Crf 300 Rally - The Adventure Begins

Post up pics of you and your bike. A place for members to get all arty farty, creative and, er, post up snaps.
garyboy

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - The Adventure Begins

Post by garyboy »

I still had my DR350 up till 7 years ago and there was no trouble getting parts (Thunderroad, bridgend) .. yes I miss the bike, mostly the mud pluggin engine and comfy seat. Even as a pathetic trail rider, I would still pass trf riders flailing at the sides of stony nadgery hills, lol. The characteristics of that engine plus the MT21 tyres, seemed to give advantage over the exotic lightweight trf machines, lol. .. loved that.
I sold it because i had to move home, and had too many bikes, and because the other stuff on the bike .. you know .. forks, shock, etc were well worn and would have cost a fortune to upgrade, plus the seat was far too tall far me.

my first real bike was a RE Crusader, great but too slow lol, but i later had a RE gold star or something ( I remember it was H reg).. best bike i ever rode, slow but beautifully torquey and rode really well. but it never felt reliable and of course, leaked oil (Royal Oil Leak). Hopefully the Himalayan will be great fun despite it being made in a third world country?? (have I got that right?). It is never going to compare with the sophistication of a Japanese or Euro bike? Let's hope that simplicity comes with reliability .. certainly looks a nice bike.
adventure steele

Post by adventure steele »

Himalayan refunded
Last edited by adventure steele on Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

When I put bar risers on my nc I used 50+mm risers to make any difference, but when I raised my Emtb bars using the old stem, I could only do 10mm as a temporary measure, but that made a surprising difference to the ergonomics. But the himmy is already pretty good by the looks of it.

I don't use pressure washers due to reports on decals and bearings, but find my local water pressure is fine through the hose.
People use exhaust plugs, a thorough wash with cold water [less penetration to bearings and chains etc] , a leaf blower to dry the bike, then a fine coating of whatever.
I usually rely on and pray for a drying wind on the way home lol, and if the bike is lucky, a spray of wd40. Unfortunately, this poor maintenance is leaving poor nc rusty and seized lol.
Must alter my ways!! Just waiting for a good dry not cold maintenance day lol

BTW..
Have you considered the Honda NC750X.. low power, longer stroke 4T. with optional dct [semi automatic] .. some seem to use it off road, but I am dubious about that? But your dad may like it. Very reliable very economical very comfy once seat and bars are sorted,.. poor suspension though as its a budget bike.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

O .. domestios 'x' for cleaning exhausts and also Mr sheen is well thought of.( wd40 attracts dust.)

A lot of riders like that clear grease stuff for chains , but I like a loose chain oil like silkolene as it rides the dirt off more that sticking it on. Never got on with a chain oiler.though.. a silicon spray is great for plastics etc, but can be very dangerous if inhaled.
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

I wouldn't worry about that exhaust. Looks a perfectly normal discolouring for the Himalayan. It'll go like that quickly but not get any worse. Just a bit of patina, especially the hand painted dobs of rust prevention on the rivets along the bottom side of the end can. I think they call it character.
adventure steele

Himalayan refunded
Last edited by adventure steele on Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adventure steele

Himalayan refunded
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

I’m glad you’re having fun on the Himalayan being a smaller capacity machine…..

Imagine what a blast it would be on an Innova 125 :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
adventure steele

Yep! That's a good point mate :) the 1927 Norton 16h flat tankers only got 4.9hp an 252lbs 96 year old an its very quick with it.
adventure steele

Himalayan refunded

Return to “WE LOVE PICS”