Basic self survival first aid training.

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Road2Manchester

Post by Road2Manchester »

visit www.twitter.com/funds4rescue and follow them. THEN consider this.

Mountain Rescue England & Wales cover emergencies on hills, tracks, mountains and a growing number of towna and cities.
From some OAP or suicide victim that has gone missing, to a ABR or fun day off roader stuck up the side of a quarry or track.
The Ambulance, Police and Fire Service have direct links to dedicated and well trained experts at getting you A) Found B) Safe and C) off that hillside. In between that you will receive first aid and warmth if required.

This service is FREE, the members are FREE the service gets little government help or funding, and once the search and rescue helecopter service gets privatised, who know what will happen to the free 'fly out' service.

IF YOU ARE HAVING A MEETING, CAMP, EVENT OR SHOW why not invite the local MRS team to coem along, collect a few bob fron donations and maybe demostrate some basic self survival first aid techniques to help yourselves or your companions when out and about.

We all hark on about use it or lose it when it comes to byways and tracks we can or can't use.
Lets consider the what if's, and support the services that are still FREE and on call 24-7-365 no matter what the weather or how bonkers you have been.

http://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/

http://www.twitter.com/funds4rescue
cam to gif

If you ride like the wind, expect to get blown away. One lifetime is all we get use it wisely this ain;t no practise.
Mad Cow

Re: Basic self survival first aid training.

Post by Mad Cow »

Road2Manchester wrote:This service is FREE, the members are FREE the service gets little government help or funding, and once the search and rescue helecopter service gets privatised, who know what will happen to the free 'fly out' service.
Actually the MRTs get NO funding from Government in England and Wales.

Although there is no reason why the Helicopter Search and Rescue Services will change when privatised, the Coastguard helicopter service has been privatised for some years and still remains free (but i'm still keeping my fingers crossed) :whistle:

And please remember Mountain Rescue only operate in upland areas but fear not, there is an equivalent in lowland Areas

ALSAR the Association of Lowland Search and Rescue has teams across the UK
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

As a hillwalker and general outdoor enthusiast this is one of the few people I always give to when I see them collecting. I cannot give enough praise to the volunteers
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

I forgot to mention, don't forget the Air Ambulances, in England and Wales they receive no government funding all being charities.

Whilst Paramedic staff are seconded from Ambulance Trusts, the Doctors are volunteers and the pilots, support staff and aircraft are funded by the charities.

http://www.airambulanceassociation.co.uk/

The situation is different in Scotland where the helicopters ARE operated directly by NHS Scotland.
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
Road2Manchester

Our local teams Rossendale, Oldham, Bolton all search th elowlands areas , city, towns and anywhere they are asked to go. The 'collected' a man last week off a railway bridge. Not because the services were not available, simply thet are equiped to do so.

Privatisation was not supposed to effect rail travel, coal mines, parking enforcement, speed cameras......... and on and on.

Quite right MRS get nowt from the government ..... just call-outs.

NB: Andy Simpson MRS Press officer and Team leader in Rossendale on BBC Radio Manchester at 10pm 'ish
cam to gif

If you ride like the wind, expect to get blown away. One lifetime is all we get use it wisely this ain;t no practise.
Dr.Jekyll

Post by Dr.Jekyll »

Actually the MRTs get NO funding from Government in England and Wales.
Ummmm... well that's not quite true. Team's in England and Wales have been able to claim VAT back on fuel etc for a while now up to a total of £200000 (from central funds to cover all units, so each unit gets roughly £2667 directly from the government).

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2011/0 ... ment-grant.

But what you are saying is right, the vast majority of funding comes from private people and we all need to help out if we are going to keep the service.
F800GS 2010 black/orange
Ubique 895

Post by Ubique 895 »

Having been airlifted to hospital following a climbing accident 2 years ago whilst in Snowdonia I most definitely support all MRT teams (especially Ogwen MRT!)
"Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt"
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

Get it wrong :S in the Lakes or Dales, then you may need these guys ....

http://www.cro.org.uk/

Heard recently that one of their major fund raising events will be no more, so any help in finding the £20k a year they now have to raise by other means would be appreciated.
Road2Manchester

Not going to help much.

When MRS get called into a suburban area by the fire and ambulance service to get a gardener out of a ditch..... should that be paid for by the government. When a 80 yrs old woman in a OAP's sheltered home goes walkabout and 12 team members spend 78 man hours looking for her...... whan a bloke hangs himself off a bridge parapet who did they call.
Despite the MRS free service to the public...... the piggin AA call themselves the 4th emergency service. LOL :P :P :P :P
There is a definate 'lean' towards cheap labour and manpower issues in many call-outs. If someone decides to take to the hills/mountains and gets in a pickle....... they expected to get called out. BUT should this be free ????

Low Land, Highland, flying, floating or biking...... just think what £1 a year could do from all those out there on a weekend ???

:)
cam to gif

Return to “HOW TO..........”