Uprate your F800GS fork springs

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Nigel

Re: Uprate your F800GS fork springs

Post by Nigel »

May I suggest a barbie and a few beers :P
rchrds

Post by rchrds »

Just used your guide to put hyperpro springs on my F800GS- thanks! I wouldn't have made it with the supplied instruction booklet- nothing looked the same. Also waiting for the rear sping guide! :)
Dinks

Post by Dinks »

Just installed the Hyperpro Progressive in my front forks. Surprisingly easy especially if you use these instructions. The only difference was the lower metal ring in the chamber would not come out. In addition you must pump the internal fork rod quite a few times once you pour in the new oil (pre spacer and spring) in order to get rid of all the air in the lower chamber. Also note the fork top cap (19mm) is quite soft so be careful not to flatten it off. I found it best to undo the top triple clamp bolt as my forks were at their tallest (most clearance height) and pinched over the internal thread; only then would it unscrew.
GB

Uprate your F800GS fork springs

Post by GB »

Glad I could be of help.

Sent via tapatalk instead of doing something useful.
Finally back on a GS :D
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

GB wrote:Glad I could be of help.

Sent via tapatalk instead of doing something useful.
Fantastic GB, I had not seen this before
Mr Toad

Post by Mr Toad »

A bit of a bump if people haven't seen this before.

Just swapped the original springs for the progressive Hagon ones. Also lowered Janes bike by 50mm.

But the import thing is that it was GB's post that tipped the balance so that I took the job on.

The pictures are spot on and with the Hagon instructions worked a treat.

The only learning that worked for me, it's definately easier with an extra pair of hands putting the fork cap back on. One to pull down and compress the spring whilst the second person screws the cap on. Quicker and less swearing

I found it easier to put on the long black slider before putting on the new spring, it meant I could put in a flat headed screw driver under this to push up the rod.

Also I put the 13mm spanner on the nut prior to screwing on the end cap and this worked well.

I bought the springs from Motorworks, they sell the Hagon compression tool for £70 but if you return it to them afterwards in good order, they credit you £60 which seemed a reasonable deal rather than risking bloodied hands, a scratrched spring or worse, with ratchet straps (which I didn't have anyway)

But a big thankyou to GB for taking the time and trouble to take the pictures, post them etc. :)

The Karma points have gone but a bucket full from me to GB

Cheers
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
Mr Toad

Post by Mr Toad »

GBs original post for the rear spring seems to have gone missing despite both he and I searching for it. But this link found be GB helped swap the rear spiring. Even easier. :)

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229263
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

GB wrote:I did the rear as well, kept a photo record but never posted it.
I wrote And you will be posting it when? :P

It depends how I jolly well feel GB

Return to “HOW TO..........”