OS Mapping question

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
PaulinBont

Re: OS Mapping question

Post by PaulinBont »

True Steve; OPRA's can also be roads that are very rarely used and that the local authority can't afford to maintain (or choose not to do so based on value for money- very relevant for today's cash-strapped councils) hence they are reclassified
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

A very longtime since I drove (4x4) or rode on "green lanes", so haven't taken a lot of notice of the many confusing map symbols now used. However, I can think of at least one road near home where the local authority couldn't be bothered to maintain it. They left it to deteriorate for a number of winters, until the surface was almost impassable, and then put up permanent "road closed" signs and dumped a few concrete blocks. Job done, no more maintenance, and yet another road lost!
They seem now to be using the same "no maintenance" technique on many local residential roads...... :evil:
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

hotbulb wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:47 am A very longtime since I drove (4x4) or rode on "green lanes", so haven't taken a lot of notice of the many confusing map symbols now used. However, I can think of at least one road near home where the local authority couldn't be bothered to maintain it. They left it to deteriorate for a number of winters, until the surface was almost impassable, and then put up permanent "road closed" signs and dumped a few concrete blocks. Job done, no more maintenance, and yet another road lost!
They seem now to be using the same "no maintenance" technique on many local residential roads...... :evil:
Have they closed it legally??
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

steve the grease wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:47 pm My understanding was that the green dots ( not Diamonds) are UCR's or Unclassified County Roads. Also sometimes called ORPA's "Other Routes with Public Access". Certainly round where I live they seem to be what are or were public roads which have been allowed to ' go back to nature' basically either because they don't go anywhere, or were never properly surfaced and no one uses them, so an old route which has fallen into disrepair. Unless signposted otherwise they are legal to ride.

Agree on your summing up of the ORPA's as shown on OS maps.

The only bugbear, is that sometimes the route follows the same line as RoW FP. The legal status of a FP does not actually effect or remove the "higher right" of being able to use a vehicle on the route, but it can lead to confusion and unpleasantness from those who don't like vehicles in the countryside! But hey, that happens everywhere!! ;)
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

In West Sussex where I used to live for 30 years, the council definitive map is online, and it was easy to see the classification of a number of 'big-dotted tracks' as being 'un-maintained rights of way'. Most of them had a 'Public Right of Way' finger-sign with no colour.
Its most unfortunate that there are so many different types of RoW signs in different counties.
It is also important to recognise that the definitive maps and the OS maps do not always agree ! There were several footpaths and bridleways which were wrongly marked on the OS maps.
HTH
2021 890 Adventure R
1982 R80 G/S with Siebenrock
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
1957 Velocette 500 Scrambler
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

phil_h wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:54 pm In West Sussex where I used to live for 30 years, the council definitive map is online, and it was easy to see the classification of a number of 'big-dotted tracks' as being 'un-maintained rights of way'. Most of them had a 'Public Right of Way' finger-sign with no colour.
Its most unfortunate that there are so many different types of RoW signs in different counties.
It is also important to recognise that the definitive maps and the OS maps do not always agree ! There were several footpaths and bridleways which were wrongly marked on the OS maps.
HTH
That would tend to confirm what I have observed. I was certainly riding a green lane near Farmers in rural Wales, underneath all the moss, grass and shite was a layer of tarmac.........
tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

By the way, Harvey, I know exactly where you've taken your map screen shot from. :)
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Recently received an email from Dash4it to let me know that their OS maps are 40% off.

https://dash4it.co.uk/ordnance-survey-m ... 5B_40offOS

TTFN

Hugh.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Hugh wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:06 pm Greetings,

Recently received an email from Dash4it to let me know that their OS maps are 40% off.

I wonder how many users such as trail riders on bikes and MTB's are not now using OS paper maps, and rely on a GPS unit and mapping, on that alone?

Got to admit, I still like looking at a paper map and will study it for ages when route mapping ;)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

SteveR wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:09 pm
Hugh wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:06 pm Greetings,

I wonder how many users such as trail riders on bikes and MTB's are not now using OS paper maps, and rely on a GPS unit and mapping, on that alone?

Got to admit, I still like looking at a paper map and will study it for ages when route mapping ;)
hah .. my idea of an `upgrade` would be to buy a laminated map as opposed to a paper one :lol:

I really like the idea of a gps thingy, but they are so expensive and dont seem to last very well with time, and can be fragile in a tumble on the trails.

I went to the great expense of buying my daughter one but the battery will not now re-charge?

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”