TRF national mapping project

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: TRF national mapping project

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

It's not made in any official capacity...I no longer speak for the TRF and am no longer a member, although I continue to wish them well in their efforts to keep the lanes open to all.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

As I understand it, TW2 now takes no interest in motorcycle use because the TRF withdrew from it so presumably would miss loads of lanes with TROs with motorcycle exemptions... a large number of lanes in East Sussex in winter, for example.

While OS maps followed by Highways definitive map is the right way, again, in East Sussex, there are some lanes on the map that don’t exist, one being ploughed up donkeys years ago. Our county council have an excellent interactive TRO page and our TRF group have an really good relationship with them.

I think I’m still a ‘bad person’ so don’t get involved nationally or I’ll get banned again.
I certainly don’t remember being asked about buying land!
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

richeyroo wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:45 am That's an excellent magazine. I guess joing the TRF is the obvious way to see it, but how come non members can see it there on issuu ?
Apparently not as it's only being tested at the moment by a few people, I've not yet found one though.
Yes the magazine is very good and free to all as you've found.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

DavidS wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:46 pm As I understand it, TW2 now takes no interest in motorcycle use because the TRF withdrew from it so presumably would miss loads of lanes with TROs with motorcycle exemptions... a large number of lanes in East Sussex in winter, for example.

While OS maps followed by Highways definitive map is the right way, again, in East Sussex, there are some lanes on the map that don’t exist, one being ploughed up donkeys years ago. Our county council have an excellent interactive TRO page and our TRF group have an really good relationship with them.

I think I’m still a ‘bad person’ so don’t get involved nationally or I’ll get banned again.
I certainly don’t remember being asked about buying land!
TW2 is of interest to MC users, I use it, it has TRO'd lanes listed so presumably MC exempt ones but I've not seen any on my travels.
Still bad at your age! good on you :-)
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

In my local Peak District TW2 generally shows lanes only open to bikes as having a TRO, which is true, then followed by a statement in the Details section that it is open to motorcycles.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I don't think they will be updating bike stuff though.
Too risky.

I like rocking certain boats. ;) :lol:
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

David, with respect TW2 is populated by its Members without bias to 4X4 or motorcycles. Comments are posted about each route by GLASS Members and then those comments are checked for accuracy by a small volunteer team for each area.

It is a total misconception, fuelled by erroneous comments from people who should know better, to claim that GLASS is solely 4X4, it is not and was never conceived to be so. It was formed back in 1995 as a National User Group to campaign on behalf of all motorised users, this of course was much later to the formation of the TRF, which has always principally been aimed at motorcycle trail riders for which they have built a secular niche.

I am a Member but not an official of GLASS and I encourage other riders and drivers to join too, especially in the Peak District. I assist alongside of GLASS officials on many projects and they always pursue access for all motorised users as appropriate. Locally the Groups for 2 and 4 wheels work well together, just as they always have. Like Richard I too wish good fortune to the TRF as a National Organisation and still, depending upon locality, recommend riders to contact their local TRF Groups, GLASS or the Trail Riders Association.

TTFN

Hugh.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:54 am Membership is pushing for 'Pay per View' for non TRF members

Otherwise why would we cough up £55 to be a TRF member??

Some groups are reluctant to share their areas, for non members to view

To see TW2, you have to join GLASS and I think TRF should do the same
IMHO The members 'pushing for something' will be ignored by the directors, who know what's best.

Back in the days of 'assumed rights' one of the great advantages of TRF membership was that you could find out which lanes you could ride.
There's no such thing any more, and you can find all legal routes with an OS map and via the local authorities' Highways and Rights of Way departments.

My understanding of what the current directors of The TRF Ltd is trying to do is to create a critical mass of trail-riding motorcyclists which will force national government to ensure an adequate network of routes is kept open for trail riding. Hence free access to the routes database and Trail magazine. As a backstop they appear to be taking an approach where if strategy one fails, they can operate TRF Ltd as a commercial entity on a 'pay to ride' basis by permission or on purchased land.

I'm not a TRF member any more, but can see these 2 outcomes as explaining a lot about the directors' current behaviour. TRF Ltd has already purchased some land in the Peak District National Park to enable members to ride on a track subject to a TRO 'except for landowners'.
Have they bought some land, where ?
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

If you ask a TRF Group official, they may be able to tell you.

As said, I'm not a member andI don't know the full detail.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Hugh wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:03 am Greetings,

David, with respect TW2 is populated by its Members without bias to 4X4 or motorcycles. Comments are posted about each route by GLASS Members and then those comments are checked for accuracy by a small volunteer team for each area.

It is a total misconception, fuelled by erroneous comments from people who should know better, to claim that GLASS is solely 4X4, it is not and was never conceived to be so. It was formed back in 1995 as a National User Group to campaign on behalf of all motorised users, this of course was much later to the formation of the TRF, which has always principally been aimed at motorcycle trail riders for which they have built a secular niche.

I am a Member but not an official of GLASS and I encourage other riders and drivers to join too, especially in the Peak District. I assist alongside of GLASS officials on many projects and they always pursue access for all motorised users as appropriate. Locally the Groups for 2 and 4 wheels work well together, just as they always have. Like Richard I too wish good fortune to the TRF as a National Organisation and still, depending upon locality, recommend riders to contact their local TRF Groups, GLASS or the Trail Riders Association.

TTFN

Hugh.
Interesting Hugh and thanks.
The word put about by a certain bunch of people is that TW2 has no relevance to trail riding now and shouldn’t be trusted as up to date.
As you know, I am not impressed by them in any shape or form.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”