I used to work in Distribution for an Oil Company

Found a great video then post it up here. It doesn't have to be about bikes.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: I used to work in Distribution for an Oil Company

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

And there you are...it's work that requires additional qualifications, there's more hazard and responsibility, and no more money in it than running tins of beans from the factory to an RDC.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Mr Johnson has promised that all that tory nonsense will stop soon, and drivers and all workers will be given due recognition, by way of pay and conditions, for the valuable work they do ......
:) :)

brexit and the tory party have put an end to cheap slave labour, globalisation and exploitation of the work force

I believe ... I believe
Richard Simpson Mark II

Talking to a mate...there's now a shortage of coach and bus drivers as those with dual entitlement have heeded the Govt call-up letter and trucked off!

Then there's the army reservists who will, inevitably, be called up from their regular jobs driving trucks to go and drive trucks.

What a Government we have...
Geecee68

Post by Geecee68 »

garyboy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:08 pm Mr Johnson has promised that all that tory nonsense will stop soon, and drivers and all workers will be given due recognition, by way of pay and conditions, for the valuable work they do ......

brexit and the tory party have put an end to cheap slave labour, globalisation and exploitation of the work force

I believe ... I believe
So I can't tell whether you are being serious or not, so I hope you don't mind me sharing my view on this.

Exploitation is definitely wrong. If we had forced the drivers/farm labourers/butchers to come here and taken their passports off them then that would be exploitation. We didn't do that. They were economic migrants. They had skills that we needed to fill at a particular price.

EU rules meant that they could come here via Freedom of Movement (FOM) and work here legally. Many did, thats Economic Migration. That big pool meant the country could grow faster than other countries. So we have stopped FOM now. Now they can't work here, and we can't go and work or live there (Personally I don't like that, makes me feel caged in). Without access to that labour pool, the price of everything will go up.

I think this is new information for a lot of people, and had they clocked on that this was the outcome, they might have made different decisions.
simonw

Post by simonw »

Geecee68 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:16 pm<snip> I think this is new information for a lot of people, and had they clocked on that this was the outcome, they might have made different decisions.
grenade.jpg
grenade.jpg (6.76 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
Richard Simpson Mark II

I think a lot of people were well aware that a smaller labour pool would mean they could negotiate their wages up, and hence they voted Brexit.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Geecee68 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:16 pm
garyboy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:08 pm Mr Johnson has promised that all that tory nonsense will stop soon, and drivers and all workers will be given due recognition, by way of pay and conditions, for the valuable work they do ......

I believe ... I believe
So I can't tell whether you are being serious or not, so I hope you don't mind me sharing my view on this.

Exploitation is definitely wrong. If we had forced the drivers/farm labourers/butchers to come here and taken their passports off them then that would be exploitation. We didn't do that. They were economic migrants. They had skills that we needed to fill at a particular price.

EU rules meant that they could come here via Freedom of Movement (FOM) and work here legally. Many did, thats Economic Migration. That big pool meant the country could grow faster than other countries. So we have stopped FOM now. Now they can't work here, and we can't go and work or live there (Personally I don't like that, makes me feel caged in). Without access to that labour pool, the price of everything will go up.

I think this is new information for a lot of people, and had they clocked on that this was the outcome, they might have made different decisions.

i was talking about exploitation of us .. the british people .... or .. in my case .. the welsh .. lol.. (as UK wages have been driven down, forcing a type of slave labour market, zero hours contracts, fire and re-hire etc)

.. and we CAN work in the EU and they can work here .. its just not so simple now. as a right ..

ps GC ... dont bring up brexit ... or perhaps i did? ..... I shudda known better on this site lol
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:19 pm I think a lot of people were well aware that a smaller labour pool would mean they could negotiate their wages up, and hence they voted Brexit.
perhaps they wanted the end of slavery
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:18 pm And there you are...it's work that requires additional qualifications, there's more hazard and responsibility, and no more money in it than running tins of beans from the factory to an RDC.
Hoyer have cut everything possible, treating the drivers horrendously and that is why they`re leaving the refineries in droves, to drive in other sectors. Having an ADR qualification no longer pays a premium over general haulage which is why I didn`t renew it, especially as I was paying over £600 a go to do the full course
Richard Simpson Mark II

Like I said, it's just market forces in operation. Turn a job to sh1t to make a bit of money in the short-term, don't be surprised if people leave and don't come back.

I heard of a coach operator today who sacked 60 drivers at the start of covid: didn't even put them on furlough. Now, he wants them back. But those with truck licences are now driving trucks, and those without truck licences are now taking the place of other dual-licence drivers who have packed up bus and coach driving to go on the trucks.

Return to “VIDEOS”