How much better can you be?

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Misti

Re: How much better can you be?

Post by Misti »

daveuprite wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:04 pm Superb hi-jacking of this thread by the way. :lol:
It's only hi-jacking a thread if the OP gets annoyed and finds the information posted not interesting. But that is not the case, I liked the pictures!

And, there were some good points mixed in for content.

There were some great comments about how people choose something to work on each ride or little goals to accomplish. Depending on the type of riding I'm doing I'll set little goals along the way or choose something specific to work on in each instance. Sometimes it's throttle control or pushing myself to look further ahead visually, a lot of times it's forcing myself to look into the turn sooner and recently while trail riding it was NOT target fixating on the big rocks and roots that made me nervous and trying to see a little past them.

Are there mistakes that you notice other riders making that seem to come up more than others? What is one riding mistake that you think most riders make, or struggle with?
soho

Post by soho »

I wish bikes (and scooters) wouldn't follow me ,or other riders for that matter when riding through city traffic or on fast roads. I make judgments before I move based on my ability stay safe throughout the manoeuvre. My judgement is made based on my position in the traffic, if you're following me at 20/30ftbehind, my judgement won't suit your position.
When I see people in my mirrors I can often see they are more interested in following that staying safe, and they haven't weighed up their own situation. If I overtake a vehicle and then pull back into the lane before central bollards come up, someone following will not always have the room to pull back in. Same can be applied to riding off road too. If you have to start worrying about the safety of a rider behind, then you'll be anticipating their safety rather than enjoying you own journey. Am I right ?

I'm a courier, not a racer but I also need to make reasonable progress. My advice (for what it's worth) Read your own road, don't let someone else read it for you !........Sorry, I've just had a mental day, just letting off steam. :) 8-)
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

soho wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:09 pm I wish bikes (and scooters) wouldn't follow me ,or other riders for that matter when riding through city traffic or on fast roads. I make judgments before I move based on my ability stay safe throughout the manoeuvre. My judgement is made based on my position in the traffic, if you're following me at 20/30ftbehind, my judgement won't suit your position.
When I see people in my mirrors I can often see they are more interested in following that staying safe, and they haven't weighed up their own situation. If I overtake a vehicle and then pull back into the lane before central bollards come up, someone following will not always have the room to pull back in. Same can be applied to riding off road too. If you have to start worrying about the safety of a rider behind, then you'll be anticipating their safety rather than enjoying you own journey. Am I right ?

I'm a courier, not a racer but I also need to make reasonable progress. My advice (for what it's worth) Read your own road, don't let someone else read it for you !........Sorry, I've just had a mental day, just letting off steam. :) 8-)
That's spot on, I've experienced what you've described ( I'm an ex courier ) . Also the off road bit, I don't really like following for the same reasons though the flipside of that is that you may get a bit of an advance warning on an unseen hazard.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Talking off-road only here: it can be real fun to ride close together, listening to the other bike, getting sprayed by it and watching the movements of the rider ahead, especially in the wet/slop. I like it on the whole, although it's probably more fun for the person behind. You need a fair bit of trust and understanding of what your mate ahead, and behind, is likely to do.

When we first met Matt, and he joined us on his first dirt day with us, he rode right up my chuff and I did find it disconcerting. Sure enough, I took a last minute turn into a trail I had been looking for, without time to raise a hand/leg to tell him, and he pollaxed right into me at full chat sending us both into the mud. New clutch lever, master cylinder and a few sore bits in the week after. No big deal. We were having a laugh. He still follows closely now, and I don't mind. He's learnt how I ride now and we have a kind of understanding - and always a great laugh too. I never turn down a chance to plaster him in crap if I can. We have also perfected parallel puddle splashing. You actually need to be about 5 yards ahead of your target and on the parallel track to soak him really well...

On the road it's a different matter IMO. I like to give a bit of space and a I prefer to be given it too.

Return to “HOW TO..........”