Crf 300 Rally - The Adventure Begins

Post up pics of you and your bike. A place for members to get all arty farty, creative and, er, post up snaps.
Godspeed

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - The Adventure Begins

Post by Godspeed »

I didn’t watch all your video, but do you still maintain that this is one of the greatest bikes you’ve owned like you said in earlier videos?
I’m not saying you can’t change your mind 🤪 we all do, else we’d only ever have one bike and that would be very sad.
👍
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
adventure steele

Post by adventure steele »

Himalayan refunded
Last edited by adventure steele on Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

What I don't stand by though is poor PDI work and reliability / components being penny pinched on minor components that could have major ramifications which should be recalls.

Absolutely 👍
The Meandering Moustache

Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

If a dealer is used to Japanese bikes only, then they probably won't understand the importance of a PDI on an Indian bike.

I'm sure RE has improved quality over the years, but the original Bullets were delivered as a crateful of poorly-assembled and not-very-well finished parts.
adventure steele

Himalayan refunded
Last edited by adventure steele on Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

adventure steele wrote:That's a very good point Richard I got mine from a BMW dealer who's recently started doing Enfields it looks to me like they didn't bother with PDI'ing it as all the issues relate back to that.

Apart from the headlight and the brake light switch which they both missed I just thought it'd be good to do another video showing the issues we've come across so far as I can only speak from my personal experience when commenting but it's a real shame as its great to have something that feels solid without alot of plastic etc but then on the flip side you can see where even now they are skimping an penny pinching one components or issues that really should be a recall.

These companies should be making sure they are right as the Himmy is close to its 7th year shouldn't be things like that going on if they are trying to compete with the Japanese bikes.

I'm very much finding out as I go along as you don't know what's Internet chatter or issues. Unfortunately I'm finding out there are a few issues I do hope it does calm down now it's more frustrating than anything but there could have been serious consequences.

From my own personal perspective my plan was to get the 450 next year but I won't be doing that now as the proof is in the pudding so to speak.

At the moment with the lack of parts availability the fact you can't buy a service manual and sketchy reliability from my own perspective I could just be running a more classic bike like a tenere 600 or a r80 g/s or the such but we shall see.

It's nothing I can't spanner on and work on myself it's just irritating not being able to get the up to date service manual as there's differences to the fuel injection an ecu etc.

Very much feels as though they are selling them at a price point then trying to tie people into dealer servicing at a very short interval once I've got the free time instead of sorting the house move I'll be back to circa 1000-2000 mile weeks on the career break so it's very much a case of having to do my own maintinence an not being able to get the Euro 5 service manual suprised me.

It's giving dad a bit of pause over what to get.

I hope it works out as its really brilliant to ride but thought it important to report the bad as well as the good.
You should have bought a CRF 300L as some people told you & been done with it
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

When the KTM 790 Adv first came out, there were well-documented issues with the wheels collapsing.
Turns out they were made in India. I expect the wheel factory was just used to assembling rims, spokes and hubs in the correct pattern (which is probably all they were paid to do) and leaving it to the motorcycle factory or the dealer to actually finish truing the wheel.
Talk to anyone who worked in the service department of a BL Cars dealer in the 1970s, and they'll tell you the same...it wasn't unusual to find the back seat had just been thrown into the car as it wizzed down the line, in the hope the dealer would put it all together properly before the customer saw it.
There were similar horror-stories about the Land Rover Defender right up to the point they stopped making it.
adventure steele

Himalayan refunded
Last edited by adventure steele on Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

I'd just stand back and take a breath.

You bought the bike. You liked the bike. You've had problems with the bike. The problems are hopefully fixed. Ride it until your judgement clarifies.

I love the Himalayan but as all the forums will tell you, you have to walk into it with your eyes open. There's gonna be a niggle or two. Or three for that matter! I agree that's harder to swallow now the bike's up for £5k. At £4k it was just one of those things.

My experience of the 350 and 650 bikes is that they are pretty much Jap quality. A huge improvement over the Himalayan, which was the stepping stone bike from old Bullet builders to modern era big global players. The 450 I think will have a lot less blemishes than first Himalayan. And 40bhp.

But yeah, I'd just ride the bike some more and if you think it's not good then sell it on and try the CRF, or that new Voge 300 Rally for £3799.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Wish we got the range that even places like the US get, so many small cc bikes like the XR150L and the CT125. Why don’t they do the same bikes each side of the pond? Do they think they won’t sell here?
52049352-47A7-4046-B4C9-0A8D1FE97C2C.jpeg
52049352-47A7-4046-B4C9-0A8D1FE97C2C.jpeg (70.16 KiB) Viewed 536 times
The Meandering Moustache

Return to “WE LOVE PICS”