Converting a trailer to take bikes

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Hi Peeps

I have looked at a few 2 - 3 bike trailers and there are some rickety ones and some good quality ones (Pheonix etc). They will all give me the same storage issue if bought as a stand alone bike trailer. Good quality ones are around the £350 mark. I figure I could spend just over half of that converting my own.

This is a dilema about do I convert or buy a bike specific trailer capable of 2 bikes

I have a 6(l) x 4(w) x 2(h) good quality home made trailer that does get used and I do not want to part with. Base made from 2" square box section steel, angle iron for the sides, marine ply walls and floor, jockey wheel, indespension units (not sure of weight rating - how do I check this?) and old style mini 145 R 10" wheels & tyres, lightboard etc

The trailer lives in the garage and I would want to still be able to do this if modified

I bought some bike tracks to fit and tie down hoops

Ideally I would like to extend the floor area forward another 40cms (I based this on the length of my ATs so that they would fit in the trailer with the rear closed up). This would entail adding further sides and extending the frame. Also the hitch arm at the front of the A frame will need extending but I want to be able to fold this bit up so the trailer can still fit in the same space in the garage

Am I being unreasonable?

Any tips, ideas welcome
Mike54

Re: Converting a trailer to take bikes

Post by Mike54 »

Bear in mind that all trailers now need a plate (legal requirement). I have seen many stopped at vosa stations because of this. Sure, someone will come along and say just buy a plate from ebay, but if you were to have an unfortunate drama, you could get into a lot of trouble for not having a trailer which has been plated at the point of manufacture.
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Thanks Mike

Wasn't aware of that

What does the plate do? (I have seen some plates on trailers with the weights and max load etc)

Does this mean all home made trailers are now illegal if not plated?
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

I went from this (cost me £350 used)

IMG_2666.JPG
IMG_2666.JPG (64.38 KiB) Viewed 2737 times

to this (cost me £375 used)

IMG_2669.JPG
IMG_2669.JPG (53.43 KiB) Viewed 2737 times

Mainly because it was so much more versatile, it's a galvanised Lynton 8x4 1.5t braked trailer, with ramp and can take 2 enduro bikes or one big 1000cc Adv bike

It has a removable central channel and hoop for the bike, which I clip in and out as necessary

It came with a lockable box on the front, for boots/locks and bike gear

I'm going to get some galvanised weldmesh sides made up for it, to make a cage and then get a cover made, so a bike is out of sight and also stays clean and dry over winter

I was quoted £350 for 3 sides, together with a spare wheel holder made, by a fabricator and I guess a tonneau would be another £200

So for less than £1k, i have a quality trailer with many different options for bike, garden waste and logs/wood for processing into logs

Bargain, in my book - when you look at some new prices for Ifor Williams trailers
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Mike54 wrote:Bear in mind that all trailers now need a plate (legal requirement). I have seen many stopped at vosa stations because of this. Sure, someone will come along and say just buy a plate from ebay, but if you were to have an unfortunate drama, you could get into a lot of trouble for not having a trailer which has been plated at the point of manufacture.
When was this requirement introduced? How does it apply to trailers built before that date?

Or home made jobbies, come to that?
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

6ft won't be long enough for most bikes, 7ft about the minimum.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Crossrutted wrote:
Mike54 wrote:Bear in mind that all trailers now need a plate (legal requirement). I have seen many stopped at vosa stations because of this. Sure, someone will come along and say just buy a plate from ebay, but if you were to have an unfortunate drama, you could get into a lot of trouble for not having a trailer which has been plated at the point of manufacture.
When was this requirement introduced? How does it apply to trailers built before that date?

Since 1982 all trailers, including unbraked ones, must be clearly marked with their maximum gross weight in kilograms.
Since January 1, 1997, all unbraked trailer plates must show the year of manufacture.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Mike54 wrote:
Crossrutted wrote:

Since 1982 all trailers, including unbraked ones, must be clearly marked with their maximum gross weight in kilograms.
Since January 1, 1997, all unbraked trailer plates must show the year of manufacture.
Thanks.
snaf

Post by snaf »

I've just had a quick check and the max load on a pair of 10" tyres would appear to be 480kg but that is a 6ply tyre. I couldn't find a 135x10 tyre so I'd guess it's less than that.

I did something similar to one of my trailers a while back, all I did was remove the front panel and remade it with a V front as long as you've enough room to do that between the existing front and the hitch you shouldn't need anything else.

Not all trailers need a plate as such to show the weight limit/age etc, it just has to be clear and permanent, I've etched/welded and punched in the past.

Anything after Oct 2013 (with some exceptions) has to be plated and conform to the latest EU harmonisation regulations.

I'm assuming that you're only caring the one AT.
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

I want the ability to carry an AT and one other bike <200kg or the DRZ plus the DR350

Either way I want to carry 2 bikes

Just checked the tyres again and they are 145R10 680 lbs 310 kgs. I assume this is the max load per tyre

Return to “HOW TO..........”