filtering on solid white lines

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
inkyjim92

filtering on solid white lines

Post by inkyjim92 »

Evening Chaps and chapettes. I was wondering what your views on filtering on solid white lines are. The government website states:
Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
I take this as if the traffic is not moving or just crawling then you can pootle past. Just wondering what you lot do.
James
A crossed thread is better than no thread
Tim Cullis

Re: filtering on solid white lines

Post by Tim Cullis »

I've always thought the wording is quite clear, and in my mind you can't cross double white lines if the traffic is crawling unless you are passing a cycle, horse or road sweeper etc.

You can, however, cross double white lines if the traffic on your side of the road is fully stopped, so long as there's somewhere for you to reenter your lane, and if it's safe to do so. Forcing oncoming traffic to swerve out of your way wouldn't count as being safe and might be one of the reasons the double white lines were there in the first place.

The moment the traffic on your side of the road starts moving again you must reenter your lane.
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

That would suggest that if you don't cross the solid white line you're ok to filter. You can otherwise only cross the solid white line to pass the specific vehicles listed which doesn't seem to include slow moving traffic in general.
Happiness has 125cc ...
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Yep double white lines or single on your side doesn`t mean you can`t overtake it just means you shouldn`t cross them.
BigT

Post by BigT »

Got my first 3 points by crossing double white lines, a line of very slow moving traffic (10mph) approaching a roundabout,im travelling down the outside keeping within the lane and one twat in a cage pulls right over to the white lines to stop me getting past !! didn't notice the cops were also in the queue :angry: so DONT do it (thumbs)
the older i get...the faster i was :-)
special one

Post by special one »

BigT wrote:Got my first 3 points by crossing double white lines, a line of very slow moving traffic (10mph) approaching a roundabout,im travelling down the outside keeping within the lane and one twat in a cage pulls right over to the white lines to stop me getting past !! didn't notice the cops were also in the queue :angry: so DONT do it (thumbs)
I would've argued that one tbh, less than 10mph is acceptable for an overtake, filtering is not illegal.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
BigT

Post by BigT »

Oh I argued with him for quite a while, but he was having none of it, despite the fact he already had a crim in handcuffs sitting in the back seat, he also dished out 3 points to my mate who followed me through :ohmy: and then proceeded to tell me how he was a biker also ( expecting us to suddenly become his best buddies ) the good ole PSNI, saving us from ourselves yet again (thumbs)
the older i get...the faster i was :-)
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Many years ago in Scotland I was the last of 3 bikes filtering to the front at temporary traffic lights. The others managed to get to the front before the traffic started to move but I had to slot in to the now moving traffic and I had crossed solid white lines. Once clear of the roadworks it became clear that I had pulled in front of an unmarked Police car at the traffic lights, the clue was the blue lights behind the grill. They pulled me over and explained that whilst the traffic wasn't moving it was filtering but as soon as the traffic started to move I should have pulled in immediately instead of overtaking 2 more cars which he said was "Dangerous driving". The good Cop/bad Cop ensued but after checking out my documents the let me go with a flea in my ear and a warning about the speed trap further down the road (thumbs) .
So personally I wouldn't do it.
The Law may allow a technicality where you can argue that the traffic was stationary but when pulled at the roadside you would have to be prepared to take it to Court rather than take a ticket.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
APD_660Ten

Re: Re: filtering on solid white lines

Post by APD_660Ten »

Freeloadeur wrote:That would suggest that if you don't cross the solid white line you're ok to filter. You can otherwise only cross the solid white line to pass the specific vehicles listed which doesn't seem to include slow moving traffic in general.
I'd agree with that. Plenty of roads that are more than safe enough to allow a bike to pass a car with out going over the solid whites. The trick is to not push your luck and squeeze the bike where it really won't go.

I have wondered in the past what the definition of straddle means with bikes and white lines. Does riding actually on it count? Tend to not take the chance these days though. Rather keep my 60 quid for the next weekend out.
special one

Re: Re: filtering on solid white lines

Post by special one »

Just remember, police are human too, they make mistakes as much as the rest of us, some of them don't know the laws as much as they think, which is why when they go to court a motoring lawyer will almost certainly pick the case apart.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.

Return to “HOW TO..........”