akaso action camera

Found a great video then post it up here. It doesn't have to be about bikes.
bikenav

akaso action camera

Post by bikenav »

anybody with any experience of this brand action camera ? AKASO if so which model ? have they been reliable? etc. I am looking for something for reasonable money and only need a practical suitable quality for youtube . I wont pay pro money.
simonw

Re: akaso action camera

Post by simonw »

bikenav wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:43 pm anybody with any experience of this brand action camera ? AKASO if so which model ? have they been reliable? etc. I am looking for something for reasonable money and only need a practical suitable quality for youtube . I wont pay pro money.
Yes. Brave 4 & V50 Native. Yes they've been reliable. Quality is ok for a cheap camera, though obviously not as good output as a GoPro. The biggest difference in noticeable quality is that the colours are not as vibrant as the GoPro. The problem I've had with the cheaper cameras, which I've used to record road journeys almost exclusively, is vibration from the bike. Potholes and bumps are less of a problem, as you sort of expect to see them (and if you don't it looks a bit unnatural), but vibration from the engine can result in really poor footage. I messed around with a whole raft of different measures to try to fix it - mounted to a pipe filled with ball bearings, sorbothane mountings etc - all without success. By chance, I saw someone post some GoPro Hero 7 Black footage on a different forum, which was almost completely devoid of vibration, so I bit the bullet and bought one. Really wish I'd done it sooner, as it would have saved a ton of time messing around trying to fix the problem. The GoPro has a feature called Hypersmooth, which effectively cancels out most of the vibration in software - it's really quite impressive.
Heff

Post by Heff »

Cant help you with that model, but I bought a used GoPro Hero 4 Silver for £50 off fleabay last year.

Brilliant quality for not much money 8-)
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Same with me on vibration.

I got a free GoPro Hero (vanilla version) with a broadband contract a couple of years ago and it was great on the Tiger 800. When I changed bikes to the R1250RS, vibration / image shake was immediately evident.

I plumped for the Hero 8 black as the 9 was due out and the price dropped significantly and I had the mounts set up, vibration gone when image stability turned on.

A long winded way of saying test whatever camera you get for vibration / image stability as it can make or break the video.
andrew882

Post by andrew882 »

I'd agree 100% with the comments above on stabilisation - if you can find a good one secondhand go for a gopro 7 or 8. The interface is very good and the stabilaisation is great (especially on the 8).
simonw

Post by simonw »

andrew882 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:44 pm I'd agree 100% with the comments above on stabilisation - if you can find a good one secondhand go for a gopro 7 or 8. The interface is very good and the stabilaisation is great (especially on the 8).
Make sure it's a Hero 7 Black if you opt for a 7, because the White and Silver models (that's what they're called) do not have stabilisation.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond with their experiences. Going through the relevant (contradictory) youtube vids my conclusion is that the higher end Akaso's are not too bad in many conditions but shaking about on the trail and particularly in low light conditions a used gopro maybe a better way to go. Not crossed off either direction at this time, unsure of buying a electronic gadget used see what comes a long.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

bikenav wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:21 pm unsure of buying a electronic gadget used see what comes a long.
I mainly buy second hand / reconditioned electronics; ignoring anything clearly damaged, they tend to either be heavily used but well cared for, or barely touched. Certainly don't discount em
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
simonw

Post by simonw »

I just had a quick thought about this. The cheap action cameras do suffer from vibration if you mount them to the bike, but if you mount them to your lid you might not have a problem, as your body acts as a (very good) shock absorber.
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Lid mounting is naturally anti vibration.

Helmet cams don't have to be mounted on the top or side. Itchy Boots (check out YouTube) uses a chin mount for her videos. She had to import it to Holland from the USA.

https://www.proshotcam.com

If necessary it can be moulded to shape to fit the helmet using a heat gun.

https://www.proshotcam.com/community

tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...

Return to “VIDEOS”