GS1200ADV Friendly trails across the plains

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
petecam

GS1200ADV Friendly trails across the plains

Post by petecam »

I will be heading from Cambridge down to Frome next Friday. I have the day off so was going to take in some gentle trails across and around Salisbury plains.

Can anyone recommend some suitable trails? Happy to take GPX or just approx locations on a map. I will obviously be heading east to west approx but can adjust as necessary.

Thanks.

PS: I do know I need to check if the army are playing!
herman

Re: GS1200ADV Friendly trails across the plains

Post by herman »

pm me an email and I can send over a big bike friendly loop which you can dip into if you so desire. However, the northern perimeter track is a good place to start as its almost always open, runs from the back of Bulford north then curves in a big loop around the impact zone. If its dry and you are brave there is a tracked vehicle trail parallel to it for about two thirds its length.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
petecam

Post by petecam »

PM sent.

Many thanks !
Jaystevens1971

Post by Jaystevens1971 »

Hi Petecam

Me and my mate done 2 days on Salisbury plains in October last year (Rare very warm weekend). He was on a GS1200A and I was on a G310gs and we had a great time, as Herman said run the perimeter and just choose any off tracks with your bike in mind, It was very dry when were up there which helped and we hit quite a few of the trails off the perimeter and did not have any problems at all.

No doubt we will be up there again in October and just pick a good weekend.

I was also checking the MOD info on restrictions every weekend, our weekend did have quite a lot of activity but we just avoided the red flag tracks which did not infringe on our riding hardly at all.

Jason
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vi ... y&start=20

Page 3
gpx file (Mr Z Frame)
Lots of big bikes came that day including a GS1200. Maybe a more than you want. But overlay it with Herman's then you won't be lost for options. There are a few gpx dotted about on the forum you're welcome to download.
Avoid the big puddles on the perimeter road, I came across a guy who managed to drown his DRZ, had to give him a tow to a safe place so his mate could wait with the bikes while he trekked back to Tewkesbury to pick up his van.
petecam

Post by petecam »

Thanks all

I will do by best to not get shot at, drown my bike and genrally stay "rubber side down" !
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

this is useful

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... een-laning

and so's this

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ring-times

The perils of wet chalk are well-documented...but I had a silly accident on dry chalk.

The army finishes the chalk roads across the plain with concrete where they approach tarmac roads.

The chalk dust on them turns them into giant shove-ha'penny boards. I fell off on one, broke my elbow and had to ride my Husky 610 back to Gloucester.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

As its not been already mentioned the army have bern very active recently across the whole plain area with heavy vehicles its curned upto hell off the main gravel roads even these are compacted bomb holes at best...

The military do regrade regularly with marbel size rocks dont venture near riad edges they are off camber and such you in ...

Have fun...
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

There is work going on in Shrewton area track 8; 9; 10 have closure and diversions in place.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

zimtim wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:28 am https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vi ... y&start=20

Page 3
gpx file (Mr Z Frame)
Lots of big bikes came that day including a GS1200. Maybe a more than you want. But overlay it with Herman's then you won't be lost for options. There are a few gpx dotted about on the forum you're welcome to download.
Avoid the big puddles on the perimeter road, I came across a guy who managed to drown his DRZ, had to give him a tow to a safe place so his mate could wait with the bikes while he trekked back to Tewkesbury to pick up his van.
I checked this route last night it is very rutted in parts and I advise you to avoid on your GS.
More experienced riders only

Sorry there are plenty of alternative routes on this forum you just need to search for them

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”