Over Haddon Lathkill Dale, Peak District.

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
Hugh

Over Haddon Lathkill Dale, Peak District.

Post by Hugh »

Greetings folks,

I'm back with yet another Peak District potential lane closure, unless we collectively act.

The council’s, DCC, statement of case for Over Haddon to be classified as Bridleway has just been received and we need to act fairly swiftly and we must also increase the numbers of folk objecting.

Anyone who remembers riding, driving, cycling or walking this lane over the last 30+ years (pre-2005) is requested to send in their recollections to Chris Mitchell at;

[email protected].

For those who might not know, Chris is Treasurer for PDVUG and the Derbyshire Director for GLASS.

The river crossing changes from fast flowing quite deep to non existent depending upon rainfall as the water permeates its way through the limestone fissures in the bedrock.

TTFN

Hugh.
The attachment Lathkill2.jpg is no longer available
The attachment Lathkill1.jpg is no longer available
Lathkill2.jpg
Lathkill2.jpg (117.59 KiB) Viewed 6547 times
Hugh

Re: Over Haddon Lathkill Dale, Peak District.

Post by Hugh »

Lathkill3.jpg
Lathkill3.jpg (141.47 KiB) Viewed 6546 times
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Lathkill1.jpg
Lathkill1.jpg (66.84 KiB) Viewed 6545 times
Apologies for three posts but the attachments keep disappearing and I do not know why :?: :idea:

TTFN

Hugh.
SHarper

Post by SHarper »

Looks a bit different to how it was six weeks ago...
20E31C3D-2217-4E69-9E59-46C79DC4E881.jpeg
20E31C3D-2217-4E69-9E59-46C79DC4E881.jpeg (218.3 KiB) Viewed 6515 times
750F48D4-B20B-4761-B26C-FD8D151F968D.jpeg
750F48D4-B20B-4761-B26C-FD8D151F968D.jpeg (244.57 KiB) Viewed 6515 times
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

How about those of it who've only used it more recently? What is our best approach?
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
SHarper

Post by SHarper »

Can someone enlighten me as to why gathering evidence of use is necessary? Surely they know it’s been used or it wouldn’t be an issue.
I’m not trying to be funny and I’ve supplied evidence in the past when requested like for Black Harry Lane and others, but I really dont know the answer...
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Good morning,

I am not a legal expert so my comments are for your guidance only in answering your questions.

There is literally tons of paperwork and various opinions out there about this complex subject. Some of the best plain english that I have read has been produced by the 'Ramblers'. Naturally they try to protect those who choose walking as their leisure activity but they do not seem so outwardly aggressively biased unlike some other user groups. I would also point out that the average countryside user and farmer is not against us.

We, the recreational motorists as termed by the PDNPA, need to prove that there is a legal right by expressed dedication or presumed dedication and it is the latter which requires users to record their evidence of use. As usual the cards are stacked against us partially because of the explicit time frame in the wording as many folk who rode the lanes back as far as 20 years ago have given up the hobby either as life style changes or simply because of the grim reaper :( . I am one who has not succumbed to either yet and I have been riding these lanes in the Peak District since we moved here after getting married in 1972 :? If you have used any of these routes then please record so, even if it was not in the specific time frame. Try to encourage your non motoring friends to object to proposed closures too :idea:

The anti motorist groups are very good at getting their supporters to write in whereas we sadly seem to fail in this aspect. Put quite simply we need motorcyclists to respectfully respond in far greater numbers. The 'antis' probably outweigh our user evidence by 4:1 and so by the democratic numeric process they get their selfish way! We need to record our OBJECTIONS simply as people and not by being classified as one group or another. However by responding as motorised users we are simply proving that vehicles have used the route in sufficient numbers for an Inspector to find in our favour. To be quite blunt we have lost our routes largely because our fellow users have failed the paperwork exercise :!: More evidence will both prove our "presumptive use" and show that we are prepared to stand up and be counted.

The number of requests for OBJECTIONS and user evidence will increase as the Highway Authorities work their way through the number of DMMO applications on file and whilst the anti motorist groups seek to remove our leisure activities. They will not stop at 'green lanes' but all forms of motor sport too.

Final comment, to those who haven't as yet may I suggest that you join either the TRF or GLASS and help their financial fighting funds to support future potential legal action.

For further reading may I suggest that folk take a look at;

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/advice/impro ... f-way.aspx
http://www.ramblers.org.uk/advice/right ... twork.aspx
http://www.ramblers.org.uk/advice/right ... rders.aspx
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/object-to-a ... -way-order

TTFN

Hugh.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings folks,

* Edited 160820 because re-reading my original text was incorrect*. I have added the published details of the DCC Order and I am still awaiting a copy of the PINS decision regarding the route across the river Lathkill at Over Haddon. The details of the process and document will be fully scrutinised by GLASS, PDVUG & the TRF. Not very good news I'm sorry to say but hardly unexpected.

There will be a period of time for objections to be recorded and considered, following which 'flying' motorcycle over car signs will no doubt be erected. After the signs have been erected we will no longer have a recreational right to use the route.

If you don't want the same fate for the other lanes that we use then please get your User Evidence Forms in when requested, no ifs - no buts! Currently we have two routes under the shadow of a similar fate; New Lane and Broadway & Bulltor Lanes, Taddington. If you have ridden these then we still need your forms NOW.

TTFN

Hugh.
Over Haddon row_3188656_on.pdf
(977.72 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Rode this lane yesterday for the first time - very nice, sad to lose it.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Update regarding Over Haddon, Lathkill Dale, Conksbury.

Although I have not seen the final paperwork the classification of this lovely little route has now been confirmed to be normal highway from the village down to river and thereafter Bridleway. Photos courtesy of Chris Moran.

Signage has been erected so bye bye old friend.

TTFN

Hugh.
Attachments
PHOTO-2023-03-26-14-16-12.jpg
PHOTO-2023-03-26-14-16-12.jpg (282.93 KiB) Viewed 2024 times
PHOTO-2023-03-26-14-15-49.jpg
PHOTO-2023-03-26-14-15-49.jpg (229.4 KiB) Viewed 2024 times

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”