Crf 300 Rally - The Adventure Begins

Post up pics of you and your bike. A place for members to get all arty farty, creative and, er, post up snaps.
adventure steele

Re: Crf 300 Rally - The Adventure Begins

Post by adventure steele »

Cheers Hugh :) ill check those out.

Here's the video from last week's ride to Llanberis there wasn't much of a plan apart from getting the 300 miles done in one day. Mix of country roads, Llanberis Pass in both directions one to music unfortunately thanks to my gopro audio not working then the other talking and riding while chatting about the Honda 300 Rally.

Recorded riding through Bala, Ruffin, Betws-y-Coed etc and I rode back on the motorway an did a few overtakes so everyone can judge what that's like on uk motorways with our smart motorway system.

Hope you all enjoy the ramblings she will be having her first service on Saturday then it's back to hunting a few green lanes out been studying technique all week so looking forward to putting it into practice.

Before that though will be some road trips up on the borders and Dumfries an Galloway house hunting.

Overall really impressed with the bike, greenlaning on Houndkirk Moor, A 300 mile road ride to Llanberis a roads b roads motorway shes doing it all in her stride. Very content nearly got enough for a rear shock once I've flogged my Nav 6 then I can get the Rally Raid level 1 shock on and get some camping gear for some camping trips.

Exciting times :)
adventure steele

Hi everyone sorry for the lack of updates been a few crazy weeks all over the country as a passenger in dads car as we viewed a few houses good news is we now know that we are moving to either Dumfries an Galloway got a few areas picked out or Perthshire near Pitlochry / Blairgowrie going up there next week for a look at a few houses an more areas

Excited for that itl mean green laning will be weekend trips and on trips abroad which the Rally will be perfect for so happy overall that I've got the extra wind protection with the Rally for road touring in Scotland.

very very exciting day today the Honda CRF 300 Rally @rallyraidproducts Level 1 rear shock and -20mm side stand.

Super excited to give her the first test ride on the new shock the quality difference between the two shocks is clear to see and I've hit my sag measurements on it which is great nice that it's no longer a pogo stick to get on happy days :)

looking forward to taking some green lanes in at some point an some road riding. Very close to going back up to Scotland with dad to view some houses so itl have to wait for now exciting times though!

Big thanks to Adam and John for all the help question wise an advice on my purchase :) always like spending my money with the good British companies.

Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I was worried for a moment...thought you might have sold it!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Don't think there's any green lanes in Scotland?
adventure steele

lol Richard.

Yep no greenlanes mate will be riding down to the lakes and Northumberland to go to the green lanes for weekends down there in some ways it'l keep it fresh and interesting. It's never gonna be the main focus of my riding a I enjoy covering long distances :) Will be good getting down there for practice though after the move before the Iceland an Norway trip.
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

No worries. I've been keeping one eye on some of your contributions on other forums so I know you're still active.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
adventure steele

Thanks mate usually try put something up on insta as to what I've been up to :) always good to keep in touch with everyone.

Really looking forward to getting some miles on the shock out when I'm back from Pitlochry and Perthshire house hunting.

Hopefully I'll be able to take the gopro out an do some road miles and some green lanes to got a few planned.
adventure steele

Rally Raid Level 1 Rear suspension Just wow!

Bit of an overall update for anyone that's been following my Stuff on the CRF 300 Rally.

Just got back from doing 3/4 of Macclesfield old Road from Macc then that in reverse then Sir William Hill Road in full was so much fun on that! Absolutely transformed the bike an I can confirm if you need to paddle its still easy to do :) Was really nice stood up as well and very confidence inspiring best I've rode on a green lane. Thanks to everyone that let on the two peeps on Ktms an the two 4x4s who were great with advice on Macc old Road.

On a few bits where I had to sit down that's where you notice the difference the most as it's not booting you all over the place.

A huge difference though as well is on the road transformed it no more squatting now handles as it should brakes well, goes well and handles well noticed the difference right away when I set off.

I've not been brilliant over the past few days with a food allergy issue so was nice to get out even if just for an hour or so.
Should have a new video coming providing the gopro played ball :)

Kudos the team at Rally Raid stunning work!

It really is how the bike should have been from Honda. Very happy with the money I spent on it.

In other news it looks like I'm gonna be moving to either highland Perthshire up in Scotland around Blairgowrie ish or a bit more North or near Dumfries and Galloway (thornhill ish) so something may end up joining the Rally now my shoulder is better :) just trying to decide between the two areas.

The Rally will be staying for trips to trickier bits an for Iceland but the nearest green lanes will be a good 5-6 hours away depending on which bit we end up in so thatl probably lean towards bringing a t7 in as planned or a Vstrom 650xt again or a GS mainly just for road use up there. Then keep the Rally for the odd weekend away to England.

The only thing that slightly worries me with the T7 is the exhaust bracket anyone experienced one breaking?

All being well we will have alot more space so the Rally can stay to an we can pick dad one of each up as he's bikeless at the moment. Gonna be an interesting few months and very full on with the move.

We did about 4,000 miles up Scotland in dads car exploring so it's good to know where we are looking now for the next steps in life.

Just the current thoughts really Rally is really ticking the boxes for a lightweight all roads bike :) happy days.

It's a shame though Yamaha havnt got a Tenere 300 or 500 twin that'd be interesting to see.

Was interesting green laning though still not sure what I quite make of it, the 2nd lane I really enjoyed the first I wasn't to mad on. Probably helped as well that I'd stuck some road miles on by the time I got to the 2nd lane as the bike was drastically different light and day in a better way.

Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

There is supposed to be a new Fantic Cabellero with a T7 engine on the cards.

The exhaust bracket might not be an issue if you fit a pannier rack...but it is the case that a fall on th silencer can bend not just the bracket, but the sub-frame...which is integral to the frame and apparently can't be replaced.

It sounds stupid, but to be fair not as stupid as KTM bolting the sidestand to the engine on the big v-twins...fall over to the left and the stand can crack the crankcase and write off the engine (a relocation bracket has been on mine for decades).
adventure steele

Cheers Richard it caught my eye that the bike press had mentioned it in MSL the other day with the T7 exhaust an the frame, it always surprises me how they manage to screw up on the most basic of things even one of the guys in the Yam shop was really surprised by it. It almost strikes as a prevention being better than the cure like with the KTM sidesands.

The footage from todays been uploading since I got back so hopefully it should be up soon. The rally is certainly going to have it's place though for stuff like the ACT and TET really agree with Nathans latest video but for the touring up Scotland when that's gonna be the majority of the riding a nice twin will be good I think.

Just a shame Yam don't have a T300 twin.

I reckon most likely it'll be something like a V-Strom 650 XT again loved that bike think it'd compliment the Rally quite nice. I don't really wanna jump back into the BMW Dealer ecosystem and mery go round of extended warranties. An old R80 is an itch I'd like to scratch at some point or an 1150 the good thing is the shoulders miles better now so should be able to handle a bike like that on the road again an the Rally for trips to England for green laning from Scotland an for trips abroad if going Iceland etc.

Return to “WE LOVE PICS”