Crf 300 Rally - The Adventure Begins

Post up pics of you and your bike. A place for members to get all arty farty, creative and, er, post up snaps.
johnnyboxer

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - The Adventure Begins

Post by johnnyboxer »

minkyhead wrote:as a obsevation and being fair minded as well i took a himalayan out a while back ..to be fair im a big unit 16 stone and 6f 1in tall and it was a pretty cramped affair for me ..the side panels and the exhaust conspired to make it a pretty awkward stance to stand and keep my feet comfortable on the footcontrols ..stuff i guess that can be solved ..it has a pleasent nature on the road and its quite nice to ride ..over 5k its a bit stressed and past it touque curve where the crf starts and at 7k is like a pig in shit ..so different

its a pretty good hobby slagging the coconut shy crf suspension with most ..but the truth is the rear shock has no rebound and the front forks actually do a pretty reasonable job unless you want to hit washing up bowls at 40 mph
i did take the himmy down the local coach road which is tree rooted whoopsy distressed and broken badly ..its a fair test on any suspension made easier or harder by the speeds you choose
heres the truth the himilyans suspension is borderline terrible down there harsh crashy deflecty and you will damage it pretty easily by bottoming out its beyond its remit over 20mph ,,even a stock crf mushy and bouncy is light years better on that track it one of them that has whoops that land you on a upslope of the next adverse cambers big holes teree roots and gravelly rain ruts
id say the crf is 50 percent more capable there than a himmlayan as is with nothing done ? if you want to ride the fill remit of uk tracks ...if you get the crf up to full suspension spec ,,proper sag full travel expect a seat height south of 940mm which at a guess it 10cm highr than the himmy its then tbo on different planet when it comes to the knarly steppy stuff ...you can place a full face adv lid iunder the belly pan of the rally after around 12inches clearance and it still gets banged now and again .the other big upside of that is the pegs are clear of all but extream deep ruts i have no measure but id think maby 5inches higher than the himmy from the base of the front wheel
..so you have to be clear on what you want it for and do you really need it ?
id say for sure a fully set up rally properly done will be far too tall for your dad as a novice if hes under 6ft .it is a a tall perch similar to most enduros
..im pretty sure your looking at distresed roads and jeep tracks maby easier trails to ride together .

tbo id get a himmy each share one set of spares and tools be safe and steady with the ability to get both feet on the ground on the awkward bits .. save a grand or more on the rally and get a rear shock each and whatever the himmy lads say is good for the front .....as imho the himmy suspension is pretty poor paricularly the rear ..when questions are asked in a high speed hit envoroment
...just needs to be upgraded at both ends to make life plusher and more contoiled
There’s the voice of reality & reason - well said Minky
These Himalayan bikes are over hyped I reckon
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
adventure steele

Post by adventure steele »

To be honest Johnny i totally agree that's my current take after living with it and dealing with the issues that seem to be coming pretty constant.

I've also noticed on some off the fb groups when trying to do a balanced post pointing out that it's all not roses and happiness quite a few people didn't like it which is a shame as unless people say x y and z have all gone wrong an there's no replacment part for z yet then we all just get a sub standard product as an end user so when things go wrong especially when it's the same issues across a multitude of other bikes. What suprised me was people having the same issues pretty much defending Enfield over the price which doesn't sit right with me as they arnt to different in price now.

I love the riding aspect of it but it's no good if the reliability is sub par. From a personal experience having had the long stroke singles that the Himalayan is trying to ape the build quality is quite stark. That's my take on it currently.

For me I'd rather say these things arnt going to swell at the moment rather than just saying it's all great. Honesty is the best policy. I'm mature enough to say oops might have made a rick here.

I think a good analogy is if a TV only displayed half the picture or the sound was on an off you would take it back even though it was only a 300 quid TV when you can buy 5k ones.

I reckon my current thoughts at the moment are I could get more reliability out of a Japanese Classic than I can this with better parts reliability an thats from the experience of running some as dailys even did 2k miles in a week on a 250lc at one point.

If its an older bike I don't mind a bit of spannering but on a new one I do because the warranty isn't then worth the extra money you've spent.

That's my take on it. I was really excited for the Himalayan but at the moment it's not living up to expectations. From a riding point of view yes from a reliability point on a Modern bike no.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

It's good to experiment with different motorcycles and to follow your dream. We've all done it, and no one will talk us out of the bike we want and set our heart on. The obvious reason bikers mostly stick with the established manufacturers is because of their expertise, experience, parts availability.. and their huge investment in r and d.

Most bikers on here have over half a century of biking experience, and won't condemn a new rider for their enthusiasm, but also also have great knowledge of old and modern bikes.

My first bike was a RE crusader, back in the late sixties. We called them Royal Oil leaks .... for a reason, and they had poor performance and would always have maintenance problems and some breakdowns. I remember the Japanese models coming in to the UK, and they were a breath of fresh air. Powerful 2 strokes with unparalleled reliability. I liked Suzuki, and would not lower myself to a Honda as they were boring but solid.

Now, with their r and d, and great attention to detail, they produce very reliable budget bikes that can compete with more expensive brands and have superior market share. People are waiting over a year for the small crf s.

RE are basically a re bullet base, based on a first world war design that lasted until the late sixties, simply put. Their mc investment is not up to say Honda standards, and their market is not aimed as such. They seem a charming retro design, and there is great virtue in their concept, and is well sought-after. Their concept of 'simple, long stroke, sensible seat, easy maintenance, ' is great, but one has to remember where it came from, who it is aimed at, and its development brief.

Great ideas are best measured and modified by practicality. Bur I admire your enthusiasm, and willingness to experience and learn, and no one can say you have made a wrong choice .. it's your choice snd you have gained pleasure and experience from it.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Screenshot 2022-09-28 at 18.18.32.png
Screenshot 2022-09-28 at 18.18.32.png (455.72 KiB) Viewed 664 times
adventure steele

Thanks Gary an Hugh yep we all never stop learning an I always appreciate the input from everyone on here that's always been my moto the main thing I wanted to do was draw up a bit of a list off the issues I've had so far as they all seem very common issues which tbh if the dealers nipped them in the bud at PDI things would be better as it's a shame as it mars whats a great general riding bike with some charm to it an if you want a long stroke as you say not alot of choices any more.

Again both sets off issues have been caused by the dealers apart from the rubbish front brake light switches which are faulty and the semi seized swinger apparently the dealers had a note for that and it should have been done at PDI.

I think it's interesting from my perspective having worked on the 1944 WW2 RAF Norton 16H and the 1927 16H flat tanker an having ridden that at pace through last winter you realise bikes haven't really moved on as much as we think work on the Nortons from 27 to 68 and you can see the similarities.

Yep that's the exact reason Gary all my previous modern bikes have mainly been Japanese dad and I were talking before and all the issues we have had was the Euro and Indian brands an mostly caused by dealers lol.

Had a 675 Daytona at its first service grenade itself as they started it up with no oil in :shock: Then a R1200GSA Te that went through an FD and 3 engines + a gearbox again a dealer screw up at valve check that caused that then ESA issues. F800GS was head bearings all the time, the two KTM's were both disasters 147 and 269 miles with a list of faults as long as your arm both of those went back. Shame as when they worked the weight suspension an engine performance was a good place to be if it hadn't been for the faults an now the Himmy, if I look back at the modern Japanese bikes which I swapped out often to try keep some semblance of equity with the miles I was doing 30k in a year wasn't unusual.

So it's been interesting trying a few alternate bikes what can I say glutten for punishment ha!

I could talk 80s bikes all day long mate loved my rd250lc, an 350lc's still got one elsie could never be without one. It's been interesting running the 1967 Norton 650ss as a daily then experiencing the development to the Commando, then up to the rd250c air-cooled more raw that was a fun bike but my heart for the 80s stuff will be with the 350lc an the gsx750et the gsx was epic sublime gearbox epic engine propper muscle bike that went to make way for the flat tanker an the new owners doing trackdays on it :)

Yep I'm always willing to give anything a good whirl and a go I don't always sell bikes quick though had my Fireblade since 2010 an love it to bits. Nortons for over 11 years to so when I find something I like that fits its purpose it stays. Test rides are ok but you only get a tiny flavour of it when you've lived with something for a bit any negatives can come apparent then you can work out whether they are compromises you want to live with.

Having a lighter bike than my 1200gs te rallye has done my shoulder the world of good an its actually back to 90% an pain free so that was certainly the right move.

It's just the adv bikes ive flicked through a bit at the moment.

I'm not gonna make any rash choices with the Himalayan got a few ideas for sorting the issues on it but it does give me pause as to what the internal engine components might be like if they have cut corners on parts that cost pennies but on the flip side providing peeps are being honest it does look like there's a few out there doing well.

Lot's to think about over the next few days. You have to tip your hat still to the Japanese brands it has to be said now I've experienced most off the different brands.

I always think there's no right or wrong choice just different ones an different paths that's my philosophical thought for tonight haha
johnnyboxer

Royal Enfield Himalayan - The Adventure Begins

Post by johnnyboxer »

adventure steele wrote:To be honest Johnny i totally agree that's my current take after living with it and dealing with the issues that seem to be coming pretty constant.

I've also noticed on some off the fb groups when trying to do a balanced post pointing out that it's all not roses and happiness quite a few people didn't like it which is a shame as unless people say x y and z have all gone wrong an there's no replacment part for z yet then we all just get a sub standard product as an end user so when things go wrong especially when it's the same issues across a multitude of other bikes. What suprised me was people having the same issues pretty much defending Enfield over the price which doesn't sit right with me as they arnt to different in price now.

I love the riding aspect of it but it's no good if the reliability is sub par. From a personal experience having had the long stroke singles that the Himalayan is trying to ape the build quality is quite stark. That's my take on it currently.

For me I'd rather say these things arnt going to swell at the moment rather than just saying it's all great. Honesty is the best policy. I'm mature enough to say oops might have made a rick here.

I think a good analogy is if a TV only displayed half the picture or the sound was on an off you would take it back even though it was only a 300 quid TV when you can buy 5k ones.

I reckon my current thoughts at the moment are I could get more reliability out of a Japanese Classic than I can this with better parts reliability an thats from the experience of running some as dailys even did 2k miles in a week on a 250lc at one point.

If its an older bike I don't mind a bit of spannering but on a new one I do because the warranty isn't then worth the extra money you've spent.

That's my take on it. I was really excited for the Himalayan but at the moment it's not living up to expectations. From a riding point of view yes from a reliability point on a Modern bike no.
Sorry to hear that all is not so good
They do look nice and the market is there, but as you say the price is edging up
£5000 or so for a Himalayan OR £5500 for a CRF 300L ?
I would take the Honda - especially as the upgrade possibilities are nearly endless and buying genuine parts from Thailand is very inexpensive
Plus the Himalayan is really, really heavy
Defending a Himalayan because is cheap, is not really valid as you say
I bought a Tenere 700 and as a bike I really like it, as a middleweight
It’s capable and good for all sorts
Mods are endless too, as it’s a roaring success on every continent of the world

With money we don't have

Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Having seen things from both sides of the counter, I have to say that pretty much all manufacturers produce the odd 'Friday' bike...then there are model-wide issues which the manufacturer has inadvertently 'designed' or 'built' in.
And there are some customers who either 'fiddle and break' or ignore basic maintenance and checks. Or just have nil mechanical sympathy. I once had a 'fatherly word' with one of my customers about the way he rode his bike.
"But I don't thrash it," he protested. "I always change up at t' mark!"
By which, he meant he was red-lining it in every gear all the time.
But a hell of a lot of problems are created within the dealer workshop for one reason or another. Something we now see right across the piece from heavy trucks to motorcycles is a generation of technicians raised on electronic diagnosis who have never done the eyeball checks as a first step, or do the basic things like shaking a wire to see if the electrical problem goes away.
Instead, they tend to throw components at the problem
A while back the girl who does Two Wheels and a Ponytail on Youtube had some problem with her Husky Nuda...the workshop was just replacing electronic parts at random and at vast expense. I was almost in 'shout at the computer mode' watching her getting fleeced. When the problem was found (can't remember the details), it was nothing to do with any of the parts they had replaced. All action and no thought.
Steele, having had such an eclectic collection of bikes, is probably better qualified as a motorcycle mechanic than most 'dealer-trained' technicians.
If I were him, I'd find a nice DR350S with a big tank. Maybe refurb the suspension, and smile! If his old man is short of leg, get a Beta Alp 4.0 for him (same engine, lower seat).
Biggest mistake I ever made in motorcycling was getting rid of my DR350S for an 'exotic' Italian.
adventure steele

Thanks Richard and Johnny massive help as always and great info. Actually had a longer reply typed out but my phone crashed lol.

With how time sensitive everything is with house hunting for move and not having a car the problems with the Himalayan are boxing me into a bit of a corner tbh which was the reason for previously going for the gs if it hadn't been for the weight.

Today we actually got a look at the T7 I was really impressed with it. The lack of weight in it for what it was is really noticeable an I think it'd be just the ticket loved the seating position.

Unfortunately I gave my dad the equity from my gs to help out so that's out for now.

The other modern choice is the Crf300 rally we got a sit on a 250 with yss suspension today and suprisingly dad was OK if he got on an just put his rh foot on the footrest an not on the deck which is good if it was a normal suspension 300 or a rr -40mm one.

Last choice is a dr350 or tenere 600 once we've moved to sit alongside a modern bike which I can see coming in at some point the insurance quotes ruled out a import dr650 for me infortunatley.

Should be an interesting next week.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

If you like the Tenere, have a look at the Aprilia Tuareg...similar sort of thing, but carries the weight a lot lower.
What put me off the T7 was the thought of all that fuel sloshing about right at the top of the bike. They subsequently went 'back to the future' with KTM 950-style twin tanks...and Ducati has done the same with the Desert-X
Anyway, as seen in another thread, I decided to stick with what I've got...but there's also the BMW F800GS to consider...in yet another thread I questioned whether it was actually not better (on paper at least) than either the Yam or the Aprilia.
I didn't investigate further because so few were actually on sale and the prices seemed sky-high...which just strengthens my thinking that it's actually a seriously under-rated machine...and a genuine adventure bike. You'd just need to find a 'right' one.
johnnyboxer

Royal Enfield Himalayan - The Adventure Begins

Post by johnnyboxer »

adventure steele wrote:Thanks Richard and Johnny massive help as always and great info. Actually had a longer reply typed out but my phone crashed lol.

With how time sensitive everything is with house hunting for move and not having a car the problems with the Himalayan are boxing me into a bit of a corner tbh which was the reason for previously going for the gs if it hadn't been for the weight.

Today we actually got a look at the T7 I was really impressed with it. The lack of weight in it for what it was is really noticeable an I think it'd be just the ticket loved the seating position.

Unfortunately I gave my dad the equity from my gs to help out so that's out for now.

The other modern choice is the Crf300 rally we got a sit on a 250 with yss suspension today and suprisingly dad was OK if he got on an just put his rh foot on the footrest an not on the deck which is good if it was a normal suspension 300 or a rr -40mm one.

Last choice is a dr350 or tenere 600 once we've moved to sit alongside a modern bike which I can see coming in at some point the insurance quotes ruled out a import dr650 for me infortunatley.

Should be an interesting next week.
Glad you liked the Tenere 700, they weigh only 10-15 kg more than the Himalayan fuelled and have 3x the power
Plus you have the advantage of being Japanese bikes
Like CRF - the T700 aftermarket sector is nearly limitless
As for the Apriliia I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole, it’s already being discounted as sales seem slow (whereas the Tenere 700 out sells it) and it’s Italian with its foibles - sorry not for me, too much reliance on electronics in comparison to the Tenere

With money we don't have

Return to “WE LOVE PICS”