Post by Bushman_uk »

close your eye's ladies
Tatu_sauna.jpg
Tatu_sauna.jpg (21.92 KiB) Viewed 1951 times

The playground body In a sauna in Tatu after a long hard ride from Tallin
backofbeyond

Re:How fit are you?

Post by backofbeyond »

You'd have to very self-confident to reply to this topic along the lines of "I'm ultra fit and all you slobs should be ashamed of yourselves"!

Over the years a desire to get off the couch and get do something about my fitness levels has waxed and waned in the usual way. Whenever I've had a long trip in the pipeline I've treated getting a bit fitter / losing a bit of weight as one of the items on the prep list. My benchmark has been whether I can fit into a pair of leather jeans that I bought many years ago. If I can - that'll do.

Three years ago I saw a narrow window of opportunity to do a trip down to West Africa the following year so I started the prep - both bike and me. My brother in law is a keen runner and convinced me it would be a good method of getting in shape. As I had about a year I thought I'd be able to get seriously fit, so I stuck with the training. The following autumn (2008), seven weeks before departure, I'd lost a lot of weight and was running well enough to enter one of his club races. Two miles into the five mile race I felt something give way in my left foot. I'd broken a bone and spent the best part of the next six months either in plaster or on crutches. That was the end of the bike trip.

Moral of the story - sometimes fat beats fit.

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Right now, not very...

I have a cold, and I managed to put my back-out this morning.

Presently lying in bed in not insignificant pain, dreaming of reincarnation as an invertebrate...
:(
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

I'm getting there. This time 2 years ago i was at my fittest and feeling my best, i was playing rugby 5 times a week, and going to the gym 4 times, so i was pretty in shape.

Then i had heart surgery last september and another surgery in october and everything went downhill, until about a month and a half ago. I went on a cycle tour around Europe with a mate, and it was exactly the kick start i needed. I lost just over half a stone on the trip and my resting heart rate went from being 90-100 to a nice 66.

I have before and after pics as well if you'd like to see them ;)
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

No excerise, but I do eat healthy stuff, if you include the salad round the quarterpounder

Seriously, when I gave up the fags I put on a fair bit then wrecked my back lifting one roof tile, since then a series of back problems.
Last year I was told that I was on the verge of a gaut breakout, my biking is more important so I changed my diet cut meat out by 75% and shed 2 stone in 6 weeks.
I just havn't got the same drive to get back to former fitness so I'll ride instead of walking
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

Alun

Post by Alun »

snaphappy wrote:
I changed my diet cut meat out by 75% and shed 2 stone in 6 weeks.
Have you ever thought of penning the 'Snaphappy Diet' a best seller no doubt.

I've dropped 8lb this week and that's despite going to an Elvis night in the local Indian last night. Mind you I stuck to Tandoori and Ticka chicken
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Alun wrote:
snaphappy wrote:

I've dropped 8lb this week and that's despite going to an Elvis night in the local Indian last night. Mind you I stuck to Tandoori and Ticka chicken

Blimey, you guys must be chopping lumps off with an axe to lose that much so quickly.

My wife's been on Weightwatchers 1200 cals /day regime for the last three months so that's all I get as well. We run at least 20 miles a week on top and I've lost about 5kg / 12lbs over that time. No cheating on the diet either!

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
Alun

Post by Alun »

backofbeyond wrote:
Alun wrote:
snaphappy wrote:

Blimey, you guys must be chopping lumps off with an axe to lose that much so quickly.

My wife's been on Weightwatchers 1200 cals /day regime for the last three months so that's all I get as well. We run at least 20 miles a week on top and I've lost about 5kg / 12lbs over that time. No cheating on the diet either!
A lot depends on how much you weigh at the start, but the axe does help.
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

The fear of getting gout also helped
I cut out all sorts but never went hungry; we even made our own bread with no yeast
I was surprised at how fast I dumped the weight and it’s been easy to keep it down.
I weighed 15stone, gout by all accounts runs in my family I thought it was a fat mans problem ‘cos I have really fat relatives and they have gout
No snaphappy diet we just looked at diet for gout avoidence and found loads of stuff
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

MidnightSerenity

Post by MidnightSerenity »

Bryn wrote:
I'm getting there. This time 2 years ago i was at my fittest and feeling my best, i was playing rugby 5 times a week, and going to the gym 4 times, so i was pretty in shape.

Then i had heart surgery last september and another surgery in october and everything went downhill, until about a month and a half ago. I went on a cycle tour around Europe with a mate, and it was exactly the kick start i needed. I lost just over half a stone on the trip and my resting heart rate went from being 90-100 to a nice 66.

I have before and after pics as well if you'd like to see them ;)

Go on then Master Bryn...lets see the before and after shots....!! :P

Return to “THE PUB”