RAM mount mod

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Rider-Man

RAM mount mod

Post by Rider-Man »

I would like to share a “hack” that I used to mount my SatNav to my XT660Z Ténéré, which I think worked out rather well.

You will need:
  • 1 good quality golf ball
  • hacksaw
  • sharp knife
  • drill press (or a steady hand) and drill bits up to 12mm
  • sharpie (optional)
Start with a decent quality golf ball. It doesn't have to be new, but we need the core that only the better branded balls seem to have. The cheaper, “driving range” balls are solid all the way through.

Use a hacksaw to saw a groove along the circumference of the ball. Not too deep – only about 3-5mm, as we are only removing the cover at this point.
Once you've removed the cover you should see what looks like a ball of rubber bands. Use a knife to remove the rubber band wrapping. This will leave you the core; a solid rubber ball almost exactly the same size as a 1” RAM ball mount.

Next, drill a 12mm hole through the ball. I started by drilling a pilot hole with my smallest drill bit, then worked up through the sizes until I got to 12mm.

Cut a slot with the hacksaw in one side of the ball, parallel to the hole of course, so you can slip the ball over the rail above the instruments.

You can paint the ball to match your bike at this point if you wish. I used a sharpie to colour mine.

Finally, fit the ball to the rail, then the RAM extension arm over the ball and install your GPS. Job done!

(apologies for the poor quality photos)
almar

Re: RAM mount mod

Post by almar »

Yes I do like that ! Well done
Rust

Post by Rust »

Cracking Idea.
One question, what made you try cutting open a golf ball to try in the first place?

I seem to remember cutting one up as a kid and the centre ball was full of orrible gooey stuff......are they all solid these days?
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

or just get one of these?

ratass

Post by ratass »

Got me looking for blinking golf ball i knowni have somewhere :angry:
Jon
Biquad

Post by Biquad »

Mike54 wrote:or just get one of these?

That will not work as you'd have to cut it open to fit over the bar!
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

I've used a steel bearing ball. Welded a cut down bolt on it and fitted it to my hand guard.

Now I can fit the satnav on it.

It'll end in tears I tells ya.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Rust wrote:Cracking Idea.
One question, what made you try cutting open a golf ball to try in the first place?

I seem to remember cutting one up as a kid and the centre ball was full of orrible gooey stuff......are they all solid these days?
I believe that gooey stuff was Mercury!!!!(that's what I was told) very nasty stuff....Ah the things we played with as a kid eh!!! I remember my Dad owned an engineering works and there was always a full skip of swarf out the back to bounce around in!!!!great fun and happy days........ :laugh: Elf & Safety not at its best hahahaha
Wapping

Post by Wapping »

Mercury filled golf balls?

Whatever next?

:silly:
Big Yellow Tractor

Post by Big Yellow Tractor »

Wapping wrote:Mercury filled golf balls?

Whatever next?

:silly:
I'm pretty sure it was just liquid natural rubber

Return to “HOW TO..........”