Crf 300 Rally - The Adventure Begins

Post up pics of you and your bike. A place for members to get all arty farty, creative and, er, post up snaps.
adventure steele

Re: Crf 300 Rally - The Adventure Begins

Post by adventure steele »

Cheers mate :) yep its pretty much just an oil change, it's about 60 quid from memory so worth doing the first one to keep the warranty intact after that I'll look after her myself as itl give me a couple of thousand miles to assess it.

Hopefully should have the first 300 done there or there abouts by tomorrow an try do the rest this week if time allows.

Gonna have to do the riding in spits and spats as the buffeting when I'm at speed has made my neck a bit sore this morning, as its hitting me on the chin, gonna have a hunt in my workshop for an old deflector and see if I can find it to try on the screen. Had that on the f800gs an pretty much every other adv joys of being tall haha

All in all though with a few tweaks it's gonna be a good partner for the trips.

I'd also like to add we have decided to buy a harley ultra glide that we are gonna have outfitted with bmw boxes for me as I think it'd be the perfect off road bike an dad has decided he needs a BMW RT as it's essential for the adventure that we have access to a lifetime subscription at Starbucks for the trip.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

2 perfect choices .. the harley vibrations are good vibrations and should help with getting to the top of that famous volcano, through that volcanic ash, as I hear there is now a Starbucks at the top, and that great RT screen could be borrowed for when you use the 300.

PS .. don't forget to try the lava bread :D
adventure steele

Haha yep! :lol:

Today was such a brilliant day on the honda CRF 300 Rally. Went out road riding continuing to run her in with the idea of going to Matlock Bath ended up flicking through adventure_bike_rider guide to green lanes while having some chips at Monyash an decided to give it a go ^_^ ended up on Houndkirk Moor doing the first of it an just through the 2nd gate. Was great seeing so many people out having fun. Gonna go back up it once I've got some better hand guards on.

First Green lane on my CRF 300 Rally. Only my 3rd in my life once was on a 1200gsa te which got stuck 🙃 then unstuck, other was a really easy muddy one on the Himalayan by accident.

This was interesting never ridden on loose rocks before was a learning curve an lots of fun didn't drop her either woop so mission success, next step is to sort the seat and some handguards on.

Quick mobile phone photograph on my old Samsung a70

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

yeah .. metal backed handguards are essential .. saves levers in a drop.
I have the carbon composite bash plate from Chris on here, abr, saves the bottom without exchanging the bottom plastics ... and looks great too. Kardoma? Products.
I don't know why people change the seat as i find it very good ... just too high for shorties like me lol.
Mirrors.. i still got the oems .. but should change them for a set i already have .. or at least one of them (wrong thread on one).
Apart from the suspension, that's all you need to get started. ..... o ... new tyres of course.
I just wish i was a better rider lol.

today, saturday.

Image20230401_172456 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr
adventure steele

Thanks mate, yep I went really steady today for that reason when I was off road, as I was a fair bit from home, gonna get some spare levers to keep in the tool box along an get the bits to convert my Himalayan bark busters took those off when it went back, to fit the Rally.

The seat is absolutely crucifying me to be honest can only manage about 65 miles an I have to stop on it compared to the big miles i used to do on the vstrom 650xt seat an the seat concepts one on the himmy (stock seat was equally as dreadful if not worse) its absolutely solid with 0 give on my 300. Looking forward to ordering a seat concepts one gonna try a comfort xl.

The suspension was also extremely noticable off road, even at my beginner level on green laning. Was cracking fun though hopefully the video should upload over night, an be OK for tomorrow evening. Back out in the morning to continue running it in.

Overall though I could feel exactly what you guys meant about the capability of the 300 compared to the Himalayan as the lane was much tricker to me anyway than the one I did on the Himalayan an the Rally lapped it up was good fun an I learnt alot.

Also filmed a bit at how comically bad it is on the 300 when some guys came up chatting at Monyash, an you can see the lack of dampening when I pushed it down, didn't realise I'd left the camera running, an it got some questions being asked about the 300 which was interesting to listen back to.

Something I'll have to deal with when I start doing more lanes, first though its gotta be the seat :) as I Could have carried on riding today for more than the 100 miles I did if it hadn't been for that.

Getting to that point where I'm really starting to gel with it, one thing I did have with a very strong headwind on an incline on a bypass it was knocking me down to 60 an the engine didn't feel to willing to go past that so naturally I didn't try give it any more beans while I'm running it in shall be interesting to try the same situation once its got the run in miles on an she's loosened up a bit more.

That's pretty much all I can think of at the mo still really content an after doing the lane today its helped convince me it's the right bike was so manageable when I was moving it around to take pictures or to move out of the way of a 4x4 felt like moving a push bike about nice an easy to turn round to.

It's a shame Honda hadn't just stuck with 210mm travel rather than 250 still got acres of clearance but with propper working suspension I bet it'd be even better an you could still get the feet down when needs be.

Certainly leaning towards the Rally Raid level 1 stuff at the moment. Gonna do the seat and handguards and stop there for now though an just get some miles under my belt on an off road on it.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

In my experience ........ Houndkirk Moor is a good lane for medium speed with a wide variety of surfaces from loose sand, whoops, hard edged rocks aswell as lots of loose rocks ......... my Himalayan on standard suspension soon has the front end clattering through the stroke and bottoming out. By contrast a Ktm exc (or similar) has the power to lighten the front end with ease to take the weight off the front end.
Done it a few times 2up on the GS but at a much slower pace ........ The Fox pub was also a favourite overnight stop ;) .
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
adventure steele

Thanks Tonibe really insightful looking forward to going up there again and discovering a few other green lanes that are easy ish in the peaks.

Finally got the video edited from yesterday tried to cover my thoughts on the Honda CRF 300 Rally :) tried to cover my thoughts mainly from a road riding point of view till I had a complete change of plans while eating my chips at the old Smithy in Monyash and flicking through the adventure bike rider guide to green lanes and spotted houndkirk Moor and Did a bit of section 1-2 on the map.

Noticed it said not to do a-b on the map for beginners but that was all numbered would that be 7-8?

It was really fun to give the Honda CRF 300 Rally a go on a green lane and im super looking forward to going on one again. Lots to learn and that's exciting as it's a new challenge, and great to learn as itl open up more possibilities for when we do the trip next year to Iceland Norway an Morocco :) lots to learn.

nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Good update. Glad you're getting on with it okay.

I've been out on mine this weekend with a group.

Bike's completely stock. We've had some tricky climbs and rocks. An unpopular opinion maybe but I think the suspension's fine for soft and moderate terrain and riders. Looking at your level of off road riding I'd say it's probably no bad thing to be able to get the feet down as easily. I know the RR Level 1 retains the original ride height, which is definitely the way to go when you do upgrade, but the bike in its stock guise will ride those trails no problem so I personally don't think there's need to rush the upgrade. Time on the bike riding the trails will give you more benefit than spending money on it. IMO.

Look forward to seeing how you get on with it long term.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

id aggree with nathan it is soft and it is bouncy but it actually damps pretty well and the front is not as bad as some like to state far from it ..and at your level of riding at the moment you will feel zero benifit from a grands worth of suspension work
later on maby when you get a bit faster and bumpier you will have to solve the rear shock as when you start trailing with 25kgms of travel luggage strapped on it will not be great fun for sure
id say well done for having a go got yourself in to 2nd and it is scary when your a long term road rider to feel all the rocks and pebbles and such
i watched your video and just a few givaways ...your hands do not grip well ..u shouldnt be using 4 fingers on the clutch as when it gets bumpy you may well find you loose all contact with handle bar and steep climbs and the like it will conspire to hurt you

id say get some tuition somwhere nathan my know if the big wales school does nocice days /weekends ....dead basic stuff is a real good way to start ..how to grip the bars properly and using the brake and clutch while doing so ..setting the clutch on a finger trap slip point ...standing positions where to and how to angle your feet so your knees work properly with the bike ..setting the controls for optimun use standing /acceping they may be alittle different sitting .. all that sort of thing
we all have to start somwhere and there nothing wrong in that ..id suggest spennding a few hundead quid getting agood basic starter weekend course .... invest in your skills as it really is a lot to do with the rider .. ..a stock crf will motor on reasonbly well and when your used to it you just learn to slow down for certain hits and surfaces ... goin slow or steady over some stuff its actually pretty plush where the rbound doesnt have to work real hard it doe damp ok

this is me old 12 plate crf ...standard forks with a 60 quid spring basic 280 quid yss shock theres some pretty big hits along them tracks when its faster ....and the humble 12plate rides ok ..... pretty level given its a old nail being ridden hard .... :mrgreen:
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
adventure steele

Thanks guys, that's a really good point Nathan had a much much better day today that convinced me on the Rally alot more.

Actually had a far far better day today on it the initial oh no as you say Minky it'd amazing the difference in feel when
you are coming from road riding,when the what's this sensation started to melt away, I really enjoyed myself it's funny you should mention my hands Minky noticed that myself when watching the footage back last night and thought what on earth was I doing with my clutch hand thought my riding was pretty dreadful tbh but thought it might inspire a few others just to have a go and itl be interesting looking back in a few months :) really appreciate all the advice and help you all have given me on the threads over the past few months. I actually remade the same mistake initially a few times but towards the mid way point on the lane I started getting things more correct and noticed with 2nd an a bit of pace rather than being nocked from rock to loose rock an with better body positioning she starting to soak everything up and glide over it.

Everything everyone said about the Crf 300 really makes sense now especially as to how capable it is.

As Nathan said when the time comes it's gonna be the level 1 stuff as at a few really tricky bits today it was brilliant being able to just stop whenever and get a foot down or even both an actually absorbed stuff really nice for my pace which suprised me off road which was interesting coming home then reading what you both said.

I'm tight on funds at the mo so can't afford it anyway but when the time comes I'm thinking shock first till I get more capable so I can carry some luggage.

300 miles on her now 3x 100 mile days back to back the seat though ouch!!! Need to sort that.

Was riding better today just using 1 or 2 fingers on the clutch stood up more after watching a few of Nathan's vids and the brake magazine stuff which really helped.

That's a good point regarding training it's on the list of things to do. Probably get some one on one stuff once the house move is sorted as after the next few weeks it's gonna be operation get the house sold an get moved.

On with the post from today.

Today was a beautiful day out on the Honda CRF 300 Rally after my first go at green laning on the Honda yesterday I really wanted to have another go.

I ended up back on Houndkirk Moor at first I pulled up just for a look at the other end as I was curious where it came out, what was weird was a big pack of bikes came down while I was just taking 5 an walking up the trail a bit and it actually made me a little doubtful of trail riding so I decided to head back to the foxhole end on the road an decided to have a go there as it seemed quieter the other night.

At first I was a bit like am I capable of doing this an I had a few moments of self doubt it's amazing how it can creep up on you and grow and grow isn't it an it's something going a bit further on past the two gates, then all off a sudden things started to click from what I'd been watching on YouTube and I found myself at the viewpoint taking in the breathtaking scenery. An then I decided I'll just do a lil more an then a lil more an a lil more and before I knew it I'd completed my first full green lane. Each time I came across something stopping and thinking about which line to take then tackling it systematicly seemed to work.

It was amazing just how capable the bike was considering the terrain I was going over, can't wait to get the Rally Raid Level 1 done when I'm able.

There was some really interesting bits on it that challenged me and it is really exciting from that perspective. No drops an just kept a steady pace picking my line also found its much better to get the Rally into 2nd an modulate on the clutch

It was nice doing it at my own pace just taking my time stopping when I needed to for a break actually amazing how hot I got as well.

Didn't get any pics of the tricker bits but did have my gopro on so looking forward to learning watching it back to see where I can improve.

Eventually all the tension (Although I was trying to keep loose) melted away and I was flowing much better on the Rally the pace picked up a little and things seemed easy that I'd struggled with and felt like I was flowing over stuff.

Every day's a learning day and I'm learning alot :) feeling so much better about the trips we've got planned an once I get some off road training as well it's really gonna help at the moment though I'm just loving learning at my own pace.

Was great seeing so many people out having fun.

Today really convinced me on the Rally 100+ miles of b road riding and Houndkirk Moor green laning then back over the cat and fiddle in the dark. It also amazed me how much narrower the CRF is compared to the Himalayan I had when stood up (did a basic lane on that) gives such a nice feel.

I ended up doing stuff today I could have only dreamed off yesterday :) can't wait to do the trip next year now.

Return to “WE LOVE PICS”