How to improve your riding...Most important riding skill?

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
SteveR

Re: How to improve your riding...Most important riding skill?

Post by SteveR »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:37 am After over 4 decades of riding, I'd say the most important skill is not falling off.

It's one I still hope to master!

(although on my 950 I always opt to let the thing fall gently, rather then fight it and have it win!)
There speaks a trail rider of experience..... MUCH experience! :-)
sledgegreen

Post by sledgegreen »

I think that many people have misread the question. It seems that many people are answering the question "what is the most important riding skill?", and I would go along with Yoyo - observation. That underpins so many other aspects of riding

But the question actually asks "what do I most need to improve?", and for me that is practically every thing else. I haven't been able to ride for a while, so all my bike handling skills are a bit rusty. Observation skills are probably less rusty, because I have been able to drive and cycle.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Training and practice.

Steve
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

SteveR wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:48 am
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:37 am After over 4 decades of riding, I'd say the most important skill is not falling off.

It's one I still hope to master!

(although on my 950 I always opt to let the thing fall gently, rather then fight it and have it win!)
There speaks a trail rider of experience..... MUCH experience! :-)

I'm really good at falling off...apart from the time I filled my helmet with rocks in Morocco, and the 'elbow down' high-side onto the tank ramp on Salisbury Plain.
Apart from that...43 years of riding (and falling off) without injury.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

slowing down first, you learn more by going slower both road and trail, then learn to speed up (if you wish to) more safely Wish someone told me that a long time ago would have saved me a lot of plastic and plasters.
Misti

Post by Misti »

Sanqhar wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:04 am Confidence.

tom
Confidence is really important but is that something that you can just get? How do you gain confidence when ridng? Are there skills or techniques that help make a rider more confident?
Misti

Post by Misti »

mechanic wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:55 am Being at one with the bike.
Love this. Being at one with the bike. These are great answers but let's look more deeply. HOW do you get to be one with your bike? How can some riders seem to BE ONE with their bikes while others seem detached, less fluid? Is it something they are doing on the bike, or a mindset?
Chunkychops

Post by Chunkychops »

Misti wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:32 pm
Love this. Being at one with the bike. These are great answers but let's look more deeply. HOW do you get to be one with your bike? How can some riders seem to BE ONE with their bikes while others seem detached, less fluid? Is it something they are doing on the bike, or a mindset?
You get to be 'at one' with the bike by cutting out the mental chatter and dropping your ego and being absolutely in the here and now - don't ride the bike to impress your mates. I know it sounds hippy but ask any world class athlete - they are 100% focused and that's where we need to be on the bike and road.
Barftone

Post by Barftone »

Think Smooooooth was one of the best and simplest ones to remember quickly.
Misti

Post by Misti »

Chunkychops wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:33 pm
Misti wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:32 pm
You get to be 'at one' with the bike by cutting out the mental chatter and dropping your ego and being absolutely in the here and now - don't ride the bike to impress your mates. I know it sounds hippy but ask any world class athlete - they are 100% focused and that's where we need to be on the bike and road.
This is one of the main reasons why I ride/race in the first place, because I HAVE to be 100% focussed on what I'm doing. In my regular life my head is full of constant racing thoughts and mental chatter and I find it hard to concentrate and stay focussed on anything really. I kind of bounce around and think of things like a spinning top, but when I am riding all of that falls away and I'm just there in the moment, riding. Its one of the only things I do where I have to remain so focussed.

Return to “HOW TO..........”