1967 Norton 650SS daily rider :)

Post up pics of you and your bike. A place for members to get all arty farty, creative and, er, post up snaps.
daveuprite

Re: A tale of two motorcycles 1967 Norton 650SS and T100 Bonneville

Post by daveuprite »

adventure steele wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:53 am Thanks mate I see lots of people talking about the modern retro and which is best but I don't see alot who have actually used a period one 365 days a year :)

Yep it really needs twin disks to haul it down the t100. The feel on a drum brake is so direct in comparison.

So I thought it'd be interesting to compare a bit but obviously we are all different with different riding styles so what suits one might not suit another.

So what Norton to buy.

I'd say in that range and if you fancied a Norton a 750 69 on Commando with the frame update pre 71 they have the drum brake still which looks really period, can get everything from them from Andover Norton, Norvil and RGM. Even performance stuff from NYC Norton.

Gives you the smoothness for long distance riding an they sound terrific,

If you didn't mind some vibes you could get a good 650ss at 8k again pretty much everything is available apart from original mudguards but there's some decent repop ones available through Norton owners club steel tank to unlike the fibreglass ones on some of the Commandos.

Personally I like both for different reasons hence having the pair, I'd do plenty of reading up of what people think of them.

My 650ss is magneto the Commando electronic ignition.

The best mod you can do is a new oil pump and a set of Premier Concentrics on the Commando or new Monoblocs or prems dependant on the year of 650ss.

Handling wise the 650ss out handles the Commando but the Commando feels more modern typical Norton being far ahead of the times.

Best mod on the 650ss is the 2ls brake from the Commando

If the bike is stood for more than a month they can wet sump, if you see an oil tap in my opinion walk away, all you have to do is undo the bottom drain nut drop the oil an put it back in the tank takes all of 5 mins, regular use you never have the issue, leaving it on compression helps as well.

If you want to pop me a pm I can give you my mobile number :) alot more advice I can give that I've picked up over the years.

The 650ss is probably the rarer of the bikes being the sports special.

The Commandos came in a few different trim styles, fastback, roadster, interstate the 750 Commando is more sporting than the 850.
Thanks a lot - loads of detail for now. I do quite fancy a good classic, but it would take something pretty good to stop me from just buying a Guzzi LM2 or a Laverda at the last minute. For a start i would have to adjust my mindset I think.

I see period AJS bikes going a bit more cheaply on the whole - is there a reason for that? BSAs always look a bit spindly to me. You want your 60s brit to be solid looking IMO, and it must sound good.

You can tell I'm a total novice in this area. I can give you the frame codes for every R6 they ever made but I know next to nothing about these :D
adventure steele

Post by adventure steele »

It's probably like trying to compare a himalayan to a R1 of the day ajs vs Norton they did make some sporting models though I'm just not familiar with them at all :) as Nortons are more my thing. Different bikes for different tasks though

I guess really it's a case of passion in a way running an older bike as a regular rider It wouldn't bother me rebuilding her if she needed it or spending a day fettling all part of the fun :)

Also be prepared for the hour long chats which are all part of the fun to.

Dommie 88 an 99s are probably not a bad shout either I know a few lads that love those.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

It is great to see an old bike in regular use, far too many are in private collections and rarely see the sun, let alone rain. I still reckon my 59 Model 50 is the best bike I have ever commuted on in the snow. Hopefully it will be back on the road soon. If I was buying a retro I would have a good look at modern Enfields. The Interceptor is in many ways superior to the Hinckley/Malaysian Bonnie's. If I was getting an older classic to use I would be tempted by a 500. A Dommie 500, Tiger 500 or BSA A7 would be cheaper than a larger bike and for most people just as good.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

adventure steele wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:25 pm It's probably like trying to compare a himalayan to a R1 of the day ajs vs Norton
Really? Wow. Didn't realise that. You're talking my language - I can relate to that measure of difference.

A Commando makes what? - 60bhp? And what at the rear wheel? And weighs what? 180kg?

I suppose that's acceptable for a back lanes road bike but not sure I can get too excited about it.

As I said, I would have to adjust my mindset... :lol:
adventure steele

Thanks Jak she's gets used every day pretty much just got back from the shops on her with my rucksack, I totally agree they deserve to be used an ridden as they were designed once the 1944 wd16h is running I'll be using that constantly with her 13hp. It's all relative in a way once I've been on my 16h if I was to jump on a himmy it would seem quick with double the hp.

Going back to what I said about ajs vs Norton being himmy vs r1 it all depends on the model really all the marques had different models in the range. Before anyone AJS lads linch me haha.

As Jak says Dave the 500 twins are well worth a look for sure am I right in saying the 500 twins are quite smooth Jak? I've not ridden one yet :)

That model 50 sounds awesome Jak, I've been really getting into my singles now, can't wait to get a Pre War Inter once the Rd350lc and Rd250lc are sold been working on those today.

Trust me they sure do shift the Commando 0-60 on a 1969 760 is 5.6 seconds not to be sniffed at really. I never find the 650ss lacking in performance at legal speeds and I ride with superbikes.

I agree regarding the modern Enfields I keep hearing great things about the twins, I wanted a 360° twin hence me getting the 2010 :)
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Most of the British 500 twins tend to be over engineered in a sense, they were designed as 500s and stretched and stretched. Some of the later Bonnies (81 and on) had dynamically balanced cranks and slightly bigger main bearings which smoothed them out a bit. Still the smoothest Triumph twin I’ve ridden is my Tiger 90.
Speed really is relative, some modern bikes with their smooth motors and efficient fairings do not really give you any sensation of speed until you are well over the legal limit. I would always rather ride a slow bike quickly than a fast one slowly. I enjoy passing sports bikes on my Himalayan and even occasionally on the Norton. The art to riding the Norton is getting it up to 50 ish and keeping it there by looking well ahead and judging the road and traffic before you get to it.
I think the older I get the older the bikes I desire. I really fancy a late twenties or early thirties machine. I rode some, and earlier machines on one of the VMCC’s taster days and thoroughly enjoyed them.
adventure steele

That's ace Jak a himmy is my next modern bike I think :) my dads really taken with the T100 so letting him use it, I agree all about enjoying the corners on a Norton that's for sure
I totally agree I enjoy bikes that are engaging at 50mph had fireblades etc and get the most enjoyment on the Nortons.

It's funny you should say that once my 250lc an 350lc are gone I'm hoping to get a pre war Inter let a few other Japanese classics go recent to help fund it I'd love a 20s bike as well they seem really fun something about going older and older bike wise the experience becomes so pure :)

I've yet to have a classic Triumph something else on the list one day maybe even a classic t100c
Magnon

Post by Magnon »

Great thread AS, the 650ss looks like a great bike, interesting to see that even in 1967 Norton were still on magneto ignition and monobloc carbs when Triumph and BSA had moved on to coil ignition and concentrics about 5 or 6 years earlier. My 1954 BSA A10 has a magneto - sometimes I love it, sometimes I don’t!

I tend to take the view that a bikes age is immaterial, if it was capable of touring Europe when it was new it will still be able to do it today. Obviously these days riders expect much less involvement with the mechanics and tend to scream ‘warranty claim’ at the supplying dealer when things go wrong but with the right approach a lot more fun can be had travelling with an older machine that you have prepared/rebuilt yourself. My current tourer is only 31 and built by Germans so doesn’t have a magneto but we happily travel all over Europe without issues. Would possibly use the BSA but wifey needs a more comfy seat - progress eh!
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Only the isolastic shafts left in place holding the engine/gearbox to the 'old' frame, then the rebuild will start with the new frame. All parts removed have been cleaned and serviced with new bearings, seals and fluids.

Service/supply of parts from Andover Norton has been excellent and so easy online.

TTFN

Hugh.
IMG_20210428_184237#1.jpg
IMG_20210428_184237#1.jpg (201.48 KiB) Viewed 3090 times
adventure steele

For those interested :) here's the video from the ride been out every day on her again this week for a splash about.

(Ignore the lockdown hair got that cut yesterday)

Yep I wouldn't hesitate to take the 650ss anywhere the Major advantage being if anything slightly goes wrong it's an easy fix and indeed it's interesting isn't it.

I actually love the magneto on it, it's great that it's independent to all the other electrics so if anything goes wrong with the wiring system you can still get home, an points are so easy to work on to I really was born in the wrong generation haha! Did you know theate great Paul Dunstall actually preferred the Monoblocs which suprised me when reading his tuning manual, now I've got used to them setup wise I really like the feel she's a first kick starter to. I'm planning on using my 68 Commando all over as long distance tourer very excited to get her finished.

Tony Cooper did my mag on my ww2 Norton well worth speaking to if you are having any grief with it.

Bsa sounds good mate! I've not had a Beezer yet.

Your Commando is looking good Hugh.

I'm hoping to get either a mid 30s Rigid Inter or a pre 1928 model 18 Norton once my 350lc an 250lc are sold my big gsx went a few weeks back once I get one of those I'm hoping to do some decent trips on them to.

Return to “WE LOVE PICS”