this guy's videos get better and better

Found a great video then post it up here. It doesn't have to be about bikes.
Richard Simpson Mark II

this guy's videos get better and better

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

True class...like Clarkson era Top Gear, only on two wheels...and in Canada

Billy Bananahead

Re: this guy's videos get better and better

Post by Billy Bananahead »

I suppose he would have said the same thing about the UK spec VT500. I had two during my affair with despatch riding in the Smoke.
I thought they were great little bikes, went everywhere, short runs, long runs, couldn't fault them, economical, light, powerful enough for many DR's of the day. I hated the inboard ventilated front disc and wish Honda had put something like the one on the Ascot on the VT.
Anyway, horses for courses, that was just two of many bikes i had during my stint and what it was all about was the shaft drive for ease of maintenance but then finished my career riding first an FJ1100 then the 12. Hey hey, the good old days.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The VT500 was a great workhorse for the DRs...the Ford Transit of the two-wheeled world. Much less clumsy than the CX500.

Looking at the Ascot, you can't help think that it was ahead of its time....there are quite a few 'street trackers' on sale now, from China-built 125s to that monstrous Indian. I guess the engine was basically a CX turned 90 degrees to give a transverse crank? Some aspects of it are visually attractive...like the tank. Did Honda do something a bit similar with an XL500 single engine for Europe?
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:55 pm Did Honda do something a bit similar with an XL500 single engine for Europe?
Yes an FT500 Ascot, somewhere between an XL and XR in power but with electric start.
soho

Post by soho »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:46 am True class...like Clarkson era Top Gear, only on two wheels...and in Canada

If I'm honest I always found Clarkson's delivery one of 'sniggering belittlement' rather than being comedic and only very slightly informative, with little actual knowledge of anything but public schoolboy humour.

Where as this young guy has an engaging delivery on subjects of which he obviously has good knowledge of, and he's likeable too.
(you can tell I was never a Monty Python type either ) . :lol:
dodursley

Post by dodursley »

I had an Ascot twice, brought it from an importer in 2000 ish kept it a few years and sold it locally. Saw it advertised locally (2012?) and bought it back and ran it for another couple of years and sold it on again. Recently I saw it at a Bideford Bike Day (2019?) then painted all black and rather rattish! Enjoyable, rare and different from Transalps and Africa Twins (750) that I generally ride. They share the same type of stagger crank engine though with chain drive.
DSCF2554.JPG
DSCF2554.JPG (123.21 KiB) Viewed 3267 times

Return to “VIDEOS”