Off-Road downhill braking

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
johnnyboxer

Re: Off-Road downhill braking

Post by johnnyboxer »

PHILinFRANCE wrote:Maybe i'm just a mad !!!!gun it and lock the back end up and steer by sliding !!!
That what I said, speed is your friend going downhill

PS I've seen Elle going downhill, on rocks

Fear is not pleasant to watch
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

I'm pretty sure this video deals with use of the front brake downhill, but I don't have 20 minutes to watch it through. If not then it's the other episode where they were at the BMW off road skills school. They are both good videos to watch through anyway Anyway, if you find the right bit let me know. It basically says front brake is the key to controlled descent.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

It's not the easiest thing and doesn't always come natural , just do............................ WHAT EVER WORKS FOR YOU !!!
as said try on smaller stuff and trust the bike.

The front scares the sh1te out of me and going slow will have me off every time

ABOVE ALL ENJOY AT YOUR OWN PACE (thumbs)
Ixion123

Post by Ixion123 »

So on the basis that I'm a terrible rider off road, but have had some training from both i2i and adventure rider centre, both of them talked to GENTLE and progressive front braking. And it works.
Key is to enter the slope under control (i.e. slowly), then as you go down applying the front brake compresses the forks and tyre, giving you more grip.
But I fall off more than anyone else in my local TRF, so who am I to give advice...

Cheers, Matt
special one

Post by special one »

I use my front brake all the time on descents, as there is a lot of weight forward, you can apply quite a bit, I have locked the front a few times but I've felt it straight away and just released and re apply with no issues.

I remember going down a steep muddy hill with Aliwakeskate off here and I was using first gear engine braking and front and rear brakes and still gaining speed :ohmy: , didn't enjoy that one bit tbh.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
eforde

Post by eforde »

For an absolute off-road virgin, and recently qualified on-raoder, how do people recommend starting off-roading - a course or a little cheap bike to muck about with? My 800gs is probably a little frightening to start with, yikes!

Have mountain biked for years but having difficulty seeing the similarities due to the weight ratio.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

I'd go here
http://www.wheeldontwo.co.uk/

Excellent instructors who can TEACH rather than just say 'watch while I show off'

And your initial training is indoors, so you can concentrate on what you are doing rather than feeling cold and wet.
A big variety of bikes..they will start you on a little one.

It's not cheap, but probably costs less than the crash damage you would inflict on your bike learning to handle it off tarmac.

If you do go trail riding on yours, put the best off-road pattern tyres on you can before you start and wait for the lanes to dry out.
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

On a lighter note.
If it's mega steep and really nasty. Chuck the bike down and follow on foot. (thumbs)

Did an enduro in Devon years ago in the middle of winter with snow through the night. Riders just dumped the bikes at the top and slid down on the ice. Even the bloody foot pegs would not dig in.
What a shitter that ride was. And I ended up in the river. Got going again but DNF'd after losing both brakes. At least the really steep down hills were not a problem with no brakes to worry about. No engine braking either, two stroke. Laugh, I shit myself.
And I was better off than many others.
chrisinflight

Post by chrisinflight »

Umm, seems the general consensus from experts is to use the front brake and I agree with the concept. However, I`d be careful with boulder-strewn descents. Sometimes the brake inertia will cause the front wheel to lock to one side of a boulder throwing you off instead of the front wheel riding over the rock. I prefer the full-hand grip (no fingers on levers), rear brake covered and 1 st gear method. I do dab the front though if there is a patch of no rocks. (thumbs)
cheers,
chris
2016 Beta 300rr- In the 2 stroke come-back club!

Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

when in doubt ...go faster (thumbs)

I guess it's just something that you learn over time and practice.

To be honest I could not say how I do it. It would be a combination of correct gear, gas on gas off , back brake , front brake , both brakes and using the lip of a rut on a corner to scrub some speed off, and at time's doing all this in a few seconds .

Dazzer

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”