Where do you distribute weight on your bike?

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
david

Re: Where do you distribute weight on your bike?

Post by david »

Great topic, Im just Farlking with the CRF and a bottle of Bubbly.
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

right down the middle because of my f-cking great guts.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Right then:
AndyB wrote:Get the weight high up at the back because wheelies are always fun (thumbs)
I rather enjoy them too, but not if all my stuff is onboard.
Tramp wrote:Hi Brenden..i use a atv tank bag thingy on the ccn throw over the tank and held on with a strong elastic net..holds camera and sunglasses..front tube and wet wipes and spare gloves..it does spread the knees but not uncomfy rode the trails too and it didnt.move but youd need a plastic bag if it rained..i have 13ltr tankband managed fine just refilled at 100mls with 50 left..use 2 20ltr dry bags clipped together thrown over seat and a 35ltr duffle...thats 15kg max..with tent its extra 2kg...have small topbox for waterproofs and dailybfood....sorted..
Cool, forgot about access to waterproofs. Hopefully I'll have a new helmet with flip down shades so thats one thing not to worry about. Are the wet wipes for bugs on the visor/face? Fuel tank is pretty big and am currently testing, I'm hoping for about 150miles range. My rear luggage is a couple of ex army 35l rucksack. I will not be using a topbox so need to think about that.
Road2Manchester wrote:I weigh 20 stone..... it makes no difference LOL
I probably be the same after 3 week Pyrennean hostipality and ferry booze.
gland wrote:I carry most of weight round my middle but have a surprisingly small arse
Most make you popular in prison ;)
Elle wrote:I've contemplated tank bags - a few Serow guys use cheap army bags from ebay & I liked their adaptations. One guy had a tupperware box in each to keep documents, extra cash and some lightweight camping items dry and easily accessible. Personally, I wouldn't use them to store anything easily breakable or metal objects that could pierce the tank. Re fuel - what about a flat fuel container that straps to the rear rack? It won't be taking up valuable space & isn't likely to get crushed in a fall. If you're going to the Horizons weekend, it's a great time to look around at what others have done (thumbs)
I will have to check nothing fowls my knees, the tank is wide enough.
Tupperware is a great idea and one I used last time. All my paperwork etc will be in the camelpack.
The fuel I mention is meths for the trangia and it will be in fuelfreind.
I was thinking of using two of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151318765168? ... 1423.l2649
I don't want to take my rear rack if I can help it. Its heavy. I can't be at the Horizons or Zen but I will be at the ABR midlands rally so you can all critique my choices then :P
david wrote:Great topic, Im just Farlking with the CRF and a bottle of Bubbly.
Are you trying to install a champagne mounting kit to your bike? There could be a market for that!
Willandkate wrote:Just chuck it in. Heavy bits at bottom if poss like any other bag/packing. Don't forget not to brim the bags, it makes it a pain everytime you pack up and move on. Give yourself some space, if you've forgotten something there will be shops along the way. If you're new to this don't be too hard on yourself. We all learn a little bit everytime we ride.
Have fun
This is the best advice, and also that which I am least likely to follow. Last time I bought loads of stuff on the way and chucked stuff out too. That said I had more power and no offroad.

Thanks everyone. Bike comes back on monday with fixed suspension, brakes and clutch. After that it will be in the workshop being farkled to death :)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
Elle

Post by Elle »

these already have the bit that goes over the fuel filler
tank bag

Search on ebay for ATV Tank Bags & you get a few returned :)
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Thanks Elle, they are cheap too!
Elle wrote:these already have the bit that goes over the fuel filler
tank bag

Search on ebay for ATV Tank Bags & you get a few returned :)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

redbikejohn wrote:
Might be a good idea to fit a heavier rear spring for the trip.
Sounds easier than it is :whistle:

Suspension should be good for 2up + luggage.
Just wind in a bit more pre-load to cover the sag of the extra weight (thumbs)
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.

Return to β€œHOW TO..........”