Project pannier build.

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
rusty

Project pannier build.

Post by rusty »

Just thought I might share this with you. :unsure:

Well folks, I have been planning to make some alu boxes for the twin for some time now. I was very impressed with some of the homemade ones I have seen around and they were near enough to what I wanted. But to cut down on cost and weight, I decided not to use the
angle profile some lads used. So I needed something to bend the aluminum at the corners. I came up with this contraption,
it consists of two 30in lengths of 2in angle and a 20in lenght to clamp the alu and two hinges I had lying around.
The angle is from some scaffolding I came across ! I tried welding the hinges on, but my welding is sh#t and it didn't hold,
so nut and bolt job. Drilled and tapped the top bar/clamp for a good grip on the sheet.

Here it is.

Added some vice grips for leverage.

I am using 2mm alu for rigidity. I was going to try and do them in one continuous sheet, but being a novice at this, I thought it better to make the side boxes
in four pieces as there was a chance of the one not marrying up. Having said that I'm going to chance a top box in one sheet. I also wanted to do two 45 degree instead of a 90, just for aesthetics and I like it.

Not too bad.

Two ends done.

Shaping up nicely.

The walls all done on number one.

Stay tuned for more trilling installments !!!!!!!

Cheers
Gerry
bull

Re: Project pannier build.

Post by bull »

looking good, fine job
davecopland

Post by davecopland »

Nice looking job there .
Growls

Project pannier build.

Post by Growls »

Excellent. Keep it up.
Willandkate

Post by Willandkate »

Growls wrote:Excellent. Keep it up.
Fantastic, are you going for waterproof lids or just get around it with liners? Wish I could weld properly, whenever I've tried it looks like a seagull has visited!
Our biggest ride - Australia to England

www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

That looks ace well done :)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
Morph

Post by Morph »

Looks good so far, how are you going to join the 4 sheets?
The lightest piece of kit is the one you leave behind...
jaz1259

Post by jaz1259 »

Are you going to pop rivet them or weld, very nice job though when you finished theyll be just like toura ripoff except youll have saved 1000 quid
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

I'm following this with interestas I fancy having a go at making a top box for round town use. I'm intrigued to see what you do for the lid, that always seems to be the problem area to me.
Willandkate wrote:Fantastic, are you going for waterproof lids or just get around it with liners? Wish I could weld properly, whenever I've tried it looks like a seagull has visited!
Ah, but I know a man who can weld :P
Happiness has 125cc ...
rusty

Post by rusty »

Thanks for your comments folks, much appreciated.

I am hoping to make them watertight with copious amounts of a fairly decent silicone sealant and rubber seals on the lid.

I will be riveting the joints and using the silicone. As for the lids I'll probably get them welded at the corners. I'll see how I get on with the bases first.

Thanks again
Gerry

Return to β€œHOW TO..........”