Converting a trailer to take bikes

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Paul-S

Re: Converting a trailer to take bikes

Post by Paul-S »

snaf wrote:I did something similar to one of my trailers a while back, all I did was remove the front panel and remade it with a V front as long as you've enough room to do that between the existing front and the hitch you shouldn't need anything else.
I did think of that too but it would limit me to one bike. I do have enough room for this
Twintec

Post by Twintec »

I have a Trelgo single bike trailer which I converted to fit 2 bikes with an extra rail. I did a lot of towing with my friends Aprilia Pegaso 650 and my Yamaha TTR600RE side by side which by my calculations probably put it over its maximum plated gross weight by about 30kg, though I never weighed it and depending on fuel loads in the bikes. If anything it tows better with 2 than one (less bouncy). I just made sure I had good quality wheel bearings and took care of the (8") tyres. Stores on its end and has built in lights. Don't really use it now since we both have GS's. I hadn't really thought about it but would consider selling if interested, PM me.
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

Hi
I've had my trailer about 10 years now and I don't think there's a plate anywhere on it - is there a fairly simple way to legalise an old piece of kit - MOT tester or similar or is anything that's not plated now only good for scrap? :dry:
The trailer isn't a recognisable manufacturer (Williams etc) but I don't think it's home made either.

Cheers
Harv
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Update

After looking at options and weighing up what my trailer could (or could not) do in my case I decided to buy a good quality bike specific trailer. Got a Phoenix 2-3 bike trailer 750 kgs gross, 540 kgs payload so it will comfortably take 2 big bikes like my Africa Twins or 3 trail bikes. Very sturdy and will fair better in the event of any unfortunate issues on the road compared to some other lighter trailers I looked at

Going to get some sides made up to be able to also use it as a normal trailer and sell off the old trailer (thanks Johnnyboxer good call). The trailer will live in my garage as does the existing one now

My existing trailer would have been overweight with just one of my Africa Twins on it so that option was ruled out.

Return to “HOW TO..........”