How do you deal with gusting cross wind?

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
moto al

Re: How do you deal with gusting cross wind?

Post by moto al »

My personal opinion , Iv ridden in thick snow, ice , rain, I had some control. Regarding a cross wind .i shite myself and get off the road.. My personal experience .Al (thumbs)
moto al
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Don't forget to look on the bright side - keep the story to impress your mates around the camp fire! (thumbs)

My best one was when after an terrible ride up from Teruel I finally arrived at Zaragoza* - terrible exposed crossing the Ebro - about on a high bridge that spans 396 metres (I've just looked it up!) before I finally headed east with the wind at my shoulders on the horrible N-II, where there's a huge 'last chance' truck-stop/filling station at the end of the industrial zone.

By then I had a 120 km/h wind on my back and was flying along, totally misjudged my speed as I rode off the carriageway and onto the forecourt, saw all the spilt diesel around the pumps and overshot by about 100 metres, passing the bewildered pump jockeys and a dozen bemused truckers on the way - Oh how they all laughed as I struggled to turn the heavily laden bike around to come back for the essential fuel!

When I got home I finally ordered my X-Tank!

Regs

Simon
* if you're ever on the same route you can ride along the original N-23 for most of the way, this 'traditional' road follows the lie of the land and is mostly in the lee of the landscape, in relative calm, it's also almost completely empty and in good weather is great high speed riding (thumbs)
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
boatman

Post by boatman »

Accidently rode into this last year just short of Ijmuden on our way back from the Nordkapp
Worst I have ridden in so far ,really scary ,just made it into a town , very dangerous.!!
There does come a point where it just ain't doable and this was it ! Stopped at the first hotel
image.png
image.png (245.61 KiB) Viewed 5177 times
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Go faster. Velocity is your friend.
You'll have more gyroscopic stabilty from your wheels and your sheer mass will have more momentum.
Works better on faster heavier bikes :)
Some of us on here once rode across Denmark, bridges and all, in bloody awful winter gales, on overloaded mid size trailys.
450 exc-f
r1100gs
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

MarkR wrote:Go faster. Velocity is your friend.
You'll have more gyroscopic stabilty from your wheels and your sheer mass will have more momentum.
Some of us on here once rode across Denmark, bridges and all, in bloody awful winter gales, on overloaded mid size trailys.
There's always one! :whistle: :laugh:
When the gust that even your extra speed can't stop you going off course comes you will then be even further off course in the same amount of time!
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Unless of course the wind is from behind then you "unfurl the spinnaker and hoist the jolly roger" :woohoo:
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

sprintster wrote:
When the gust that even your extra speed can't stop you going off course comes you will then be even further off course in the same amount of time!
Hasn't killed me yet.
Maybe you should try it before laughing.... ;)
450 exc-f
r1100gs
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

MarkR wrote:
sprintster wrote:
Hasn't killed me yet.
Maybe you should try it before laughing.... ;)
Strangely enough slowing down hasn't killed me yet either,but if it does go pear shaped I've got more time to react to the situation.And why does dropping in the name of a foreign country make your point any more valid? What makes Denmark's wind any worse than Lincolnshire's for example? I'm sure wind being channelled through a narrow Scottish glen can be worse than blowing across the flats of Denmark. :unsure:
IainD

Post by IainD »

I blame the dog :laugh:
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Stop if need be.
Seek alternative route.
Use surroundings as wind break. Other vehicles if safe.
Adapt and over come

Return to “HOW TO..........”