Big Bike Trip to Wiltshire.

Post up pics of you and your bike. A place for members to get all arty farty, creative and, er, post up snaps.
Pint Master

Big Bike Trip to Wiltshire.

Post by Pint Master »

ImageIMG_0458 by Tony Lacey, on Flickr

Mike Irving and Richard Simpson near Devizes
ImageIMG_0469 by Tony Lacey, on Flickr

Was Very Windy atop of that lane.ImageIMG_0448 by Tony Lacey, on Flickr

Richard takes a Tumble.
ImageIMG_0453 by Tony Lacey, on Flickr

Mike has a Closer Look at the Hedge.ImageIMG_0476 by Tony Lacey, on Flickr

I always feel its important to get the photo before offering assistance.ImageIMG_0446 by Tony Lacey, on Flickr

Did I keep the 790 shiny side up? the rule is if there isn't a photo it didn't happen.
Last edited by Pint Master on Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boboneleg

Re: Big Bike Trip to Wilshire.

Post by boboneleg »

Those ruts must've been so much fun on the big bikes :mrgreen:

Well done to all involved.
one-legged adventurer
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I know that byeway.. Long and rutted with nice slippy grass... Your glad you didn't venture over to the monument as that's hell of a rutted lane and needs proper knobblys not road tyres....

Richard does like a lie down a. Lot lol...
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Big Bike Trip to Wiltshire.

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

First time trail riding on the 950 since Garyboy and I rode some of those same lanes way back when.

There were some very tasty blackberries in that hedge on the Ox Drove!
Richard Simpson Mark II

Tramp wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:31 pm I know that byeway.. Long and rutted with nice slippy grass... Your glad you didn't venture over to the monument as that's hell of a rutted lane and needs proper knobblys not road tyres....

Richard does like a lie down a. Lot lol...
We did wonder about taking that route, but the ruts looked pretty deep even from the top of the hill.

I can't say if Tony fell off or not, as I was in front of him most of the time, doing old-skool navigation with 20-year-old OS map and compass. But I can confirm that he was parked on top of a hill at the blocked-off entrance to the Ridgeway, when I saw a cheeky Zephyr of wind physically lift he and his bike up and deposit them on the other side of the lane. I can't say that he 'fell' because the movement was more in an upwards direction, initially at least.
Richard Simpson Mark II

P8210310.JPG
P8210310.JPG (106.89 KiB) Viewed 2966 times
No more pics from me, I'm afraid...we did more riding than photography for sure
Richard Simpson Mark II

Day one somewhat curtailed because the Old Marlborough Road (a rather spooky track on the edge of the Salisbury Plain Training Areas, which used to be the stagecoach route between Marlborough and Salisbury) was unexpectedly closed by the army, so we diverted via The English Heritage Druid Experience Theme Park and Gift Shop at Stonehenge (no we didn't call in) to pick up a byway to Wilton, and thence along the Old Shaston Drove to Shaftesbury for a socially distanced lunch on a filling station forecourt..
Then off to Calne, and up Zig-Zag Hill to Tollard Royal, where there is a byway going up through the woods to the start of the Ox Drove. Which got progressively worse as we went along east (overgrown, and not had an opportunity to dry out this Summer), so I made an executive decision to leave at a road crossing and drop down into the Chalke Valley...and take delightful ride back to Wilton on tarmac and then Devizes.
Next day, we explored north of Devizes, including part of the Wansdike Path. Got up to the Ridgeway, which is 'temporarily' closed to motor vehicles (the council ploughed up the bits where it crosses the main roads to stop people 'dogging' then presented the resultant ruts and mire as 'damage caused by recreational 4x4s' then banned motorcycles for 12 months to put right the damage the council had caused in the first place). Also passed through Avebury, and by Silbury Hill and various white horses.Then found a lovely lane through a wood near Marlborough, tried and failed to find a continuance on the Wansdike Path byway (we later worked out where it was, but it wasn't suitable for big trail bikes), but rode the bit of the Wansdike we started off on but in the opposite direction.
Then I rode home into the teeth of the gale, but didn't get rained on. Lots of holiday traffic on the A303 in both directions, which I suppose is a good thing.
Anyway, it was a pleasant couple of days on the trail...about 180 miles covered, plus the journey there and back. No silly confrontations with anyone over whether or not we should be there, but friendly dog-walkers, horse riders and farmers. Not a Rambler to be seen, and all 3 of us old gits were unscathed.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

some iconic names of places there, Richard ... a few of which i was privileged to ride with your leadership, a while back 8-)

Perhaps i will be able to get a small/medium trail bike next year to do some of those places? ... certainly sounds a fab route :D
Richard Simpson Mark II

That would be great, Gary.

I've got to get some miles on my smaller KTM, to see how capable it would be on a longer trip (elderly engine with small oil capacity, little provision for luggage etc)
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Crikey, nearly didn't recognise the Irving with that fuzz on his chin impersonating Shaun the sheep :lol: :lol: :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.

Return to “WE LOVE PICS”