How to coach motorcycle riding :)

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Misti

How to coach motorcycle riding :)

Post by Misti »

Hey Everyone,

I'm a riding coach with the California Superbike School (world wide for the past 15 years) and a Moto-journalist (masterclass columnist for Adventure Bike Rider Magazine). Wanted to offer myself to be available to answer any of your riding technique questions you may have. If you want to know more about trail braking, or good throttle control, picking reference points or navigating switchbacks, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer your questions. No riding for most of us right now so the next best thing is talking about motorcycle riding! :)
johnnyboxer

Re: How to coach motorcycle riding [emoji3]

Post by johnnyboxer »

Misti wrote:Hey Everyone,

I'm a riding coach with the California Superbike School (world wide for the past 15 years) and a Moto-journalist (masterclass columnist for Adventure Bike Rider Magazine). Wanted to offer myself to be available to answer any of your riding technique questions you may have. If you want to know more about trail braking, or good throttle control, picking reference points or navigating switchbacks, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer your questions. No riding for most of us right now so the next best thing is talking about motorcycle riding! :)
Got any tips for successfully negotiating ....muddy, water filled ruts, on the trail

Always hate ruts
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
SteveW

Re: How to coach motorcycle riding :)

Post by SteveW »

Me too. I hate ruts.
I guess it's confidence. I get better at riding them the more I do.
The deep rutted logging tracks in Bulgarian woods are epic.....but I've not been there for a couple years so I'd be useless right now. I'm a rut riding God after a couple of weeks! But it's a art I quickly forget.
I suppose it's about momentum, practice and looking ahead not at your front wheel.
I also find sitting down is better when things get particularly nasty in ruts....but that's neither fashionable, stylish or fast.
I find the bike is more stable when I'm on the seat, trail riding isn't a race, so any forward motion is progress!
But any advise would be useful.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

I will be in the rut riding class too please, as I understand and it does make sense, you have to steer via the pegs not the bars, any tips for learning control via the footpegs gratefully received. Thank you.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Hi Misti
I read your article in the ABR magazine, and found it very interesting. A couple of years ago whilst riding in the Pyrenees, I thought I had it nailed as we were riding uphill round the switchbacks at what I thought was a good pace!, when a stream of foreign (possibly German, Swiss or Austrian) bikers went past us two up like we were standing still!!! So some tips please on how to navigate these corners and not ride like a snail! :lol:
Thanks

Oh and thanks for your offer to help all us mere mortals and plodders!
ChrisCole

Post by ChrisCole »

I am another one who would benefit from advice on ruts and switch backs
Many thanks
Red Maverick

Post by Red Maverick »

What a kind offer. Never stop learning.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

I think a good article could be written on how to set up a bike for yourself, whether it is
new or 2nd hand. What can be done, what difference various adjustments can make,
and so on. I bet most of us just buy a bike and ride it, where as we could probably ride
better iff we spent an hour or two making some adjustments here and there. :?:
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Hi,

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated.

So, after many years of riding sports bikes I am now on a Triumph Street Scrambler and a BMW R1250RS.

My last sportsbike was a ZX6R, which gave great feedback through the bars / seat when the front end was nearing the limit (not necessarily keeled right over), but I find the current bikes a little difficult to read / feel.

Is there a way of knowing the limit of adhesion, other than scaring yourself a few times?

Thanks

Iain
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

Interesting theme here - you're all stuck in a rut :lol:
tbh, so was I when I hired an enduro bike for a trail ride day, hateful things...
until I did some ORS courses - they work you hard on ruts, and I did end up riding them for fun once I clicked with the technique - there is no substitute for live coaching !
Another thing they do is a downhill gravel-road top-gear session where you stand up and take your hands off the bars... and if you've not got your feet in the right place to get good bike contact, you find out very fast :shock: Fantastic buzz when you get it right - riding 2 miles without hands on gravel :)
When this is over you need to book a sesh with a local offroad school - you'll love it !

btw
big fan of keith's code ! got into it some years ago when I was a (crap) road racer - again - live coaching is the biz !
2021 890 Adventure R
1982 R80 G/S with Siebenrock
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
1957 Velocette 500 Scrambler

Return to “HOW TO..........”