Who works for the Gov and what about these cuts?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Alun

Who works for the Gov and what about these cuts?

Post by Alun »

The level of noise coming from the media and Government about the impending public spending cuts has reached almost deafening proportions over the past week. And today I've heard on the radio that the BBC intends to broadcast a weeks worth of programs about the 'cuts'. Nice.

The problem I have with all this news is that most of it appears to be coming from controlled Government leaks ahead of the hard news from the spending cuts review which is due to be announced in about 5 weeks time.

So, who on here works in the public sector and how bad is it looking from where you're sitting?
Mr Toad

Re:Who works for the Gov and what about these cuts?

Post by Mr Toad »

Both me and the best girl work work for different public sector organisations,for me we are looking at how we can cope/do what we do with either 10%, 20% or even 40% less money and for an orgainsation that spends between 80% and 86% of it's budget on staff wages it means not replacing staff. What we are being told is that the saving need to be made over four years, so the staff losses will proably just be through natural wastage, retirements, people moving on etc. The good ladies organisation has a recruitment freeze, nationally they have identified what they have called front line critical roles. All vacancies must be filled from internal movement, then if they can't do that, only the critical roles can go out to outside adverts and then only with the secretary of states approval. And at the moment they are looking at how they can trim out management staff, arguebaly the none 'coal diggers'. Certainly the furture is going to mean a lot less money and for public sector organisationsthe wages bill is the biggest part of their budget. But the detail will not be known until the spending review comes out in October and then organisations will have to look into the 'weeds' to see what they must do to save the money. But saving paper clip or electricity or even reducing the number of vehicles in an organisation is not going to save the amount of money the Government and the Senior staff are talking about at the moment.
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
foley

Post by foley »

The Mrs and me both work in the public sector. Both have been hit with a pay freeze and our Dept is pretty much in the same position as Mr Toads, relying on natural wastage to meet the cuts. I've been very lucky to secure a recent promotion thanks to wanting to work in an area where they have trouble recruiting (wet and windy North Wales:lol:). Other than that there's very little prospect of promotion. Everyone's digging in and hoping to weather the storm.
E.T.

Post by E.T. »

Well I don't..I was made redundant a couple of weeks back. But in the dole centre the guy there that was interviewing me was saying that a whole raft of them are likely to be made redundant in the next few weeks.

Sorry but he was really seeking sympathy from the wrong person. TBH I didn't need his service, it was a waste of his and my time, I lost an entire morning of job hunting, to be told how to look for a job in an industry he had never heard of, and that he couldn't neatly catagorise me into. Nothing for smoke ventilation at all (even though every building over 11m needs it (there was a entry for ventriloquists though).

What was stupid is that he just took down all the same details that I had already submitted on my on line application (why did I bother??)...Not his fault at all, of course, but it does prove how inefficient it all is. One certainly couldn't run a business like that.

Then I was given a booklet to right down at least 3 activities A WEEK!!! that I was completing - I'm actually doing something like 20 a day, research and phone calls, magazines, web etc. Then there was the question of whether I needed a translator. Er why are we spending public money translating stuff (sorry got me going here).

Anyway there are a load of public services that need streamlining properly IMHO...they live in the same economy as the private sector workers and will need to live with the consequences of years of overspending the same as everyone else.

(Probaby not a very PC post is it :dry:)
MidnightSerenity

Re:Who works for the Gov and what about these cuts

Post by MidnightSerenity »

E.T. wrote:

(Probaby not a very PC post is it :dry:)
Hmm....I tend to agree with you Mr E.T - there is an awful lot of time and energy and money spent on 'PC' issues/concerns...it almost feels like we have to be reminded like naughty school kids to remember our manners!!

There has also been a lot of money wasted in creating jobs that are not really jobs...for example, in Hertfordshire (where I used to live), government funding was made available for at least 2-3 Admin Officers for what was called 'The Walking Bus' - a scheme to encourage children and their parents to walk to school!! I can't imagine these people being retained during these huge cuts....wonder what they actually did on a day-to-day basis?! :blink:
Asgard

Re: Who works for the Gov and what about these cuts?

Post by Asgard »

20220108_145336.jpg
20220108_145336.jpg (66.2 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
Old thread but not worth starting new one, just thought id share a pic of the best Christmas prezzie I got this year

I shall wear it with pride :D

Its a trick............get an Axe
RH_SCOTLAND

Re: Who works for the Gov and what about these cuts?

Post by RH_SCOTLAND »

Over the last ten years, 3 times I’ve had 1% pay rise, 7 times I’ve had no pay rise.

Since 2010, we have lost 20% of our workforce. Through natural wastage at least.

Now they are preparing a raft of real cuts and redundancies.

The remaining 80% have taken on the work of the 20% we’ve lost. And all the additional work we’ve taken on.

We are not at all unique as public servants, that is the widespread reality for the public sector in 2022 and since the original post.
Some people are alive simply because its illegal to kill them....

Return to “THE PUB”