong side of the fence in impact areas, you wouldn't believe it. As someone who used to deliver ordnance to the Military on the Plain just do what you're doing and stick to the byways and permissive routes. It's not a joke, there is definitely stuff lying about out there.
This is what I assumed! THe GS is big but no match for Challenger tanks and munitions ;- )

To be fair I remember a 5 way junction all with similar looking gravel tracks and one byway sign not clearly pointing to one paticular route so I could see why people would go the wrong way..... had to carefully check with GPS...
petecam

Post by petecam »

Took in one trail at Lambourn on the way down.
C1BEB214-4DB3-46E3-9B4B-986242644DA9.jpeg
C1BEB214-4DB3-46E3-9B4B-986242644DA9.jpeg (218.16 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
Then headed across the plains. Going is dry at the moment apart from a few large puddles.
BC412BA8-7D09-4DC0-8411-78F4495DECDB.jpeg
BC412BA8-7D09-4DC0-8411-78F4495DECDB.jpeg (243.93 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
Will do some more tomorrow.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”