How "NOT" to Husky

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Dutchgit

Re: How "NOT" to Husky

Post by Dutchgit »

It's a steep learning curve but you're doing well at it ! (thumbs)
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
HU55KY

Post by HU55KY »

The bag of goodies arrived from Huskysport today and the new carb hoses.

The flywheel has been transferred from the old motor to the new.

The rear swingarm has a nut on the end of the axle bolt... there's a novelty :whistle:

The tank can now hang on two hangers rather than just the one.

New pads in the front caliper and the caliper bolted back on... does seem to be binding a bit :blush:

And the rear subframe and air box have had a clean and been refitted.

I've ordered a short piece of silicone hose that has an internal diameter of 60mm to hopefully solve the carb manifold conundrum, I'll know more when it arrives.
HU55KY

Post by HU55KY »

To get the flywheel nut torqued correctly I had to take the transmission cover off and wedge a soft washer in the teeth of the primary gears and then I had to download the user instructions for the torque wrench... ;)

Flywheel on, then the flywheel cover and the transmission cover... so far so good.

Now to the clutch cover which wouldn't fit :blink: so I pulled the rod out of the middle and it's about 5mm longer than the one from the old engine :dry:
DSCN0405.jpg
DSCN0405.jpg (12.87 KiB) Viewed 5434 times
What to do...
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

But the clutch cover is on the engine in the pic you first showed the new engine.
Surely there must be some mistake ?
Or is the operating cylinder not going on ?
HU55KY

Post by HU55KY »

You're quite right!

The small operating cylinder, the cover on the end of the braided clutch hose.

This one...
DSCN0408.jpg
DSCN0408.jpg (79.98 KiB) Viewed 5434 times
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

Try taking the cover off the master cylinder, maybe too much oil in there.
You have to push it on a bit but make sure you do it straight. (you can use the bolts doing it but you'd have no feel doing it that way.)
HU55KY

Post by HU55KY »

Thanks for your input Dutchgit.

I've sent an email to Huskyparts and I'll phone Huskysport in the morning before I get heavy handed.
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

Don't forget the gasket !
HU55KY

Post by HU55KY »

Having been a bit dim I have now seen the light...

It dawned on me that a clutch actuator hose being braided was a dead giveaway for "quite a bit of pressure needed" to push that rod through it's little hole and no amount of pushing it with my thumb was going to make the slightest difference... :blush:

I also noted that each rod in it's respective engine stuck out by the same amount.

As you said Dutchgit, I reassembled the cover and the piston, not forgetting the little rubber o-ring, and bolted it back on, job done. (thumbs)

The decompressor cable has been hooked up, the rear brake pedal and cylinder connected, the kick start... ooh temptation :evil:, new radiator hoses on, new chain rollers as the old ones had completely seized just like the chain guide which I still need to replace, and finally the oil filters removed cleaned, last remaining dribbles of old oil out and the paper oil filter removed ready for a new one!

I haven't looked at the new chain yet but imagine I'll have to split it to get the correct length?! Can anyone recommend a good chain tool???
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

Fill the oil filter with oil before you fit it or it might expand, making it more difficult to get next time.
If you use a grinder to grind off the little stub ends you can use a small punch to separate the chain. Easiest is to use a separable link if you don't want to invest in tools. (Carry a spare link on the bike)

Return to “HOW TO..........”