Midges

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Froglodyte

Re: Midges

Post by Froglodyte »

Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

blue bus wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:22 pm have them little buggers finished for the year yet , around Ben Nevis
First frost of the year tends to dampen their enthusiasm to come out. So, hopefully soon 8-)
Monster

Post by Monster »

Elmer J Fudd wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:44 pm Midgie nets are well worth it, but need to be well tucked in to keep the wee buggers out. Smoking a pipe or being next to a pipe smoker also works, but can affect you in other ways. Citronella candles for the tent.

Skin so soft apparently isn't as effective anymore, but you can buy the original formula, never used it myself, the idea not to rub it in, but sit on the skin creating a film. I've used jungle formula and smidge for many years to good effect.

This is a good site for info https://www.calltoadventure.uk/post/midges-in-scotland

Check for ticks every night and if gotten go to the doctor
At the risk of sounding like the HSE ....candles in a tent are usually a bad idea
Beware on that one
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

As well as a head net - I pack a light long sleeve shirt and light tight fitting gloves to wear once at the campsite
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Flintlock wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:54 pm As well as a head net - I pack a light long sleeve shirt and light tight fitting gloves to wear once at the campsite
Good ideas... I think I will take some rubber work gloves .. tape them to my one piece waterproofs at the wrists, not forgetting the ankles and rubber flippers .. o .. a snorkel is a good idea, to poke out of the sowester and fitted plastic tesco bag ... :mrgreen: :D 8-)
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

garyboy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:14 pm
Flintlock wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:54 pm As well as a head net - I pack a light long sleeve shirt and light tight fitting gloves to wear once at the campsite
Good ideas... I think I will take some rubber work gloves .. tape them to my one piece waterproofs at the wrists, not forgetting the ankles and rubber flippers .. o .. a snorkel is a good idea, to poke out of the sowester and fitted plastic tesco bag ... :mrgreen: :D 8-)
Headnets are great until you forget and try and eat something.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Why would anyone be hungry though, with all that meat between ya teeth, from riding there lol :D
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Monster wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:27 pm At the risk of sounding like the HSE ....candles in a tent are usually a bad idea
Beware on that one
Well, yes, I suppose you do. :lol:

You light the candle for a short time to get the benefit then extinguish. A few minutes is enough for a decent sized tent.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Elmer J Fudd wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:19 pm
Monster wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:27 pm At the risk of sounding like the HSE ....candles in a tent are usually a bad idea
Beware on that one
Well, yes, I suppose you do. :lol:

You light the candle for a short time to get the benefit then extinguish. A few minutes is enough for a decent sized tent.. to burn down.
No.. seriously.. I keep the flame low, and covered with say the kettle, and it's fine 8-)

Return to “HOW TO..........”