Crf 300 Rally - The Adventure Begins

Post up pics of you and your bike. A place for members to get all arty farty, creative and, er, post up snaps.
adventure steele

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - The Adventure Begins

Post by adventure steele »

Speaking off the f800gs I actually had a 2015 one I'll dig a picture out in the morning :) great looking bike the feeling from the rear tank took a little getting used to wind management was actually something that would give me a migraine, ended up working out that I could retrofit the support from the f800gsa for the screen with a bit of trimming off half of the side strikers and it looked factory done fitted a puig touring screen to it for the gsa looked aggressive that had a penchant for eating stators n head bearings unfortunately. Interesting bike though I did Scotland an back in a day on it. The power delivery was quite flat though looking back now though it was a decent option.

I actually started road riding on an Aprillia rs 125 2t still got it as its next to my bed lol

Great bikes but the parts availability nightmare especially on the summer when everything shuts down not sure if it's changed now.

Hi everyone just to update the Himalayan is going back under rejection for a refund. So the natural thought was the Honda CRF 300 Rally from a reliability point of view, which I was lucky enough to source one today which dependant when the Himalayan gets collected I should have towards the end of next week or the week after.

So kudos to the dealer that understood my point of view and did the right thing an will get my custom when we look at T7's later in the year.

The plan is to run the CRF 300 Rally till winter and if it ticks all the boxes brilliant then towards the end of the year I'm gonna look at buying one T7 in along side it so dad and I can compare which to keep and what to let go so yep thats the plan.

We've also decided with the modern bikes we are gonna stick with the Japanese stuff as our two experiences of the Indian built bikes have been plauged with reliability issues 2x 390s that didn't make it to the first service service the Himalayan it's a shame as the Himmy was brilliant to ride and let's hope they sort the issues for the 450. It's a shame because it was brilliant to ride if it hadn't been for build quality and reliability.

Adv bike wise now since 2015 this is the history

R1200gsa te, (kept for 3 years an sold circa 30k) (lunched 3 engines after a dealer screw up an fd an a gearbox first day I had it the display went pop oh and esa issues and a snatchy throttle plauged it)

vstrom 1000xt felt like riding my blade but with upright bars (was really thirsty on fuel),

f800gs very bad wind management see post above for my height an loved eating headbearings, was nice though but didn't quite like the engine an super soft front end.

vstrom 650xt favourite so far sold to try lighter bikes out ticked all the boxes for my road adv riding very underrated,

390 adv x2 rejected 147 and 269 miles mine an dads due to issues with the displays and multiple other problems.

R1200gs 2018 te Rallye sold due to weight with my shoulder. Didn't have long enough to assess reliability had moved the game on from my 2014 though especially with the surging.

Himmy going back under rejection at 500 miles.

For anyone interested here's the over all history and experience since 2008 bike wise which is pretty eclectic

Last edited by adventure steele on Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
minkyhead

Re: Crf 300 Rally - The Adventure Begins

Post by minkyhead »

crimes its hard to keep up with thee lad
:D

running a book on this one ...only giving evens on six weeks :o

good luck with the mighty rally 8-)
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Blimey, never thought my advice would be heeded. Even thought I was being a bit brutal .. but I'm sure you will see sunshine with your new brand.
dave h

Post by dave h »

adventure steele

Thanks everyone yep I've owned my fireblade since 2010 an its taken on everything I've thrown at it iom trips winter rides etc, this things happen an there can always be that one Friday bike with any brand.

I'll always listen to advice an take it on board :) especially when valid.

So it was time for something reliable Honda Yam or Suzuki were the first choice and credit where credits due the supplying dealer understood the issues that had been caused and what was happening so are taking it back and refunding me. So a hat tip to them, an when / if it comes time for a T7 for dad and I they will get my repeat business. If they hadn't done that I would have been screwed for funding an equivalent bike so least I can get back on track with the plans for this year with the Rally, already shopping for a few bits :lol: nav mount from Rally Raid and just looking into frame protectors.

Really looking forward to getting it an just getting out and doing some 6 hour + rides up an around Scotland an Down to Cornwall I know the off road capability is proven and a given once I do the shock so the main focus on seeing if I jell with it will be from the road point of view I watched Ian at big rock moto on YouTubes videos and the roll on performance looks more than enough for me an what I need.

Oh an im looking forward to it sipping fuel lol :)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

As far as road performance and use, I found, on my 250 Rally, that the tyres, IRC, are actually very good, and, assuming your leg length is suited, you won't need to do any modding purely for tarmac and light hardback.

Best Wishes.
adventure steele

Cheers mate good to know :)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Assuming you are fairly light in weight, you can assess the 300 in tarmac use, and very light trails. [You could even reject the bike, based on this, with no mods to reverse.]

I was talking to a slim short guy last week, and he does just that (no mods, with just road and light tracks), and does not plan any changes to his new crf300Rally, except lowering link. [He already has a D606 on the rear and I suggested MT 21 for the front, as this seems to be the accepted 'standard'.]

But that is missing the whole point of the crf .. on road it is just about acceptable as a low powered road bike, frugal and easy to ride, .. and more or less the same for most light trails.

It can do both. Reasonably. That's the whole point. A dual sport.

You shouldn't judge this dual sport on just one of its aspects, as I'm sure you know.

But, as you know, you would need to modify the crf 300 for reasonable trail use, as has been documented ad infinitum.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

1. Road use .......... fair to average.

2. Trail use ............. fair to average. [with trail mods].

3. Both Trail + Road ....... Excellent. [with trail mods].
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

pretty sure you will deffo need to address the seat for longer days its not the best ..simple aircushion and velcro is my solution ...very effective ..performance wise its much the same as a himilayan just a very different way of getting there
i did a review when the covid lock down was on just for somthing to do tbo ...
all i do is plan my trips around the pretty routes but now and again you have to put a shift in and as long as you accept 70mph is where its at it passes a lot easier than you think ..lakes trails are only 70miles away and a hour on the m6 job done ..
some of the comments are around the cbr 300 motor so you can disregard some of them ...i can say that near three years on from that review ive had to rplace a fork seal ..other than that its been bomb proof ..it a bt scuffed up but nothings failed or broken it still rides surprisigly well ..if the worse ever happens ill stck another motor in it and go again ...cheap fun for sure ..

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “WE LOVE PICS”